• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Our Backup PF is ?

lethalweapon3

• Moderators

Are Smoove and Al supposed to log 99% of the 48 minutes at the 4? Zaza can humor us for a few minutes there, but we need him at C primarily. Marvin -- same story at SF. I don't think JaCo can help at all at that position. Assuming we're not just hoping our starters won't get injured, what are we looking to bring in whose first name doesn't begin with Randolph and end with Morris?

~lw3

• Premium Member

Are Smoove and Al supposed to log 99% of the 48 minutes at the 4? Zaza can humor us for a few minutes there, but we need him at C primarily. Marvin -- same story at SF. I don't think JaCo can help at all at that position. Assuming we're not just hoping our starters won't get injured, what are we looking to bring in whose first name doesn't begin with Randolph and end with Morris?

~lw3

Getting backups at both forward spots is, in my view, our biggest offseason need going forward. I honestly think that Horford and Zaza makes us better than all but a few teams in the league at center. But we have no depth if Josh or Marvin get hurt.

Edited by niremetal

I'd like Damien Wilkens for the minimum.

Is that really an upgrade or just another name on the roster. Of course he gets the hometown discout we are known for giving. Really is Wilkens the best name we can come up with? Its amazing how we still suffer at the same positions after all these years.

Is that really an upgrade or just another name on the roster. Of course he gets the hometown discout we are known for giving. Really is Wilkens the best name we can come up with? Its amazing how we still suffer at the same positions after all these years.

Wilkens wouldn't be a bad signing but we have a MUCH bigger need for a PF backup than we do for a SF backup. Marvin played a decent amount of time at the 4 for us last year but I don't know whether LD plans to utilize him there or not but even if he does he shouldn't be considered higher than 3rd on an ideal PF depth chart since he starts at SF and is not prototypical PF size.

Honestly it wouldn't shock me to find out that we've traded Jamal for a backup PF/C since we have such a high need there and we drafted a guy that looks like he can provide a poor man's Jamal type of offense already. I'd prefer to sign a FA PF but there aren't a ton of options available for 2 million or less and we have to fill 3 roster spots for less than 5 million if we're going to stay under the luxury tax.

If I had to I'd guess that we'll probably bring Joe Smith back to backup the 4 spot, but that does not excite me at all based on how he played last year for us. Ike Diougu, Sean May and Brian Skinner are some other options as well as Kurt Thomas, who would be my first choice.

The Heat have 13 players on their roster who are signed for next season. De'Sean Bulter ( who is hurt ) and Jarvis Varnado haven't been signed yet. They would represent the final 2 roster spots left on the team, if the Heat aren't done adding people.

If Varnado ( 6.5 pts - 5.5 rebs - 1.8 blks - 56% FG in Summer League ) isn't signed by them, that's the guy I want the Hawks to IMMEDIATELY go after. It's going to be a few of those 2nd round guys that people were wanting, that aren't going to get signed. They'll be temporarily available for someone to get. The other guy I like is Omar Samhan, the big Center ( 6-11 . . 265 lbs ) that was SUPPOSED to play with us in summer league, but ended up playing with Dallas. He had a pretty good summer league ( 10.5 ppg - 7.5 rebs - 53% FG ). Fundamentally, he's as sound as any of those centers drafted in the 2nd round.

As for current NBA free agents, I wouldn't mind bringing in a rebounder like Craig Smith. But knowing the Hawks, they'll go with someone that they're familiar with, or someone who performed well against them. So expect either Joe Smith or Kurt Thomas.

I'm praying that we don't bring Collins back here. If we do, that gives us 11 players on the roster, with only 2 spots to fill . . because we're probably rolling with only 13 players again.

Edited by northcyde

The Heat have 13 players on their roster who are signed for next season. De'Sean Bulter ( who is hurt ) and Jarvis Varnado haven't been signed yet. They would represent the final 2 roster spots left on the team, if the Heat aren't done adding people.

If Varnado ( 6.5 pts - 5.5 rebs - 1.8 blks - 56% FG in Summer League ) isn't signed by them, that's the guy I want the Hawks to IMMEDIATELY go after. It's going to be a few of those 2nd round guys that people were wanting, that aren't going to get signed. They'll be temporarily available for someone to get. The other guy I like is Omar Samhan, the big Center ( 6-11 . . 265 lbs ) that was SUPPOSED to play with us in summer league, but ended up playing with Dallas. He had a pretty good summer league ( 10.5 ppg - 7.5 rebs - 53% FG ). Fundamentally, he's as sound as any of those centers drafted in the 2nd round.

As for current NBA free agents, I wouldn't mind bringing in a rebounder like Craig Smith. But knowing the Hawks, they'll go with someone that they're familiar with, or someone who performed well against them. So expect either Joe Smith or Kurt Thomas.

I'm praying that we don't bring Collins back here. If we do, that gives us 11 players on the roster, with only 2 spots to fill . . because we're probably rolling with only 13 players again.

If the heat have 13 players signed that may work out for us, as they are still looking for a PG right? So that means one of these two would be available, and I can cosign on the Varnado move. That would be a great fall back on a tested shot blocking presence. Augustine, Aminu, or any of our SL big men do not bring that to the table.

Samhan I still dont know enough about yet to suggest picking him up over some of the other bigs that have been mention. I mean would you rather have Samhan over Siler? K Thomas? etc....

Smith just re-upped with LA

~lw3

Well, I know last year Joe Smith played PF, but no one seems to like him. Horford and Marvin played PF sometimes to. Za za filled in and Josh and Al averaged 35 min per game.

Edited by clicklandshopping

I still think their is something brewing in the background and the Hawks will have a significant trade at some point this summer. Maybe this is rose colored glassed, but I really do think their will be a trade that changes the roster composition.

However, if they do stand pat; backup PF is a glaring need. When the team's healthy they are probably fine at PF, but any injury to MW, JS, or Horford and the team is in dire shape.

Smith resigned with the Clipps and Collins has resigned with the Hawks.

northcyde, I whole heartedly agree with you here. I'd love to see the Hawks go after Jarvis Varnado. Here is the link to my blog entry on the rumor of Atlanta looking to resign Jason Collins. I have openly criticized the Hawks for not utilizing the 31st pick when they traded down in the draft. In my entry, I used Gani Lawal as an example, who BTW averaged 15 and 7 in summer league play. Jarvis fits the bill though, because he is a player who could have an impact on this team as a rotational guy, IMO. Prior to the draft, I had an entry at Soaring Down South where I made the case for Jarvis Varnado.

• Premium Member

E. Thomas, K. Thomas, and B Skinner are the kind of bruisers I want in here. Unlike Joe Smith, they play physical in the paint.

Skinner has been on my wish list for awhile.

Miami just signed Howard. So that's one less roster spot.

:Nail Biting: COME ON JARVIS!!!!

And another one. I really hope they stick to 13 players cause that means that Varnado can be had!!!

Arroyo Confirms Agreement With Heat

Jul 22, 2010 7:51 AM EST

Carlos Arroyo has told the South Florida Sun-Sentinel that he will fly back from his native Puerto Rico on Thursday to sign a deal with the Heat.

Arroyo started Miami's final 21 regular-season games and all five playoff contests at point guard.

"Looking forward to a championship!!!" Arroyo wrote in an email to the Sun-Sentinel. "Excited!!!!"

He will join Mario Chalmers as Miami's second point and become the team's 13th player under contract.

Read more: http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap/2/#ixzz0uT1Zl7r9

Would anyone take a flyer on butler if he the odd man out?