• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Is Shaq Stuq?

lethalweapon3

• Moderators

Latest buzz as per ESPN's Marc Stein:

http://espn.go.com/blog/TrueHoop/post/_/id/18437/latest-buzz-rj-shaq-t-mac-more

With or without an official deal for Jefferson, Shaquille O’Neal remains by far the biggest available name on the open market … with Tracy McGrady and Allen Iverson next in line on reputation. The Mavericks have abandoned the idea of a Shaq signing completely -- “He is out,” according to one team source -- since they have four centers currently on the roster until they can move the very available Alexis Ajinca. Atlanta, then, stands as the only team with a confirmed “live” interest in O’Neal. But Shaq, at last report, still wants assurances of a healthy slice of playing time as well as a salary that starts above the $5.8 million mid-level exception, which can be achieved through a sign-and-trade with Cleveland. No team out there, including Atlanta, is known to be willing to pay Shaq more than $2 million for next season.

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NBA&id=245

Free agent Shaquille O'Neal was never a consideration for the Heat. The Heat's SuperFriends are wisely not bringing anyone in that could affect chemistry. Shaq would want consistent minutes and touches on a team that doesn't have room for it. The only team still left that is showing interest in O'Neal appears to be the Hawks.

~lw3

• Premium Member

Here's my thought: Shaq already has a rep from several teams of being a cancer in the locker room. Can you imagine his attitude if he has to sign here for at least 3-4 million a year cheaper than what he was expecting? Seriously for everyone calling to sign Shaq just think about that for a moment. Do you think this guy really wants to play for a whole lot less money AND ALSO come off the bench?

• Like 2

Latest buzz as per ESPN's Marc Stein:

http://espn.go.com/blog/TrueHoop/post/_/id/18437/latest-buzz-rj-shaq-t-mac-more

No team out there, including Atlanta, is known to be willing to pay Shaq more than $2 million for next season.

~lw3

That should say it all. Shaq can still be had; but he way overvalues himself. Retirement or just wait till the signing period is near its end may be his and his egos best options.

Shaq is finding himself in a similar situation that Terrell Owens is now in. While both still have talent, teams may not want to deal with the entire package that they bring. Shaq is nowhere near the disruptive figure that T.O. is, but he is just as big of a personality. The media will always go to those two guys to get their thoughts, and neither have ever held their tongues about what they think of a situation.

In the case of Shaq, we'll see how this turns out for him. I personally don't believe he's going to play for 2 million. But if the Hawks want to give themselves a chance, he's worth the risk. Just like T.O. was worth the risk in Dallas. If it doesn't pan out, the team is still talented enough to compensate for his loss.

Atlanta is a different animal though. The fans want to root for somebody, and can't seem to embrace this group of Hawks, despite them improving each season. It's either going to take the Hawks really making a deep run in the playoffs, or them bringing in a big name, to energize the fan base.

It's a medium risk/medium reward type situation to me, regarding Shaq.

• Premium Member

always thought TO has a few screws loose so I never hold him accountable for some the weird things he's done or said. Shaq on the other hand is very smart and calculating. Say Shaq is signed. I can see Shaq calling out Joe or the coaching staff after a poor performance. Or I can even see Shaq calling out ASG for low-balling him.

always thought TO has a few screws loose so I never hold him accountable for some the weird things he's done or said. Shaq on the other hand is very smart and calculating. Say Shaq is signed. I can see Shaq calling out Joe or the coaching staff after a poor performance. Or I can even see Shaq calling out ASG for low-balling him.

So here's the 1 million dollar question. If Shaq called out JJ for a bad performance, would that be a BAD thing? Isn't that the same thing that people are wishing that JJ did to other players on this team, instead of simply holding it in . . or saying something vague in the media about "we didn't play well", instead of "I didn't play well" or "player X needs to play better for us to win"?

Hey, if Shaq puts an extra 975 fans in the seats per game, he pays for himself (at $2M.) That's before the magic incidentals. Bring him in, Sund!

Even if he is a cancer, he's at least entertaining.

• Like 2

• Premium Member

If the Hawks can get him without trading Marvin... I say do it! A 2-3 million dollar Shaq is a no-lose proposition for the Hawks.

• Like 1

If the Hawks can get him without trading Marvin... I say do it! A 2-3 million dollar Shaq is a no-lose proposition for the Hawks.

I don't see why Rick Sund doesn't want to pay Shaq 3 or 4million next year. If the figures i found are correct our roster salary currently is $64,089,558. Even if we gave Shaq 3mill we would be at $67,089,558. Still under the Luxury tax threshold of 70,307,000.

I don't see why Rick Sund doesn't want to pay Shaq 3 or 4million next year. If the figures i found are correct our roster salary currently is $64,089,558. Even if we gave Shaq 3mill we would be at $67,089,558. Still under the Luxury tax threshold of 70,307,000.

Shaq wants reportedly more than the full MLE ( 6 mill or more ) guaranteed for two to three years. That is why the Marvin SNT was so highly thought of by the local Cleveland Plains Dealer. If Shaq would take 3 million, I think it would already be a done deal.

Edited by Buzzard

Because we still have other roster holes to fill as well. Signing Shaq for more money means we will instantly go into the tax trying to reach the roster minimum