• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Master Free Agent List

Dragitoff

• Moderators

The ASG and Sund basically decieved us into thinking they would add other veterans to the team who could actually contribute and would pay luxury tax. After making JJ the highest paid player in the sport I bought it.

We all wanted to use the 31st pick (Alabi, Whiteside) but their explanation for not using it was rational only if they lived up to their word of adding a solid veteran, with little risk, and thus far they have not.

My question was always if they could get a valued vet for that amount of money. That is why I kept going back to the Marcus Banks/Rajon Rondo example of bad fiscal management. Guys like Marcus Banks get outsized veteran deals every year in the NBA and we have seen it again this offseason. Guys like DeAndre Jordan or JaVale McGee generally don't even hit the FA market because their upside is too high for teams to let them go. So you have to either draft them, way overpay them, or trade for them and the easiest of those options to achieve without breaking the bank is to draft and resign your own guy.

One of the points I was making is that I was not sure the ASG's rationale would work out well even if they followed through with their promise of signing vets.

• 3 weeks later...

Can a mod pin this thread?? Would be nice to keep an accurate updated list like this handy

Based on the note at the top of the Homecourt screen from Dolfan 23, shouldn't this thread be in the "Around the NBA" forum?

Edited by Watchman

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

Here is an update later in the summer:

ZaZa's 1st deal was $4 mill per year for 4 years right ? That is pretty darn close.

Here is a list a FA that will be probably be $3 mill or cheaper per year. Many of these guys will be LLE players. I am bolding the players who will likely get more then the LLE in my mind but not over $3 mill.

Big Z -- Will not play for the Hawks for $3M/year

Johan Petro

Steve Blake

Drew Gooden - $3 mill is possible and would be a steal Will not play for the Hawks for $3M/year

Darko Milic Will not play for the Hawks for $3M/year

Chris Duhon

Channy Frye Will not play for the Hawks for $3M/year

Kyle Korver Will not play for the Hawks for $3M/year

Amir Johnson Will not play for the Hawks for $3M/year

Tony Allen

Ben Wallace Will not play for the Hawks for $3M/year

Kyle Lowry

Tim Thomas

CJ Watson Will not play for the Hawks for $3M/year

Marquis Daniels

Larry Hughes Will not play for the Hawks for $3M/year

Shannon Brown

Flip Murray

Earl Watson

Rafer Aslton

Damien Wilkens

Eddie House

Roger Mason

Theo Ratliff

Brad Miller - could play for the LLE on a contender. Good fit off the bench for teams running a triangle offense. -- Will not play for the Hawks for $3M/year

Brian Skinner

Craig Smith

Joel Anthony

Luke Ridnour

Kurt Thomas Will not play for the Hawks for $3M/year

Matt Barnes Will not play for the Hawks for $3M/year

Adone Foyle

Louise Amundson

Randy Foye Will not play for the Hawks for $3M/year

Matt Bonner

Rasho Nesterovic

Gooden down for $6M/year

Darko down for $5M/year

Amir Johnson down for $7M/year

Frye down for $6M/year

Duhon for $3.75M/year

Blake for $4M/year

Korver $5M/year

Petro $3.3M/year

Tony Allen $3.33M/year

Ben Wallace $1.9M/year (resigned with his beloved Pistons)

Kyle Lowry $6M/year

Randy Foye $4.25M/year

Big Z minimum deal to play with Miami/Lebron

Matt Bonner > $3.2M/year

Luke Ridnour for $4M/year

Brad Miller $5M/year

Craig Smith ~$2M/year

CJ Watson $3.3M/year

Matt Barnes offered $3.5M/year but wanted more to sign with someone other than a championship team; signed 2 year 3.6M deal with Lakers

Theo Ratliff $1.4M/year with the Lakers

Joel Anthony $3.6M/year

Kurt Thomas signed with Bulls for ??

Maruis Daniels signed for $2.5M/year

Eddie House signed with Miami for $1.4M/year

7/23 so far for players signed at or under $3M/season (Kurt Thomas presently unknown)

7/7 of the players signed at or under $3M signing (usually at a discount) with an elite/trendy contender or longtime home team

0/24 as far as players considering the Hawks at that price.

It appears its E. Thomas vs. Whiteside / Alabi.

I prefer the upside of the rookie 7 footers but hope Thomas can add some veteran toughness to the frontline that Joe Smith and Jason Collins failed miserably at.

Michael Cunningham uncovered an accounting trick that I think most of us were missing when Sund was "balancing the books."

http://blogs.ajc.com/hawks/2010/08/31/atlanta-hawks-summer-reading-al-jamal-etan-and-pape/?cxntfid=blogs_hawks

– The Hawks are expected to sign free agent center Etan Thomas within the next few days. The one-year deal would be worth the ninth-year vet’s minimum of $1.2 million, though the league would reimburse the Hawks for any amount above $854,389.

AHF, on 31 August 2010 - 02:40 PM, said:

How do you know the Hawks offered anyone a $3 mill contract ? I have read no such report. Not even with Shaq.

Do you have information your keeping from us ?

To my knowledge the Hawks have been trying to sign minimum salary guys so that the League will pick up the tap on the amount over $854 K.

Sund mislead us all when he made it sould like they would spend the same amount of money from the pick he sold on a veteran in free agency. I do think he was expecting to have a shot at more veterans for the minimum though. Then Miami signed the Big 3 and took many of them off the available free agent list.

Edited by coachx

How do you know the Hawks offered anyone a $3 mill contract ?

To my knowledge the Hawks have been trying to sign minimum salary guys so that the League will pick up the tap on the 1st $854 K of their deal.

Sund mislead us all when he made it sould like they would spend the same money on the traded pick as he would on a veteran in free agency.

• Moderators

It appears its E. Thomas vs. Whiteside / Alabi.

I prefer the upside of the rookie 7 footers but hope Thomas can add some veteran toughness to the frontline that Joe Smith and Jason Collins failed miserably at.

Michael Cunningham uncovered an accounting trick that I think most of us were missing when Sund was "balancing the books."

http://blogs.ajc.com/hawks/2010/08/31/atlanta-hawks-summer-reading-al-jamal-etan-and-pape/?cxntfid=blogs_hawks

So according the MC, the ASG would only be pulling $345,611 for Thomas or any veteran with 9 years in the league.

You switched the numbers. The Hawks aren't on the hook for any amount above the veteran minimum - "any amount above $854,389." Thus, the Hawks save $345,611 for Thomas versus the amount the player is paid but they still are on the hook for the $854,389.

Also, why was it E. Thomas v. Whiteside? Why not Jason Collins v. Whiteside? If we preferred Thomas to Collins, there is no reason we couldn't have gotten Thomas without Collins. I think most fans would prefer Thomas over Collins.

How do you know the Hawks offered anyone a $3 mill contract ?

To my knowledge the Hawks have been trying to sign minimum salary guys so that the League will pick up the tap on the 1st $854 K of their deal.

Sund mislead us all when he made it sould like they would spend the same money on the traded pick as he would on a veteran in free agency.

If we didn't offer a free agent $3M, then they can't have considered us for $3M. I agree we got a bait and switch with the explanation for the sale of Whiteside (or whoever else we wanted in the second round).

You switched the numbers. The Hawks aren't on the hook for any amount above the veteran minimum - "any amount above $854,389." Thus, the Hawks save $345,611 for Thomas versus the amount the player is paid but they still are on the hook for the $854,389.

Also, why was it E. Thomas v. Whiteside? Why not Jason Collins v. Whiteside? If we preferred Thomas to Collins, there is no reason we couldn't have gotten Thomas without Collins. I think most fans would prefer Thomas over Collins.

If we didn't offer a free agent $3M, then they can't have considered us for $3M. I agree we got a bait and switch with the explanation for the sale of Whiteside (or whoever else we wanted in the second round).

Your right on the math. I caught that too and edited my post.

I would assume Thomas has been holding out for money b/c like you said......most people think Thomas is better then Collins. I guess I see Thomas as an addition though technically speaking Collins is an addition too.

Agree 100% with your last paragraph.

Edited by coachx