• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Jamal Crawford... Longterm Hawk?

Diesel

• Premium Member

Crawford likes it in Atlanta and hopefully will be here for a while. This is his statement from his T&A with Seattle fans. I must say that I like having the difference. BUT.. with the max contract giving to Joe, and Horf coming up on the boards at the same time as Craw... what will we do with Craw? His trade value is high. He was sixth man of the year and all and he carried us through the Milwaukee series. Will Craw be here longer? Will we trade him away? Will we trade other players to create capspace to Keep Craw?

He is gone after the season. Though I don't think he'll be traded. The real value of expiring contracts is really about how bad the contracts are that you are willing to take in return and the whole point of letting Crawford go is to create room under the tax line for Horford. The Hawks will try and replace his production with Jordan Crawford and Jeff Teague.

Edited by spotatl
  • Like 2

• Premium Member

He is gone after the season. Though I don't think he'll be traded. The real value of expiring contracts is really about how bad the contracts are that you are willing to take in return and the whole point of letting Crawford go is to create room under the tax line for Horford. The Hawks will try and replace his production with Jordan Crawford and Jeff Teague.

It's a shame that Crawford, who is all about production, has to go yet, we're holding on to Marvin and Bibby? Crawford for us was the difference this past year and Marvin just went to the bank and cashed in for doing nothing. This is just another reason why Marvin should be traded. Even if we trade him to Cleveland for a future first... just go get under the cap.

Edited by Diesel
  • Like 2

Would hate to see him go. He's just about my favorite player now.

Agreed. I love watching him play. I'm not sure I've ever seen someone with such a deadly crossover. Watching him live is even better, especially when the whole arena gasps after he pulls some ridiculous move and blows past his defender.

He comes across as an upstanding guy off the court as well.

I hope that we can hang onto him for at least a couple more years.

• Premium Member

Sadly I think you are right. The ASG are too cheap to keep him and try to resign Horford. If we had real ownership they would use his expiring deal plus another player to upgrade for a superstar but we know that's not going to happen.

I do think that if they had the opportunity to add a superstar that the ASG would pay the luxury tax to do so. But The problem is that to acquire a superstar you likely would have to take on both the superstar salary and another horribly bad contract and thats the part I don't think the ASG would do.

• Premium Member

It's sad that I knew just from reading the title of this topic that not long into it the real purpose of the topic would come out.

Hey, give the man credit. He waited 10 whole minutes before bringing up a Marvin trade.

Edited by niremetal

Hey, give the man credit. He waited 10 whole minutes before bringing up a Marvin trade.

He wants to trade Marvin to make us better and that is all good. Problem is I agree with this in that Crawford is more valuable to our owners as cap releif:

Now if Diesel accounts for ths ASGs cheapness, Marvin could be traded for expirings and then Crawford may very well be kept. But any move that gives us a contract that does not look affordable will not be made IMO.

Signing Big Al next season is concern #1; and tied together like inseparable Siamese twins is concern #2, which is staying under the luxury tax. You have to figure those two things into any trade senario to even have a chance with the ASG.

Edited by Buzzard

• Premium Member

Crawford likes it in Atlanta and hopefully will be here for a while. This is his statement from his T&A with Seattle fans. I must say that I like having the difference. BUT.. with the max contract giving to Joe, and Horf coming up on the boards at the same time as Craw... what will we do with Craw? His trade value is high. He was sixth man of the year and all and he carried us through the Milwaukee series. Will Craw be here longer? Will we trade him away? Will we trade other players to create capspace to Keep Craw?

Crawford is pretty one dimensional and is definitely not worth 10 mill per season. Would consider resigning him for half his current salary though.

• Like 1

Crawford is pretty one dimensional and is definitely not worth 10 mill per season. Would consider resigning him for half his current salary though.

I agree with this. And it will be interesting to see if the ASG is willing to hold on to him past the trade deadline.

I agree that Jamal is not worth 10 million per season but he is absolutely without a doubt worth more than 5 million, especially considering that the MLE is nearly 6 million and I'm certain at least half of the teams in the league would offer him that in a heartbeat. I'd say his worth is probably around 7-8 million and that's what it will take over a 3-4 year contract to keep him after this season. I'd rather use his contract along with Bibby or Marvin to upgrade the SF position but I wouldn't be opposed to bringing Jamal back next year.

Another possibility is Crawford stays and the Hawks decide between keeping Horford or Joe. I'm sure they'll base their decision on what they can get out of trading either of these players. It wouldn't surprise me if they have been working on this for months and already have some trade options on the table (which could have factored into their decision to sign Joe for the max.)

For example, we keep Horford and trade Joe. Because Joe is so expensive, we don't get back the equivalence in talent, but get we back talent we need in the right positions (center, sf, etc).

Another possibility is Crawford stays and the Hawks decide between keeping Horford or Joe. I'm sure they'll base their decision on what they can get out of trading either of these players. It wouldn't surprise me if they have been working on this for months and already have some trade options on the table (which could have factored into their decision to sign Joe for the max.)

For example, we keep Horford and trade Joe. Because Joe is so expensive, we don't get back the equivalence in talent, but get we back talent we need in the right positions (center, sf, etc).

We can re-sign Crawford to a deal that is 2-3 million less than he is making now and combined with cutting out Evans salary that is a savings of about 5 million dollars. I doubt that Horford will get the max but he'll probably get around 10-12 million (based on what we saw with Smith plus a little more for being a center and not being a headcase) and when you add that 5 million to what Horford makes now that would allow him to have a contract that pays him about 10.5 million so as long as the luxury tax limit doesn't decrease next year we should be okay and still be able to keep the core of this team together.

We can re-sign Crawford to a deal that is 2-3 million less than he is making now and combined with cutting out Evans salary that is a savings of about 5 million dollars. I doubt that Horford will get the max but he'll probably get around 10-12 million (based on what we saw with Smith plus a little more for being a center and not being a headcase) and when you add that 5 million to what Horford makes now that would allow him to have a contract that pays him about 10.5 million so as long as the luxury tax limit doesn't decrease next year we should be okay and still be able to keep the core of this team together.

I think Horf will get more than Smith. Could be substantially more depending on his improvement this season. If he moves up to 17 ppg playing out of position once again, its going to take a lot to keep him. I have no doubts we will keep him, just as we did JJ and Smoove, but don't look for any spending sprees by the ASG between now and then.

Edited by Buzzard

I would be surprised if someone did not offer Horford the max. Rudy Gay got the max - and I think a few teams were willing to pay it.

Did Bogut get the max? If so, then I think that is a decent comp.

• Moderators

I think you are right about this which is why it makes sense to have drafted Jordan Crawford.

If we don't make any major moves this summer, I think we will know his fate during the season. If Marvin does not step up, he will be traded and Jamal will have a shot of staying. I think Bibby and Mo are gone also!

no reason we have to get rid of craw...he's not gonna get same he's making now

horf's contract will only be around 5mil more than it is now, so even if craw made the same as he does now, if we dump mo, we're already almost ok if lux tax goes up

then add in that we could trade bibby's expiring next season by the deadline to be far under the lux tax and it doesn't make sense to dump craw just to avoid the lux tax

i'd like to see craw be part of our 'core' for the next 5 years