• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Shaq Garnering interest

Guest Squawker

Guest Squawker

Chris Boussard

ESPN Magazine

Even at 38 years old, Shaquille O'Neal is drawing plenty of interest on the free agent market. Boston, Dallas and Atlanta have all expressed interest in O'Neal, according to league sources.

The discussions have been in the preliminary stages and no financial terms have been broached. But with each team being over the salary cap, they can offer O'Neal no more than the mid-level exception of $5.8 million per season.

O'Neal, who played with the Cleveland Cavaliers last season, would like to play two or three more seasons, according to sources close to the future Hall of Fame center.

An AOL Fanhouse report on Monday said O'Neal has been offered a two-year deal starting at the mid-level exception by Atlanta and that O'Neal is seriously considering it. However, his agent, Perry Rogers, denied that an offer had been made.

"We have had no offers from the Hawks,'' Rogers said.

O'Neal would be interested in playing for each of the three teams, sources close to him said.

He has great respect for Boston's coach, Doc Rivers, a good relationship with Kevin Garnett, and it was Shaq who gave Paul Pierce his nickname, "The Truth." With starting center, Kendrick Perkins, sidelined for up to six months after undergoing knee surgery to repair a torn ACL, O'Neal would seem to be a solid replacement.

O'Neal also has a strong relationship with Atlanta's new head coach, Larry Drew, who was a Lakers assistant coach for parts of O'Neal's tenure in Los Angeles. The Hawks' interest in O'Neal is based on his ability to matchup with Orlando Magic center Dwight Howard, who led the Magic to a four-game sweep of Atlanta in the second round of last year's playoffs.

O'Neal also has a close relationship with Dallas Mavericks star Dirk Nowitzki. Mavericks owner Mark Cuban has long had interest in bringing O'Neal to Dallas, where he could conceivably help the Mavericks matchup better against the Lakers.

While O'Neal, who averaged 12 points and 6.7 rebounds in 23 minutes a game last season, believes he is still a starting caliber player, being assured a spot in the first five is not a deal-breaker, the sources said.

If LeBron James re-signs with Cleveland, O'Neal, who has played 18 seasons, would also be open to returning to the Cavaliers, according to one of the sources. Cleveland is one of the few teams that could pay O'Neal more than the mid-level exception.

I think he'd fit with us better than Dallas. Especially of Dallas resigns Haywood. Shaq in Boston would be just Gay. They'd need a tub of Icy hot for every game.

the rumor is boston is after brad miller anyways plus there is another rumor that since sheed hasnt signed or turned in any retirement papers he may not be done with the celtics! I say we get shaq before boston atleast.

We should def jump on Shaq now I think he's the type of player we need. I know he's old but he could still be alot more of a presence then zaza. And him and Al are two huge dudes so that would give every team problems

While O'Neal, who averaged 12 points and 6.7 rebounds in 23 minutes a game last season, believes he is still a starting caliber player, being assured a spot in the first five is not a deal-breaker, the sources said.

Love that part !

Shaq in the ATL would be awsome.......even for just 20 - 22 minutes a game.

If you threw the ball (into the post) to Shaq with Horford guarding him 1 on 1 a hundred times --- Shaq would probably score 75 of them. If the situation were reversed, Horford would probably score only 25 - 35 times. And that is today, not 10 years ago, in my opinion.

I fail to understand the infatuation that many Hawks fans have with Horford. I like Horford, but in my opinion, he is "not all that". He does not appear to have much room for improvement, is very mechanical, does nothing particularly well enough to garner the "untouchable" status that Hawks fans seems to have for him. He would, however, make a great "piece" of a championship puzzle. No doubt. But the sheer talent doesn't seem to be there, imo.

Smith, on the other hand, is a remarkable talent with much more upside. But as we all know, something is severely missing there as well. Most prominent is the fact that he seems stubborn and is often an embarrasment and a detriment to the franchise with his childish expressions, behavior and poor shot selection. This, I believe, is why Horford is commonly seen as "untouchable" and a "must keep. He's the anti-Smoove. Or better put, the anti- BAD Smoove.

Anyway, back to Shaq, the belief that "he'd just be a bit of a better alternative than Zaza, Collins, etc" seems commonplace, but quite misplaced, imo. Horford and Zaza put together could not guard Shaq and neither could score consistently on him. And yes, he is considerably stronger and more powerful than that D.Howard, as well. It's not just a case of " at least he won't back down from .....". In fact, I believe the opposite is still the case ---- regardless of who lines up against him.

I have no idea if Shaq would play more than 50 games if signed. Or lead the Hawks out of the first round. Or be a locker room cancer. But I feel quite strongly that he is a better option (basketball-wise) on both sides of the ball to Al Horford ----- while at the same time not insinuating that I don't think Horford is a very valuable part of the team.

• Like 3

If you threw the ball (into the post) to Shaq with Horford guarding him 1 on 1 a hundred times --- Shaq would probably score 75 of them. If the situation were reversed, Horford would probably score only 25 - 35 times. And that is today, not 10 years ago, in my opinion.

I fail to understand the infatuation that many Hawks fans have with Horford. I like Horford, but in my opinion, he is "not all that". He does not appear to have much room for improvement, is very mechanical, does nothing particularly well enough to garner the "untouchable" status that Hawks fans seems to have for him. He would, however, make a great "piece" of a championship puzzle. No doubt. But the sheer talent doesn't seem to be there, imo.

Smith, on the other hand, is a remarkable talent with much more upside. But as we all know, something is severely missing there as well. Most prominent is the fact that he seems stubborn and is often an embarrasment and a detriment to the franchise with his childish expressions, behavior and poor shot selection. This, I believe, is why Horford is commonly seen as "untouchable" and a "must keep. He's the anti-Smoove. Or better put, the anti- BAD Smoove.

Anyway, back to Shaq, the belief that "he'd just be a bit of a better alternative than Zaza, Collins, etc" seems commonplace, but quite misplaced, imo. Horford and Zaza put together could not guard Shaq and neither could score consistently on him. And yes, he is considerably stronger and more powerful than that D.Howard, as well. It's not just a case of " at least he won't back down from .....". In fact, I believe the opposite is still the case ---- regardless of who lines up against him.

I have no idea if Shaq would play more than 50 games if signed. Or lead the Hawks out of the first round. Or be a locker room cancer. But I feel quite strongly that he is a better option (basketball-wise) on both sides of the ball to Al Horford ----- while at the same time not insinuating that I don't think Horford is a very valuable part of the team.

Amen.

I definitely agree with this entire post.

When I looked this up earlier, in my attempt to totally nullify everything Mark Bradley said in his thread about Shaq "not working in Atlanta", I have to admit that I was kind of shocked at what I saw.

SHAQ’S PER 36 MINUTE numbers last year

18.5 ppg

10.3 rebs

1.8 blks

2.3 asst

57% FG

50% FT ( 6.6 attempts . . made 3.3 of them )

HORFORD’S PER 36 MINUTE numbers last year

14.5 ppg

10.1 rebs

1.2 blks

2.4 asst

55% FG

79% FT ( 3.4 attempts . . made 2.7 of them )

SHAQ’S DEFENSIVE PER 48 MINUTE numbers

opponents eFG%: 46.8%

opponents iFG%: 47% ( iFG = inside FG percentage . . i.e. – defense around the rim )

opponents PPG: 15.5

opponents PER: 14.2

HORFORD’S DEFENSIVE PER 48 MINUTE numbers

opponents eFG%: 50.6%

opponents iFG%: 60% ( this is the reason why people complain about Horford’s defense . . the 60% number is about as high of a number that you’ll see out of all centers for the iFG% )

opponents PPG: 16.3

opponents PER: 16.5

I think we all want Smoove and Horford to be star players. But sometimes our fandom clouds what is really reality. If Shaq was that effective in limited minutes in Cleveland, if he even produced 80% of those numbers next year, it would be an upgrade to what we could put out on the floor.

Horford has a great mid-range jumper, but virtually no post up game ( especially against guys bigger than him ). Everytime he'd force the issue and tried to back people down, it was almost like watching Dikembe Mutumbo back in the day trying to do it. But his long mid-range jumper ( 16 - 23 ft ) was one of the best in the NBA last year for a player playing more than 30 minutes a game.

But as a legit low post threat, what you said was right on the money. If given 100 times to score, Horford MIGHT score 30 - 35 times on Shaq. Flip it around, and Shaq may score 65 - 75 times out of 100. And that's the difference.

I believe that overall that Horford is the better player. But he may not be the better center . . even at Shaq's old age.