Suns to offer Chills

pound4pound

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=5372405

The Phoenix Suns will make an offer to restricted free agent Josh Childress, a league source said, providing the former Hawks swingman an avenue back to the NBA after spending the last two seasons in Greece.

The move is intriguing because Childress fired Lon Babby as his agent and Babby is being considered as the Suns' next GM.

Exact terms of the offer sheet were not available.

If the Hawks match do they still have the mle? Reason being why not match Chills if the offer isnt crazy then make a trade or either Marv now or Chills later to get under or close to under the tax? Why let him walk for nothing?

Screw that bring him home sund. If he signs it match it anything short of 7 million per.

Match it and make some trades whether it be marvin or whatever.

Hell sund may have an eye on al jefferson knowing he may need to move smoove or al. Chillz will get done and things will fall into place. The hawks are lucky that chillz has a july 15 deadline to go back to europe.

Also they can trade chillz midseason if they match I believe. There is a moratorium to trade a guy you sign - I think its about half the season.

• Like 2

If the Hawks match do they still have the mle? Reason being why not match Chills if the offer isnt crazy then make a trade or either Marv now or Chills later to get under or close to under the tax? Why let him walk for nothing?

Yes they will have the mle

• Premium Member

I understand the concern of letting Chill walk for nothing, but after committing so much money to Joe Johnson and to Marvin last year, I highly doubt the Hawks match a substantial offer. They spoke the big talk of re-signing Joe Johnson as just being the first move of several and that they were ready to add the pieces neccesary to become a title contender even if it meant paying the luxury tax. So far, it looks like that was just a lot of hot air. Also, they've Crawford and Crawford under contract for next season. The numbers game appears to be against matching a solid offer.

I like chills game, match his offer and trade Marvin. I love his put backs on air balls.

if we match and it is over MLE. Marvin does need to be traded. But he is overpaid so I don't know who will take him other than the Cavs.

Edited by GameTime

True or False,

if the Hawks dont match an offer for Chilldress, wont his contract (that we previosly offered him) come off our books?

Answering this question. What we have on our books is a cap hold of 10.89 million for Chillz. If he signs with another team and we do not match, we no longer have that cap hold which gives us flexibility against the luxury tax but we would still be over the cap.

Look like the Suns are going to use some of the money from the TE from the Amare deal. They gotta know it will take more than MLE type of money to keep the Hawks from matching. If they want to overpay for him then go ahead.

[/quote

You can't break up a trade exception. It has to be used in 1 transaction.