• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

who do you hope buys the team?

chuck15

when does winning mean everything? if it wasn't the injuries we probably could've made the playoffs. still the season didn't disappoint me. and the hawks, we made the playoffs, got into second round then what? it was like we were just happy to be there. and this off season, we overpaid our "best" player. giving up a former lottery pick for the future second round pick. selling a draft pick. this is probably one of the worst summer as a hawks fan and i always consider myself a basketball/nba/hawks fan first.

it's very sad that if you can't tell the difference between blank and the whole asg group. and the difference between the hawks season and the falcons season.

• Moderators

I think there is both reality and perception separating the public's view on Blank verus the public's view on the ASG. Don't discount the extent to which the "single owner" versus "dysfunctional committee" issue comes into play.

To me, in comparing the ownership you have the following issues to overcome for the Hawks:

* The Belkin debacle

* Perception that the owners are financially strapped

* The hiring of Woodson on the cheap and keeping on the cheap followed by hiring Drew on the cheap

* The Sarver move of selling a desirable draft pick

* The way the ASG has run the Thrashers

* The financial drain of running both the Thrashers and Hawks when the perception is that they are not well heeled

* The dissatisfaction of the fans with Billy Knight and the ASG continued endorsement of BK even on the day he resigned

* The owners not letting BK fire Woodson and not letting Sund hire the coach of his choice

* The perception that the group style of ownership among the ASG leads to a lack of organization and clarity on ownership decisions

etc.

Like I said . . . I'll leave it alone.

But if any of you Falcon fans think that they're closer to a title than the Hawks . . . with the Super Bowl Champion Saints in the same division . . along with Dalas, Green Bay, and Minnesota ( if Favre comes back ) in the NFC, then I don't know who are really the delusional ones.

And hotlanta . . That's the point. The falcons are no better off than the Hawks. But if the Falcons liose a wild card game, everything is OK . . because Blank is likable.

On the flip side, if the Hawks don't at least make the EC Finals next year, the ASG, JJ and anybody else will be burned at the stake, and there will be serious talk about breaking up the team and starting over.

It's just 2 different mindsets for each franchise. And to be honest, it's always been like that.

• Like 1

No High5. I'm truly the dumb one, thinking that the fans could be a little less apathetic toward the Hawks, considering where they were as a franchise 6 years ago and where we are now.

If the Falcons win a wild card game, all is well. The Hawks, on the other hand, need to get to the NBA Finals to get the same amount of admiration that the Falcons get.

Technically, this Hawks team still hasn't regressed yet.

But like I said . . . I'm the idiot for even suggesting that Hawk fans could be a little less "micro-critical" of this team and the ownership, even before the season starts.

They just need to get Shaq here, to see if that can help the perception a little.

• Like 1

• Moderators

Ending the Belkin saga would help. A lot. That would help stop the intermittent rumor that the team will be sold by current ownership which is an unsettling rumor for any fan.

Arthur Blank has made several smart PR moves that have paid off in the product on the field.

1. Lowering ticket prices - This meant a full Dome and no black outs. No announcers saying that Atlanta is a bad sports town. Every game on TV is an advertisement for the team. And not just for the fans, for free agents as well. The smoke and mirrors before the game works for players as well as fans.

2. He's designated certain people as the mouth pieces for the franchise: DiMitroff, Smith, Ryan, Lofton, and others as assigned are the faces of the franchise. It assures everything is on message. This is a reflection of the stability of the franchise. In listening or reading about the Falcons its obvious that they all believe in each other. Unlike the Hawks who are known for their infighting from the top down.

3. Because they believe in them so do fans. Fans have embraced the Falcons and are therefore willing to give them the benefit of the doubt when things go wrong. In fact everything that could go wrong last year did and the Falcons only ended up 1 game out of the playoffs. There was confidence in the process.

4. Wins and losses - that's where perception comes in. Because the Falcons seem to try harder even when they fail they are embraced more.

5. It can't be ignored that there are only 8 home games for the Falcons vs 41 for the Hawks. This leads to a more EVENT feel for each game. It makes them must watch/attend.

• Premium Member

It's absolutely, positively incredible that people are still calling ASG cheap after they just inked one of the 5 biggest contracts in NBA history to keep a player who has never made the All-NBA First or Second Team and who has only made the Third Team once.

Oh, and you could have the players and cheerleaders switch places and still turn a profit as an NFL team thanks to their TV contracts, hard-and-low salary cap, and short season (which saves on operating costs). Also, municipalities chip in far more often to support football teams (by, say, approving bond measures for a stadium) than they do for NBA teams. Owning an NFL team is the closest thing to guaranteed profit that there is in the entire sporting universe. Owning an NBA team is one of the surest paths to a tax writeoff.

Oh yeah, and Atlanta is a football town. It was a football town before the Hawks played in St. Louis, much less in Atlanta. No one has ever, ever mistaken Atlanta for a basketball town - and certainly not a pro basketball town.

Edited by niremetal
  • Like 2

I'm not going to try and argue who is the better owner between Blank and the ASG but I'd like to point out one subtle, yet MAJOR factor, in the ability of Blank to go out and sign big money players and if they don't work out he can just cut them since contracts aren't fully guaranteed in the NFL and you aren't heavily restricted as far as team salary goes like you are in the NBA. The ASG just spent 127 million to keep a non-superstar player to try and at least maintain our level of success and that's within the confines of the NBA salary cap. Don't you think that if they had carte blanche to cut bad contracts and to sign big money guys that they would have absolutely spent big money on a true superstar like some of this years FA's?? Hate the ASG all you want and call them cheap all you'd like but to compare their actions with regard to signing players to the ability of an NFL owner is ridiculous.

• Like 2

But if any of you Falcon fans think that they're closer to a title than the Hawks . . . with the Super Bowl Champion Saints in the same division . . along with Dalas, Green Bay, and Minnesota ( if Favre comes back ) in the NFC, then I don't know who are really the delusional ones.

And hotlanta . . That's the point. The falcons are no better off than the Hawks. But if the Falcons liose a wild card game, everything is OK . . because Blank is likable.

On the flip side, if the Hawks don't at least make the EC Finals next year, the ASG, JJ and anybody else will be burned at the stake, and there will be serious talk about breaking up the team and starting over.

It's just 2 different mindsets for each franchise. And to be honest, it's always been like that.

The Atlanta Falcons are closer to holding the Lombardi Trophy than the Hawks winning the Finals. Injuries plagued the Falcons last year. (not an excuse). Those injuries are MAJOR injuries to impact players.

Major Injuries:

- Harry Douglas out for season in training camp. Mike Murlarkey had a creative package for him to spark the offense.

- First round draft pick out for season in second week of the season. Peria Jerry provided much needed pressure from the middle. After he got hurt, Dline getting pressure decrease dramatically.

- Second round pick was battling injuries all season long until he was put on injured reserve.

- Starting cornerback: Brian Williams out for season in week 6. Williams injured left the Falcons with a poor cornerback rotation.

- Michael Turner battle a high ankle sprain after the Giants game. Ultimately leading to him not playing much after that. I beleive 6 games. He had 800+ yard before getting hurt. Carry most of the offense.

- Matt Ryan sat out 3 games. Team went 1-2 during the period.

With much healthier team, the Falcons potential are enormous. The addition of Sean Weatherspoon and Dunta Robinson the overall defense and pass defense will be much better than last year.

Another reason the Falcons are much closer than the Falcons is their team chemistry and will to fight. With the playoff hope gone in week 14. The Falcons didn't really have anything to fight for. They fought their way to 3 victories and earning first back to back winning season.

Let's talk about the team you mention:

Saints:

Dangerous team with deadly passing offense.The Falcons fair well against the Saints last year. They played without their best cornerback in both games. In the second game against the Saints, they also played without Matt Ryan and Michael Turner (also a dealy Jerious Norwood). They relied on backup Redman and 3rd string RB Jason Snelling....26-23 lost.

With addition of Dunta Robinson and the return of Brian Williams, the Falcons pass defense will be better suited to fight the Saints. Also, the Saints defense are good, but questionable at the same time. They gave up tons of points last year. Let's see how their defense do this year.

Dallas:

The overhyped team the past few years. How did they do? Choke in the playoff and did not even make it last year. Their team however is more improved this year. Offense will be deadly with Romo having major weapons around him. However, Romo usually choke in major situations.

Green Bay and Minnesota (if Farve come back) are the two I fear the most. I think we have a solid team this year to pull it off.

Also, have you look at this year schedule. On paper right now (with the schedule), the Falcons have the potential to get a bye during wild card. If healthy, Falcons are a deadly football team.

• Premium Member

I hope that Ted Turner or James Kennedy buys a big portion of the team from ASG.

I would like to see an infusion of cash. I think our owners are capable, but since the Belkin debacle, they have been very hamstrung. Gearon Sr. has to convince Turner to get on board. I just think Kennedy would be funny in the league.

Soth . . and how has that translated to the success of the Falcons?

Because at the end of the day, that's what it's all about. Shoot . . . the Knicks owner spends "gobs of money". But until it translates into more regular season wins and playoff appearances, his spending is all for naught.

I'm not defending the ASG by any stretch of the imagination. I'm just wondering where all of the love for Blank is coming from, seeing that the Falcons, by most NFL standards, is a mediocre football team.

Fact is . . over the last 5 years, the Hawks have been a much more successful franchise in ATL, than the Falcons.

I disagree. Blank gave Vick the money, but Vick was a winning QB in his non-injury seasons and then the sky falls. He showed a willingness to spend the money, FROM THE START. He went and got the GM and coach HE WANTED, not a clearance GM and scapegoat of a coach (no knock on Sund and LD) because we know both their hands are tied by the ASG. Blank doesn't do that. He paid McKay and let him run the team as a GM. He saw McKay wasn't getting it done, he replaced him, but to show loyalty, he kept McKay around as team President. He actively pursued players that he thought would help this team (players the coaches wanted, ie Hartwell, Price, Tony G, Turner, D. Robinson). Some didn't pan out but he didn't cripple the GM, he let him go after them and pay a good penny for them. Can't say the same thing with ASG.

As it has been mentioned, the marketing and promotion of the team is BY FAR greater. And now, the product is BY FAR greater. As far as a mediocre team, we can't blame Blank for Vick's mishaps and shenanigans, for Quitrino's departure. He continued to try to field a winning product. And now that he spent the money for the best that he could buy, Abe, Turner, Tony G, D. Robinson, a winning product is now on the field. And mediocrity? PSSHHH!! As OchoCinco would say...Chile Please!! Other teams message boards are talking of the Falcons championship capabilities and possibilities, media heads and analysts, coaches, and other players are speaking of the Falcons and their possible run and the pieces they have in place. Do more research boss man. Just sayn. Sorry for the long rant, but ASG and Blank are in different dimensions.

I'm not going to try and argue who is the better owner between Blank and the ASG but I'd like to point out one subtle, yet MAJOR factor, in the ability of Blank to go out and sign big money players and if they don't work out he can just cut them since contracts aren't fully guaranteed in the NFL and you aren't heavily restricted as far as team salary goes like you are in the NBA. The ASG just spent 127 million to keep a non-superstar player to try and at least maintain our level of success and that's within the confines of the NBA salary cap. Don't you think that if they had carte blanche to cut bad contracts and to sign big money guys that they would have absolutely spent big money on a true superstar like some of this years FA's?? Hate the ASG all you want and call them cheap all you'd like but to compare their actions with regard to signing players to the ability of an NFL owner is ridiculous.

The question was about Blank's praise and credibility as an NFL owner. What's has Blank done to warrant the praise?

• Premium Member

And Wretch proves the exact type of apathy I'm taking about.

Despite 3 consecutive playoff appearances, 90 home wins in the past 3 years, and our first 50+ win season in 12+ years, he STILL has only negative things to say about this team . . . despite us being in position to duplicate at the very least what we did this season.

The entire core from last year is coming back ( minus ) the coach that 90% of the fans hated . . and the apathy is STILL THERE.

Why?

Because we sold a dang 2nd round pick?

Because we traded Chill for peanuts, even though he obiously didn't want to play here?

Because "insert favorite scrub player here" is no longer with the team anymore?

Because we overpaid to retain our 4-time All-star?

The scrutiny this team takes, not only from the media, but also from the fans, is amazing to me. The Hawks could win 55 games, but lose to the 65 win "SuperFriends" team in Miami, and fans would STILL be pizzed at the Hawks like they were a below .500 team.

Homeslice...this team has not gotten out of the 2nd round of the playoffs in 40 years and just came off THE WORST FOUR GAME SWEEP in the HISTORY of the NBA. Why? Because of the common thread that has been woven each and every Hawks era since I've been a fan - incompetent, apathetic, financially unstable management content with being "just good enough."

I'm not some Johnny-come-lately, fairweather, LeBron Jersey wearing casual Atlanta fan. I've followed this team with a passion for 25 years in a town that changes bandwagons like they change underwear. I have been laughed out of bars, office conversations, and out of the gym for even MENTIONING the Atlanta Hawks during this time. And don't get me started on discussions while I was in the military - where fair-weather and die hard, knowledgeable, basketball fans from around the country held the consensus of how bland, boring, and faceless our teams were in the 90's... And I still followed my team with pride.

Nothing has changed. The owners of this club don't get it and with the same "nickle and dime" approach, they never will.

I would MUCH rather have a sub-500 team with a front office with the finances, balls, drive, and VISION to make things happen than a top 10 team with a front office that is just content to be competitive. Any day of the week.

See Dallas, LA, NY, Boston, Chicago...hell, look at the fire started in Cleveland for crying out loud. Let alone Miami, once again buzzing with championship dreams, that has a good chance of winning TWO of them in the time it has taken us to just get back to relevancy.

40 years and counting.

I got nothing else to add to this discussion.

• Like 1

Im not a Falcon fan nor do I live in ATL so all I can give is an outsiders perception of Blank. He seems like he has revitalized ATL'S interest in the Falcons much in the same manner that the Hawks are once again relevent . Both squads were doormats for awile until the new ownership took over. I think nationally Blank gets a lot of respect for the way he handled the Vick debacle as where ASG has only had disaster media wise when things went amuck with Belkin. However in a league where its much easier to win a championship ( planned parity ) Blank like ASG in the much tougher nba without getting that lucky star player ( only 8 different teams have won the title since 1980 ) has failed.

Northcyde I agree with you 100% on this.

I'm a results oriented guy, and I can care less about the how an ownership group is constructed and how much money they have. The hawks have been on a steady incline since the 13 win season and catch nothing but hell from this fanbase. It's sad.

Blanks a good owner and I like him, but he really gets a pass in this city.

He fired a hall of famer in Dan Reeves because he wasn't his guy and hired a petulant child named Jim Mora because he could put together a good power point presentation. He fired Dan Reeves because he wasn't a yes man. The mis managment of the team under Mora can only be rivaled by Mike Woodson. You had a coach that wanted to be his players buddy and an owner that was an enabler. He installs an offensive system that doesn't fit his best player and hires Greg Knapp as an OC. He was supposed to be a defensive guru and our defense was awful under him. Even today Mora continues to make an a%@ of himself on a regular basis. Things got out of hand with Vick and a bunch of other Falcons under this regime, and lets not even talk about Hog Souiee Petrino. You think Vick was dog fighting and having all his hanger ons around when Dan Reeves was coach?

We wasted the good Vick years with terrible coaching and no players around him. I don't think they drafted an offensive linemen in the 1st two rounds Vick's entire career.

I'm not a Vick apologist he's an idiot, but the best thing Blank has ever done was stop meddling in football business and allow his football people to make football decisions. Stop hanging out with the players and allowing them to run to you when they disagree with the coach.

I'm happy with the Smith hire. The team always looks well coached and disciplined on the field now. I'm not yet sold on Thomas Dimitroff; he seems to have a solid draft strategy, but he strikes me as a guy that thinks he's smarter than the room. He is however clearly better than Rich McKay and Dan Reeves at drafting.(not saying much).

IMO Blank has been just as much of a mixed bag as the ASG. They both have issues they are just different kinds of issues. Blank is the ultimate PR man just like at Home Depot, so most will slober all over him.

Edited by ATLien_

• Premium Member

You must not follow the NFL. In the NFL if you make the playoffs you have a legitimate shot in winning the title. In the NBA you will never get past the glass ceiling unless you have a superstar or two. The Hawks will never make it past the second round with their current roster unless a major trade happens. The Falcons OTOH are in a sport where if they make the playoffs they automatically have a real shot at winning.