• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Give Marvin a Break(for now)

terrellgroup

• Premium Member

You continue with this nonsensical argument that Woody dictated that the SF position stand in the corner and not the particular player. Joe could play Center and the ball would still be in his hands because he is Joe and Woody's offense revolves around him no matter what position he is in on the court. When Joe was in with Jamal you were number one in clamoring about Joe never passing to Jamal, well Diesel, where exactly was Jamal standing when he allegedly wasn't receiving passes from Joe? Bibby is our PG yet can you tell me what area of the court he occupies when Joe Johnson is in the game? It is systematic and there is no way you can argue that the offense was not built around 4 players spacing the floor so that Joe can work his ISO to the point that the number one thing our starting Center worked on last offseason was his 18 footer and our starting PF continues to jack up jumpers despite being the worst shooter in the league. Invent all the reasons to hate the guy you want but it's hard for me to believe that Woody was just letting Marvin freelance all these years without correcting his behavior or benching him unless that's what he wanted out of him all along.

Ok, let's face the facts here. If there is an offensive scheme, then if you are on the court playing a position in that scheme, then you will do as the scheme dictates. You can't make Woody to take the blame for Marvin when we didn't see the same thing from Joe, Mo, or Chillz. Marvin is the only one that doesn't make himself part of the offense. If you were Marvin and even if you were told to do this as SF but you've watched 80 games where Joe played Sf and he didn't something different... wouldn't it ever register with you that you can try something different?

You continue with this nonsensical argument that Woody dictated that the SF position stand in the corner and not the particular player. Joe could play Center and the ball would still be in his hands because he is Joe and Woody's offense revolves around him no matter what position he is in on the court. When Joe was in with Jamal you were number one in clamoring about Joe never passing to Jamal, well Diesel, where exactly was Jamal standing when he allegedly wasn't receiving passes from Joe? Bibby is our PG yet can you tell me what area of the court he occupies when Joe Johnson is in the game? It is systematic and there is no way you can argue that the offense was not built around 4 players spacing the floor so that Joe can work his ISO to the point that the number one thing our starting Center worked on last offseason was his 18 footer and our starting PF continues to jack up jumpers despite being the worst shooter in the league. Invent all the reasons to hate the guy you want but it's hard for me to believe that Woody was just letting Marvin freelance all these years without correcting his behavior or benching him unless that's what he wanted out of him all along.

I 100 percent agree!

• Premium Member

Show me a reliable source who says we've been shopping Marvin ...

Hawks shopping Marvin

The Hawks are shopping forward Marvin Williams, according to a report in the San Francisco Chronicle.

Golden State has contacted Atlanta about Williams and the Warriors could call the Rockets if Trevor Ariza and Shane Battier hit the trading block.

Read more: http://basketball.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/67719/20100701/hawks_are_shopping_marvin_williams/#ixzz0uKKyVEma

My link

The Hawks are said to be shopping Marvin Williams and Mike Bibby.

They've reportedly been contacted by the Warriors regarding Marvin, and it would not be surprising to see either player end up playing elsewhere next year.

• Premium Member

It clearly says that the Warriors have contacted US about Marvin, not the other way around. As was the case with Cleveland and the Shaq rumors. Maybe I have it all wrong but this is the way that I have looked at the rumors thus far.

I didn't want to post this because Diesel has already put the gun to his mouth enough times over the years.

We've been shopping Marvin. No takers yet. So much for the demand.

Golden State contacted us. Cleveland contacted us. We are not buying what they are selling. I know you would like for it to be the other way around, but not one rumor has us contacting them. With all the SF free agents to be had this season, I would say the interest in Marvin is pretty good.

• Premium Member

I didn't want to post this because Diesel has already put the gun to his mouth enough times over the years.

If the Warriors approached us with a BS deal, is that really demand or is that them trying to take advantage of us while we're close to the LT and are the cheapest owners in the world. I mean, if I saw the Suns get Chillz for a 2nd round pick, you best believe that I'm calling too. Hell, they probably said Smoove and Marvin for a protected future first and capspace. I don't call that demand. Moreover, I have read that we have been shopping Marvin since May. It's only since we've gotten into LT hell with Joes contract that people are approaching us. That's not Marvin induced demand, that's teams trying to figure out what we will part with next.

• Premium Member

Thanks P-Bird, Buzzard and CEH for pointing that out as Diesel clearly missed that minor detail.

I love the way you're posing here. Acting as if you knew something all the time, when the truth is you disbelieved that Marvin was being shopped (reputable source?). Eat your crow friend and stop all the posing.

I love the way you're posing here. Acting as if you knew something all the time, when the truth is you disbelieved that Marvin was being shopped (reputable source?). Eat your crow friend and stop all the posing.

Good Lord man ... MARVIN IS NOT BEING SHOPPED!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have believed that ALL ALONG, STILL BELIEVE IT, and WILL CONTINUE TO BELIEVE IT UNTIL PROVEN OTHERWISE!

I know that you are smart enough to know the difference between other teams inquiring about Marvin or wanting to trade for him and the Hawks actively shopping him, right??

We've been shopping Marvin. No takers yet. So much for the demand.

And D if we're to believe that other teams are inquiring about Marvin doesn't that pretty much spit all over your statement yesterday about there not being any demand for Marvin?

I dont mean to feed the fire or anything but I was just doing some random research, comparing our players to our competition one by one, and I got to Marv vs Barnes last season and I dont think it takes a rocket scientist to see by stats alone, Barnes doesnt bring much more to the table than Marv. I say this because he was the guy most on this site were geeked about bringing in.

I think that when it comes down to it, some people here dont care who we bring in to play SF as long as they werent drafted 2nd in 2005 and they arent subjectively overpaid.

To that I say, the draft thing is a dead horse and yeah Marv may be overpaid to some, but look at Joe, look at Josh, look at freaking Zaza. We have trended to overpay our players to keep them and that isnt their fault. We all would take the money if we were in thier shoes. If we want to be upset about any player, and their performance lets blame the right peple. Either the man who drafted said player, offered said player more money than they deserved, or kept said player on the team if they are underperforming. For all we hoot and and holler about Marv, he didnt select himself, he didnt offer himself the contract he has (remember Sund extended the offer to him first), and for crying out loud he's not going to trade himself.

If you want to be mad, be mad at Sund. But as long as Marv or Joe or anyone else is here lets just hope to God that they surprise us by outperforming their contracts, live up to their potential or just plain bring us a championship. The day Marv is gone this exact statment will apply to whoever his replacement is. Until then, lets appreciate what we do have which isnt as bad as many make it seem.

• Premium Member

I dont mean to feed the fire or anything but I was just doing some random research, comparing our players to our competition one by one, and I got to Marv vs Barnes last season and I dont think it takes a rocket scientist to see by stats alone, Barnes doesnt bring much more to the table than Marv. I say this because he was the guy most on this site were geeked about bringing in.

I

Here's the deal.

We could have gotten Barnes who is slightly better than Marvin for cheaper than Marvin. All the time, we hear people talking about how Marvin is cheap...but for us, with his production, he's not so cheap. Barnes is a guy who probably will produce more (now that he's not in a 42 SF rotation) than Marvin... and he will do it for about 2.5 Million less per year than Marvin will make (on the average).

Edited by Diesel

• Premium Member

Here's the deal.

We could have gotten Barnes who is slightly better than Marvin for cheaper than Marvin. All the time, we hear people talking about how Marvin is cheap...but for us, with his production, he's not so cheap. Barnes is a guy who probably will produce more (now that he's not in a 42 SF rotation) than Marvin... and he will do it for about 2.5 Million less per year than Marvin will make (on the average).

Stop wasting your time repeating the same argument over and over! Its been heard and over ruled so move along please! :help wanted3:

Here's the deal.

In what real of this universe is Barnes better than Marvin? When has Barnes EVER produced as well as Marvin? I like Barnes but even his VERY BEST season doesn't top MARVIN'S WORST season. I can't believe you're so excited about a guy who was only able to put up 10.2 PPG while playing 27 MPG in Phoenix's offense and that was Barnes BEST season. Marvin averaged that last year in our offense and everyone complains about his lack of production.

• Moderators

It is put up or shut up time for Marvin in Drew's system. There is no doubt in my mind that the isolation "system" ran by Woody (not sure it deserves the label "system") was a terrible fit for Marvin as far as his personal play. This does not in any way excuse Marvin's flaws but you have to account for the fact that he was put in a position to really succeed by Woodson - because Woodson wasn't a great offensive strategist, because Marvin wasn't good enough to do anything else, or because of both reasons. IMO, Woodson clearly did not help Marvin with the role he assigned to Marvin in our offense. Marvin now gets to work in a more structured offense and show whether it was the lack of structure or his limitations that led to the mediocrity of his career. It is up to him.

How about no, if he continues to dissapear for months at times this season. Are you guys going to blame that on Coach Drew to, like you blamed his play on Woody?? Marvin does not have the heart and desire to be better than what he is now.

no question about it, Marvin has to really improve his game. Or he is out of here!!!