• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Merged: Suns acquire Childress in a S&T for 2012 2nd & 3 mil TPE

GameTime

I would have to see what Toronto and Phoenix's cap situations look like but it might be complicated. So I cannot comment on that side, but Hollinger is 100% wrong about the Hawks. Surprise! Chill is BYC, Hawks would only get a TPE worth half of Chill's starting salary.

Maybe thats the reason for the two #'s he posted adding alot lower than5- 6 mil.

I would have to see what Toronto and Phoenix's cap situations look like but it might be complicated. So I cannot comment on that side, but Hollinger is 100% wrong about the Hawks. Surprise! Chill is BYC, Hawks would only get a TPE worth half of Chill's starting salary.

I don't doubt you on cap questions but MC says the TPE is the value of Chillz 1st year salary. Is he mistaken here?

http://blogs.ajc.com/hawks/2010/07/12/atlanta-hawks-childress-sign-and-trade-in-works/?cxntfid=blogs_hawks

12:09 am July 12, 2010, by Michael Cunningham The Hawks are discussing a sign-and-trade that would send forward Josh Childress to Phoenix for a second-round pick and a trade exception, a person with knowledge of the situation confirmed tonight.

Paul Coro of the Arizona Republic reported tonight that the deal is “on the verge” of completion.

If the deal is completed, Atlanta’s trade exception would be worth the amount of Childress’ first-year salary. The exception works as a sort of credit that would allow the Hawks to make a trade while over the salary cap without meeting the usual salary-matching requirement.

Atlanta drafted Childress with the No. 6 overall pick of the 2004 draft. He played four seasons with the Hawks before opting to sign a free-agent contract with Greek team Olympiakos in 2008. He has until Thursday to opt out of the final season of that three-year, $20 million deal.

MC

After reading what hawksfanatic wrote in anther thread, it's seems as if we can only spend it to equal the TE but not additionally to take on a larger contract. Basically, it's an useless LLE which is hard for us to sign anyone since no one thinks were contenders.

Edit: hawksfanatic, your confusing me with the numbers, what's right and what is wrong?

Edited by nbasuperstar40

I'm content with the deal. Now we have a chance to get 2 players...hopefully Shaq and someone else decent. I mean a couple decent players just got signed for around 3-4 million a year, Anthony Morrow to NJ and Dorell Wright to G.S. I think we could get a servicable player with the Childress TE. Look at it this way, if he went back to Greece we wouldn't have gotten anything. Just trying to look at the glass half full for all you pessimistes.

Can we use the TE to take on Posey contract is my main concern or only FA's?

Dam I thought Chills improved his value. This trade makes that Kurt Thomas and a 2nd the Bucks offered last year look like a steal. I hope there is more to it than what Arizona Rep is reporting.

TE's can only be used to trade for players on other teams.

Thanks.

I'm content with the deal. Now we have a chance to get 2 players...hopefully Shaq and someone else decent. I mean a couple decent players just got signed for around 3-4 million a year, Anthony Morrow to NJ and Dorell Wright to G.S. I think we could get a servicable player with the Childress TE. Look at it this way, if he went back to Greece we wouldn't have gotten anything. Just trying to look at the glass half full for all you pessimistes.

Exactly.

Chill was never coming back here. So getting anything for him would be a plus. With the trade exception, we can go out and get a player that would've cost more than the MLE . . . or a couple a decent players at MLE level or less.

IF Sund uses the TE, this is a good deal for Chill.

So in other words guys, we have to use this on players on a contract. Like Phx used it on Hedo. We have to use it on a player on a roster under contract. No Shaq, T-Mac, Brad Miller, or Kwame.

Can we use this to get Shaq though? If the tpe is 3 mil and right now all we can offer Shaq is the mle: Can we trade the 2nd round pick to Clev for Shaq signed at more than the mle using just the 2nd round pick?

Edited by NJHAWK

From what I understand a TE can only be used to aquire a player by itself. If its a 3 million TE then we can only use it to trade for a 3 million dollar contract. We can't package it with the MLE for a player and we can't package it with another player contract.

So in other words guys, we have to use this on players on a contract. Like Phx used it on Hedo. We have to use it on a player on a roster under contract. No Shaq, T-Mac, Brad Miller, or Kwame.

This. We will have to make a trade people. It is not like free cash.

I guess we will find out tomorrow what the TE is really worth.

From what I understand a TE can only be used to aquire a player by itself. If its a 3 million TE then we can only use it to trade for a 3 million dollar contract. We can't package it with the MLE for a player and we can't package it with another player contract.

Well maybe we can use it to simulate what teams with capspace do. Utah gave up Eric Maynor to OKC for a 2nd rounder to save lux tax money, perhaps we can pickup some equally cheap player... :white flag:

Well maybe we can use it to simulate what teams with capspace do. Utah gave up Eric Maynor to OKC for a 2nd rounder to save lux tax money, perhaps we can pickup some equally cheap player... :white flag:

That's only during luxury tax time, a lot of teams that do not want to pay it have set themselves up for not getting it in 2010-11. The potential lockout made it hard to make cheap trades since teams have cleared space.

Edited by nbasuperstar40