• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Hawks close to signing Josh Powell

5ATL15

My sentiments exactly. I guess that's the Free Agent that Joe was promising to lure. Pathetic.

When did JOE promise to lure any FA? When he re-signed his agent said that Joe would try and recruit players to Atlanta but as far as I know Joe hasn't said anything other than telling Shaq to get his big butt to Atlanta.

Pathetic would have been bringing Joe Smith back! While this isn't a glamorous signing but he has played some minutes for the Lakers and is an upgrade over an aging Joe Smith.

• Like 4

• Admin

When did JOE promise to lure any FA? When he re-signed his agent said that Joe would try and recruit players to Atlanta but as far as I know Joe hasn't said anything other than telling Shaq to get his big butt to Atlanta.

Pathetic would have been bringing Joe Smith back! While this isn't a glamorous signing but he has played some minutes for the Lakers and is an upgrade over an aging Joe Smith.

This is a good signing. It is for the min and he is a solid backup. It won't hurt us at all and gives us some depth

• Like 4

We can't really sit here and complain. What more could they have signed at this point. A low risk signing for a low price. Just a more inexperienced Joe Smith.

• Moderators

A couple OT notes:

(a) very smart move cutting bait with his ex-girlfriend, recently busted for allegedly transporting coke in Norfolk.

(b) despite his upset loss to Werdum a couple weeks ago, Fedor received these lovely parting gifts after the match (jump to 2:00)

(c ) Two degrees of separation: Rumors indicate that J-Pow was the high school-era boyfriend referenced in an MTV "When I Was 17" episode by eventual superstar singer Ciara. Her "Never Ever" video prominently features Al Horford in a cameo role.

~lw3

Edited by lethalweapon3

Serviceable player, not jumping out my socks but the guy can give you some minutes and hold his own. Upgrade over any big outside of ZAZa currently on the bench.

LOL that is not saying much. He is pretty much the only big we have on the bench other than Zaza. I think he fits this team better than Zaza IMO.

Edited by GameTime

• Moderators

2.7PPG 1.8RPG 36% last season.

That's what I say.

It is hard to argue with those numbers. Here is hoping he acheives new heights with the Hawks.

(Whitside potential > Powell potential)

smh @ some of you guys trying to spin this as a good signing.

Be honest. Did ypu see ANY Laker games this year in which Josh Powell impressed you even a little bit?

Solo is a better player than Powell. My boy Wayne Chism who went undrafted at the U of Tennessee, is a better player than Powell.

This is sad.

• Like 1

Statistically he was far worse than Joe Smith last season in almost every category outside of 3point shooting. The only bright side is that last season was a low point for him so hopefully he can return to his production of the years earlier that were.....actually not better than Joe Smith's production last season....

I feel the pain AHF

Im just thankful that Hawksquawk doesnt have a suicide button as depressed as some of you seem to be. Why even continue to follow the Hawks if all you are going to do is complain?

Just because we are lifelong fans of the team does not make us lifelong fans of the owners.

Yeehaw! Great signing ASG this should really give us a shot against Howard now!

Is that better Dolfan?

A side note that may make you see a little reality....Derrick Caracter, the 58th pick in this years draft, in all likelihood will be getting the great Josh Powells minutes.

Edited by Buzzard

• Moderators

Be honest. Did ypu see ANY Laker games this year in which Josh Powell impressed you even a little bit?

Now that you mention it, there were a couple games (Dallas? Phoenix?) early in the season where Powell made some key boards 'n buckets while Pau Gasol was a little gimpy. I can see where he'll be eager to play a bigger role than just band-aid duty. I was more impressed when he was with the other Staples tenant, but that was a different role, and of course Clipper highlights on ESPN are like Halley's Comet.

My only concern is he has been increasingly happy with his outside shot, effectiveness notwithstanding, and we don't need two 6'9" Joshes firing away from 15 feet out while we sit back and cringe. Hopefully, he'll come to understand we need a big body to be just that, a big body.

~lw3