• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

ESPN "experts" not looking so "expert" for now

sturt

• Premium Member

I think everyone's a little surprised that the ASG offered the max.

That has to be the understatement of the century. I still don't understand why they offered Joe the max unless we are making major trades or they really are selling the team.

• Premium Member

I think everyone's a little surprised that the ASG offered the max.

Apologies to Stein whose very quick mention at the very end of his blurb eluded me on first scan.

I've never respected ESPN analysts and I never will. When it comes to the Hawks, they don't know sh*t. I don't even watch ESPN unless they are showing the Hawks games....and sometimes I don't even want to watch it because of their horrible announcers.

I can't blame them though for this though. Almost everybody in the media and almost every NBA fan thought that Joe Johnson will never be a Hawk again.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?page=FreeAgency-100630

Eight of them, and not one of them EVEN MENTION THE POSSIBILITY that Joe would re-sign in ATL.

What does that tell you?

No one, outside Atlanta, wants to hear about JJ staying in Atlanta prior to July 1.

They had to pump up the whole player movement thing to peak interest in as many markets as possible. Its business.

Talk about JJ staying in LA and meeting with the Mavs, NY, NJ, Bulls, Houston, Clippers, Miami, excites all of those fan bases, in larger markets, and increases ratings.

Its just a big media game.

While even we are a little shocked the fact that of him staying in Atlanta, the fact that possibility was never even being discussed is "ratings gamesmanship."

Edited by coachx

No one, outside Atlanta, wants to hear about JJ staying in Atlanta prior to July 1.

They had to pump up the whole player movement thing to peak interest in as many markets as possible. Its business.

Talk about JJ staying in LA and meeting with the Mavs, NY, NJ, Bulls, Houston, Clippers, Miami, excites all of those fan bases, in larger markets, and increases ratings.

Its just a big media game.

While even we are a little shocked the fact that of him staying in Atlanta, the fact that possibility was never even being discussed is "ratings gamesmanship."

"Ratings gamesmanship"

That's a great term to describe what went on. That's why I trust none of their "unnamed sources". I fully believe all they do is go to a team's message board or blog, and try to gauge whatever they read on there, and try to formulate an opinion. The AJC Blogs are much more negative and hateful toward Joe Johnson, than anything you see here. Even the guys that may not like JJ, at the very least respect his game and what he brings to the table . . . even if they don't believe he's a star player.

And I agree . . . those writers know NOTHING about the Hawks. Hell, up until the 2008 season, ESPN listed Josh as our SF and Marvin as our PF.

Those writers didn't get the Rudy Gay situation in Memphis right either . . . because they know nothing about Memphis as well. I didn't think for one minute that the Griz would let one of their most popular and exciting players get away from them. Not when they have the cap space and an expiring contract like Zach that they can let fall off the books. With the college team Memphis Tigers falling back to earth, they have a chance to become equal to them basketball-wise in Memphis again. Memphis is a college basketball town. But if the Griz can improve on what they did last year,the people will come out and support them more.

Memphis and Atlanta had to protect their assets by somewhat overpaying for them. When you're a franchise that isn't a free agent destination for most good players, you really can't blame either franchise for doing what they did.

• Moderators

Where will Joe Johnson sign?

Abbott: Los Angeles Clippers. The also-ran of teams with max cap space meets the also-ran of max free agents. More likely than 50-50? No.

Adande: New York Knicks. Because it's less likely than 50-50 that they get LeBron ... and Johnson has long been considered the Knicks' Plan B. More likely than 50-50? Yes.

Arnovitz: Dallas Mavericks. They are intent on improving and could situate Johnson on the wing with an aggressive sign-and-trade offer. More likely than 50-50? No.

Coon: New York Knicks. If the Knicks strike out on LeBron, a frontcourt-backcourt tandem that includes Quiet Joe makes sense for New York -- but does New York make sense for Joe? More likely than 50-50? No.

Ford: Chicago Bulls. They have been high on Johnson all year, and they have a big need at the 2. More likely than 50-50? No.

Hollinger: New York Knicks. I think he lands there unless the Knicks get a LeBron-Bosh duo. More likely than 50-50? Probably so.

Sheridan: Chicago Bulls. Aside from LeBron, he is the best option for what they need. More likely than 50-50? No.

Stein: Los Angeles Clippers. If there's a harder call on this list, I don't want to see it. You can easily make a case for Johnson winding up with the Clips, Knicks, Bulls or staying with the Hawks. More likely than 50-50? No.

Pasted it in for safe keeping. I think that's hysterical. Despite the fact that its a whole lot of money the one thing you can count on with the ASG is not so much being cheap but its playing it safe and overvaluing our players. It may seem like a monetary risk but its really the safest move they could make in terms of fielding a competitive team. Joe will still be tradeable the next couple years i would think. To the Knicks anyway.