• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Sheridan reporting Joe wants to see how things develop

sturt

• Premium Member

Of course they do. That's just the nonsense spouted by those who don't understand what S&T's are for.

Hold up... how do you do a SnT until the free agent decides what he wants to do? There's a reason why it's sign and trade, not trade and sign.

• Premium Member

I didn't suggest that.

I'm not following you. I asked what you want them to do. You said something about SnTs. What are you suggesting, then, that they can do?

• Premium Member

I'm not talking about that at all.

I'm saying the Hawks are not as "backed into a corner" with Joe as everyone in Atlanta makes it seem. I'm saying this argument that "they can't afford to let Joe go" is wrong.

Unless they have a plan on making a big trade for a big name I'd definitely rather let JJ go than sign him to a six year max deal.

I could care less if it is a big name. I just want them to make a move to get another player that will help generate wins.

• Premium Member

I could care less if it is a big name. I just want them to make a move to get another player that will help generate wins.

And that's not happening in the post 2010 FA market in the Eastern conference unless we get a big name.

• Premium Member

You all know I don't believe that Joe is worth the six-year max to the Hawks, but if the Hawks believe that, then they need to do what Cleveland is doing and refuse to do a S&T.

Because?

I see no point in limiting our options. Let the poker game develop and make an informed choice, not a premature one.

• Premium Member

Because, if Joe is as valuable to the Hawks as their offer indicates, they cannot afford to wait for the dominoes to fall. It'd be different if there were fewer teams out there with the realistic ability to sign two max players (or if LeBron wasn't a FA). In this crazy summer, limiting Joe's options is a must.

(They already limited their own options by giving him the max out of the gate).

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=5350787

Joe Johnson already has a six-year max offer from the Atlanta Hawks, but still hadn't committed to signing it Friday because he wants to see how things shake out with the other maximum-salary free agents, two NBA sources told ESPN.com Friday night.

Sources said Johnson was still considering whether it would be a better career move to play in New York or Chicago, and his ultimate decision would hinge upon which of the top free agents make commitments to those teams.

Johnson

Johnson

The Knicks were the first team to meet with Johnson when he became a free agent at 12:01 a.m. ET Thursday, making it known that he was among the players atop their wish list. The Bulls contacted Johnson as well, but did not meet with him.

When Atlanta quickly offered Johnson approximately $119 million over six years -- nearly $27 million more than any other team could offer -- it was believed the four-time All-Star was no longer available.

But sources said his continued hesitancy to commit to the deal was a sign that Johnson wanted to keep his options open.

One source said the chances of Johnson accepting Atlanta's offer were "slightly" better that 50-50.

If Johnson chose a team other than the Hawks, he could still sign a max contract if a sign-and-trade could be worked out.

The Knicks have reportedly told Amare Stoudemire they are prepared to offer him a five-year contract worth approximately $99 million, but New York was not ready to make any hard commitment until the free agent market developed further. The Knicks plan to wait for updates from Chris Bosh, who spoke with them Friday morning, LeBron James, who they met with Thursday afternoon, and Dwyane Wade, who met with Knicks officials in Chicago on Friday and described himself as "intrigued" by New York.

The Knicks' contingent returned to New York after the meeting with Bosh and Wade in Chicago, and is expected to hold its first face-to-face meeting with Stoudemire over the weekend.

The Bulls, meanwhile, spent 2½ hours in a second meeting with Wade on Friday night as ESPN.com's Chad Ford reported Wade was on the fence about joining his hometown team.

James will meet with Bulls officials in Cleveland on Saturday afternoon after hearing the last-gasp pitch from the team he might leave, the Cleveland Cavaliers.

There has been no clear indication from James' camp as to when he will make his decision.

More or less he wants to hold the Hawks hostage to see if Wade or/and Lebron will go in a certain direction and if they do he will join them. If they don't, he will sign the deal and hold 40% of the cap space.

This is why I'm just about fed up with the NBA. I watched liked 15 minutes of the entire finals and barely any of the games after the Hawks were eliminated I've about had my fill of these pampered motherfuckers..

• Premium Member
More or less he wants to hold the Hawks hostage to see if Wade or/and Lebron will go in a certain direction and if they do he will join them.

Yes, I think so. And that's why the Hawks have to call his bluff sooner rather than later.

LeBron and Wade are both out there trying to figure out ways to get someone like Joe on their teams. Several teams are looking for ways to pair Wade or LeBron with someone like Joe. It may not happen, but the chance of it happening is great enough that the Hawks can't wait around.

Kinda bad on Joe coming back now. What will he tell his teammates/organization? "Well so much for Wade and Bron I will have to settle with you guys." :thumbsdownsmileyanim:

I never really liked Joe. His quiet personality in regards to the media doesn't fool me. A selfish spoiled brat burns deep inside him. He sulked pretty much all season even when the team was playing it's best ball. If he don't want to be here, that's understandable. Tell the Hawks you will not accept their offer. But to hold the franchise hostage and basically tell his current teammates their sloppy seconds isn't being much of a teammate. Sure as hell is not a leader or someone I would throw 25 million bucks at.

• Like 1

I never really liked Joe. His quiet personality in regards to the media doesn't fool me. A selfish spoiled brat burns deep inside him. He sulked pretty much all season even when the team was playing it's best ball. If he don't want to be here, that's understandable. Tell the Hawks you will not accept their offer. But to hold the franchise hostage and basically tell his current teammates their sloppy seconds isn't being much of a teammate. Sure as hell is not a leader or someone I would throw 25 million bucks at.

Well f***ing put my friend, +1 to you.

:write a letter:

Why does the NBA have this free agent - - But you can't sign any of them?

Simple. Look at all the publicity. Look at all these "Expert talking heads" as they over analize

everything said or done by everyone.

JJ is signed! JJ has not signed! JJ wants to look around before signing. JJ wants what is best for him.

JJ doesn't really care for the Atlanta Hawks as a team. It's just a place to work, regardless of where he goes.

All other NBA teams are in the same boat, thanks to the way things are done by the NBA. You are a free

agent now but you are not a free agent until later - - Gee! How nice!

:help wanted3:

GO DREAM!

13-4 FIRST PLACE!

:headphones: