• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Thinking about JJ's worth with our new "motion" offense

Admin

• Premium Member

I believe it was on ESPN that I read where Joe Johnson was the most efficient player in the league last year at scoring off of the pick and roll but that we ran him ISO 4 times as often as we ran him off of a PnR and that makes me think that while the JJ we've seen the past couple of years isn't a 6 yr/120 mil player the new offense would hopefully take advantage of his skills and could increase his scoring by 5-6 points simply due to efficiency of use. I think that a guy averaging 26 points, 5 assists and 5 rebounds a game while playing solid defense could be considered a max player.

Your thoughts?

I think you may also see his assists go up. I wouldn't think 5-6 ponits on the ppg but if I had to guess. 24-7-4. But don't be drawn away by stats. The truth is that it's about the value to us. I think his value to us is far more important than Stats can define.

Basically, JJ is a pretty good shooter with people in his face all day long. In a motion offense with constant passing you will see a lot more open shots for joe. With more open shots there are obviously going to be more points. In point, if this new motion offense works then I will guesstimate 24-25ppg for JJ. Whether that is worth max money is for everyone to decide for themselves.

• Moderators

I don't know that JJ's ppg really increases in a motion offense. What I would hope to see is more even distribution of the ball and JJ's scoring stay about the same with a significant rise in efficiency as we work to get him easier looks.

You can still have motion with the ball in Joe's or Jamal's hands. It's just that the people off the ball need to be moving or setting screens, so that a possible easier shot can be had.

But I do agree with you though. Most good offenses are ran by good PGs. This means that Teague has to be a legit threat both scoring and passing the ball.

If he's not, JJ will have no choice but to have the ball in His hands. And that's nowhere near as bad as people make it out to be, seeing that he can score, pass, and has a low turnover number.

People may think that ISO JJ and Jamal will completely disappear, but it's not. If anything, you may see a lot less ISO Smoove and Horford, and more JJ making quicker decisions with the basketball.

the problem with joe handling the ball is that he is score first, score second, pass third. when we ran iso with smoove there were countless times that smoove would find someone for a good shot or at least try to find someone. joe rarely found people for good shots. i know he averages a decent amount of assists, but that is by defult, he handles the ball an enormous amount of the time, so he has no choice but get assist. yes joe is a good passer, but passing really isn't his thing. he needs to be set up for his shot, not setting people up for theirs. teague better be the truth, or its more of the same.

having a new coach offers hope . . . . but we still have some of the same knuckle heads. We'll see how coachable they are with Drew?

joe was the bigest offender in our stupid offense as he always trys to dominate the ball

the problem with joe handling the ball is that he is score first, score second, pass third. when we ran iso with smoove there were countless times that smoove would find someone for a good shot or at least try to find someone. joe rarely found people for good shots. i know he averages a decent amount of assists, but that is by defult, he handles the ball an enormous amount of the time, so he has no choice but get assist. yes joe is a good passer, but passing really isn't his thing. he needs to be set up for his shot, not setting people up for theirs. teague better be the truth, or its more of the same.

i agree with you 100%

You can still have motion with the ball in Joe's or Jamal's hands. It's just that the people off the ball need to be moving or setting screens, so that a possible easier shot can be had.

But I do agree with you though. Most good offenses are ran by good PGs. This means that Teague has to be a legit threat both scoring and passing the ball.

If he's not, JJ will have no choice but to have the ball in His hands. And that's nowhere near as bad as people make it out to be, seeing that he can score, pass, and has a low turnover number.

People may think that ISO JJ and Jamal will completely disappear, but it's not. If anything, you may see a lot less ISO Smoove and Horford, and more JJ making quicker decisions with the basketball.

ive never seen joe make fast decisions. he dribbles until 4 people close in on him this is why he has 2 or 3 people on him, he lets them gang up on him,they know he wouldnt hit the open men. this is what i hate about him, he stagnates our offense