• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Wait.... How does Miami's bench look better than ours?

GameTime

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/5596054/miami_heat_could_round_out_12man_roster.html?cat=14

The Miami Heat are expected to pursue James Jones, Keyon Dooling, and Chris Quinn before the season begins.

Miami Heat

BN Mike Miller

BN Udonis Haslem

BN Juwan Howard

BN Zydrunas Ilgauskas / Joel Anthony

BN Carlos Arroyo

BN Jamaal Magloire

BN Dexter Pittman

Atlanta Hawks

BN Jamal Crawford

BN Mike Bibby/Jeff Teague

BN Zaza Pachulia

BN Maurice Evans

BN Jordan Crawford

:cant believe:

Edited by GameTime

That along with the lack of shooting from the big three will be there downfall. That bench is horrible. Even if they sign Matt Barnes their bench will still suck. I was thinking about how this big three isn't like Bostons. Let me explain:

Ray Allen-excellent shooter-perimeter, mid range one of the best jumpshooters in the history of the league

Pierce-excellent shooter-perimeter, mid range, low post

Garnett-excellent midrange, low post

Wade-can't shoot, slasher

Lebron-Can't shoot-slasher

Bosh-mid range, decent to average post player

These guys will get in each other's way because no one has a jumper that scares anyone. Boston can spread the floor and get out of each other's way.Blowing out teams from 3rd world countries is a lot easier than doing it in the NBA.

• Like 3

Problem is they have 2 superstars and 1 allstar. One of these guys will be on the floor at all times. We have 1 legit allstar and 2 borderlines. Barring injury they will always have a better player on the floor. At worst, they will have Bosh (JJ's equal) on the floor at the same time as JJ. Bottom line is they are loaded and scarry and their bench doesn't matter.

Edited by Dsinner

I just did this on the AJC blog, so I'll just copy and paste part of what I did there on here.

From Hoopsstats.com

TEAM RANKINGS FOR THE HAWKS: 2009 - 10

OVERALL: #11

BACKCOURT: #4

FRONTCOURT: #13

STARTERS: #6

BENCH: #17

IN THE PAINT: #5

OUT THE PAINT: #13

PG OVERALL: #20

SG OVERALL: #3

SF OVERALL: #27

PF OVERALL: #8

C OVERALL: #5

INDIVIDUAL RANKINGS BY POSITION

PG: Bibby – #39 . . Teague – #73

G: Johnson – #5 . . Jam Crawford – #17 . . Mario – #85 . . Jor Crawford ( R ) - ???

SF: Marvin – #22 . . Mo Evans – # 50

-

PF: Smoove – #7 . . Joe Smith – #73

C: Horford – #6 . . Zaza – #61 . . Collins – #101

When you look at our team, it’s obvious what the problem is . . . . lack of QUALITY depth. So ANY quality we can add to this team, will be a plus. I agree with the others when they say if a guy like Jordan Crawford proves in camp that he’s a better player than Mo Evans, the rookie HAS to play.

The Hawks bench lost so many leads last year, it wasn’t even funny. That bench was NOT good last year. And that #17 ranking they ended up with, was between 20 – 25 for most of the year, until the bench did start playing a little better starting in March. But even then, most of that was because of Crawford.

It is very important that the players I struck through, are upgraded with players who can at least be in the top 60 ( preferably top 50 ) at their respective position. Can Teague and Jordan Crawford play well enough, to move into the top 60 at their respective position? Will Bibby and Evans fall out of the top 60 next year? Are the people we're bringing in to fill out the roster, going to be in the top 60 at their respective position?

A partial look at the HEAT WORLD ORDER and where their current players ranked last year at their respective position.

PG: Chalmers – #53 . . Hasbrouck ( R ) – ??

SG: Wade – #1 . . Miller #11 ( he shot 48% from 3 last year )

SF: James – #1 . . Q. Richardson – #28 . . J. Jones – #64

PF: Bosh – #1 . . Haslem – #30

C: Big Z – #44 . . Ju Howard - #49 . . J. Anthony - #65 . . Pittman ( R ) -???

That could be your top 13 right there for the Heat . . with them still possibly adding rookies Jarvis Varnado and the injured De’Sean Butler. That team has 9 players rank in the top 60 in the league at their respective position . . compared to us with 7. And they have 2 legit superstars and one very good star. And their superstar players can play multiple positions, keeping at least one of them on the floor at all times.

If they have any weakness, it’s in the middle. I hope Shaq has too much of an ego to join them. Because if he joins that group, it’s a wrap. But with that list of big men already on the roster, I doubt he's in their sights. If they make a move, it may be for another PG or a perimeter defensive stopper.

Edited by northcyde

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/5596054/miami_heat_could_round_out_12man_roster.html?cat=14

Miami Heat

BN Mike Miller

BN Udonis Haslem

BN Juwan Howard

BN Zydrunas Ilgauskas / Joel Anthony

BN Carlos Arroyo

BN Jamaal Magloire

BN Dexter Pittman

Atlanta Hawks

BN Jamal Crawford

BN Mike Bibby/Jeff Teague

BN Zaza Pachulia

BN Maurice Evans

BN Jordan Crawford

:cant believe:

Outside of Ja. Crawford, Miami does have the better bench.

You have all the Hawks PG's on the bench. Who is the starter?

We must remember that Teague and Jo. Crawford are both pretty much rookies. Mo Evans was HORRIBLE last year as was Pachula. Mike Bibby outside of like the first two months or so was completely ineffective. That will not change this year.

Haslem and Big Z are better than the Hawks big men off the bench. Miami clearly lacks at the PG spot.... But this team only had one productive bench player last year and it's the same basic bench. If the Hawks bench is better, it sure isn't by much.

Of the people who are left, here's where they rank according to their respective position . . according to Hoopsstats. Their rankings ( both team and individual ), are based off of overall efficiency ). I'll list the players from SG to C of some of the names that people have thrown around. This definitely doesn't mean that we can afford some of these people though. I guess the way to look at this is like this:

1 - 10: Star player at their position

11 - 20: Solid Starter

21 - 30: Role playing starter

31 - 40: Solid bench player

41 - 50: Role playing bench player

51 - 60: Fringe bench player

Over 61: Benchwarmer

SHOOTING GUARD

- Iverson: #24

- McGrady: #31

SMALL FORWARD

- Richard Jefferson: #20

- Matt Barnes: #24

- Damien Wilkins: #45

- Jarvis Hayes: #47

POWER FORWARD

- Anthony Tolliver: #21

- Craig Smith: #47

- Kurt Thomas: #69

CENTER

- Shaquille O'Neal: #25

- Josh Boone: #52

- Kwame Brown: #73

- DJ Mbenga: #83

Shaq shines v. post players without a jumper, note DeAndre Jordan and Dwight but sucks v. everyone else who has a jumper.

http://www.hoopsstats.com/basketball/fantasy/nba/cleveland-cavaliers/players/shaquille-oneal/profile/10/5/64

Edited by nbasuperstar40

• Premium Member

People trying to act like the Heat won't be an absolute powerhouse next year are really just trying to convince themselves. Worst case scenario for them they finish in the top three. Best case scenario they are one of the most dominant teams of all time. The talent on that roster is ridiculous. This was the most talented free agency pool in NBA history and the Heat pretty much signed ALL the big names except Boozer and JJ. It sucks for everybody who isn't a Miami fan, no question about it.

• Like 2

• Premium Member

That along with the lack of shooting from the big three will be there downfall. That bench is horrible. Even if they sign Matt Barnes their bench will still suck. I was thinking about how this big three isn't like Bostons. Let me explain:

Ray Allen-excellent shooter-perimeter, mid range one of the best jumpshooters in the history of the league

Pierce-excellent shooter-perimeter, mid range, low post

Garnett-excellent midrange, low post

Wade-can't shoot, slasher

Lebron-Can't shoot-slasher

Bosh-mid range, decent to average post player

These guys will get in each other's way because no one has a jumper that scares anyone. Boston can spread the floor and get out of each other's way.Blowing out teams from 3rd world countries is a lot easier than doing it in the NBA.

Why on earth is this worthy of 4 downratings?

People trying to act like the Heat won't be an absolute powerhouse next year are really just trying to convince themselves. Worst case scenario for them they finish in the top three. Best case scenario they are one of the most dominant teams of all time. The talent on that roster is ridiculous. This was the most talented free agency pool in NBA history and the Heat pretty much signed ALL the big names except Boozer and JJ. It sucks for everybody who isn't a Miami fan, no question about it.

There's still chemistry to worry about. More importantly, there's injuries. Is LeBron + Bosh enough if Wade goes down again?

Why on earth is this worthy of 4 downratings?

Because he's totally overlooking all of the other positive aspects of their games, compared to the Boston guys. He's hyping the Boston guys up, like they're better than Wade, Lebron, and Bosh. Like I posted earlier in this thread, Wade, Lebron, and Bosh were ranked NUMBER 1 at the SG, SF, and PF positions by hoopsstats.com

NUMBER 1

They're arguably 3 of the top 10 players in the league. And one of these three are going to be on the floor at all times, unless the game is a blowout.

Miami will lose some games. They won't be invincible. But some people are talking like they're not going to win 50 games . . or hoping for injuries to derail the team. LOL . . that may be the ONLY thing to stop Miami . . . Injuries . . and Kobe Bryant.

Just keep it real on this topic. If the Hawks assembled a team like that, we'd all be talking about NBA Finals around here.

Edited by northcyde
  • Like 1

Orlando and Boston have been together for awhile and I don't see much of a letdown especially with Miami seemingly boasting about how great they will be. That puts the Hawks at 4th spot in the playoffs and yet so far we haven't strengthened our club while the other teams have. We'll just have to cross our fingers Sund as more up his sleeve than Jason Collins. :help wanted3:

Because he's totally overlooking all of the other positive aspects of their games, compared to the Boston guys. He's hyping the Boston guys up, like they're better than Wade, Lebron, and Bosh. Like I posted earlier in this thread, Wade, Lebron, and Bosh were ranked NUMBER 1 at the SG, SF, and PF positions by hoopsstats.com

NUMBER 1

They're arguably 3 of the top 10 players in the league. And one of these three are going to be on the floor at all times, unless the game is a blowout.

Miami will lose some games. They won't be invincible. But some people are talking like they're not going to win 50 games . . or hoping for injuries to derail the team. LOL . . that may be the ONLY thing to stop Miami . . . Injuries . . and Kobe Bryant.

Just keep it real on this topic. If the Hawks assembled a team like that, we'd all be talking about NBA Finals around here.

I agree. I actually think Miami will cost a bit during the season and then bring their A game during the playoffs. Lebron and Wade are definitely competitors and will push each other and the rest of the team to perform.

Mike Miller is a perfect complimentary player for that team because he can pass the ball, has some ballhandling ability and is a deadly shooter. James Jones is an excellent shooter too if he is on board. None of their bigs outside of Bosh is great, but Haslem is a nice bench player on any team (assuming Big Z starts). Joel Anthony as the second big man off the bench is not horrible either. Ideally they would pick up a back-up point guard who can shoot.

Wade with comparable supporting cast (when not counting James and Bosh) led Miami to 6th place in the East. Now he has league's MVP and one of best offensive PFs to help him. Only injury (well, maybe Orlando's Carter for Arenas trade) can prevent them from taking 1st seed in the East and getting to the finals.

There's still chemistry to worry about. More importantly, there's injuries. Is LeBron + Bosh enough if Wade goes down again?

Umm, yeah. Do you even realize you just typed LeBron +Bosh?? That's still (on paper) a MUCH better team than we have. LeBron + Nobody just lead the NBA in wins. Again.

Umm, yeah. Do you even realize you just typed LeBron +Bosh?? That's still (on paper) a MUCH better team than we have. LeBron + Nobody just lead the NBA in wins. Again.

Agreed. Even assuming Wade goes down for an extended period a starting five of Chalmers, Miller, James, Bosh and Big Z is still better than LeBron had in Cleveland.