• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Jamal Crawford seeking an extensiona

TheNorthCydeRises

• Moderators

I agree. Let's throw away a good talent and a really good guy like Jamal, but let's by all means grossly overpay to keep JJ, Bibby and Marvin. I am extremely puzzled as to why we wasted a draft pick on Jordan Crawford (a player at a position which we were already in good shape with JJ and Jamal) while giving away a promising SF (a position at which we are undermanned.)

My read on that is that they thought Jordan would be ready to step into Jamal's shoes after this season and believed Jamal would be too expensive to resign or likely traded sometime prior to the deadline next season.

• Premium Member

I like Jamal, hope he stays, but this is also an opportunity.

Jamal could be a catalyst for ASG to get off their butts. Either they give in and give him an extension.. or they do something unexpected like make a trade. Even Though Paul has found renewed happiness with NO, I think that one thing NO has to consider is that they don't want a malcontent playing out his contract with them. The iron is hot now for both of these clubs.

Atlanta can push for Paul.

NO can push that we take back Okafor.

Paul and Okafor for Smoove/Craw/Bibby. should work. Although, i don't really want to move Smoove.

Paul and Okafor for Marvin/Craw/Bibby/Mo/First works also.. but I bet NY & Orlando can top this deal.

So stick with the first deal.

Risky for Atlanta.

Great for NO.

Our lineup is:

Paul/Teague

Joe/JCraw2

Marvin/

Horf/

Okafor/Zaza

All things considered, there's probably a deal that features Horf instead of Smoove. What would lead me to that deal is that Horf is a big risk. He might Lebron us.

Horf./Marvin/Mo/Craw for Paul/Okafor

guarantees that we have to take a C from somewhere.

Maybe a we get Shaq togo with Okie.

Edited by Diesel
  • Like 1

I agree. Let's throw away a good talent and a really good guy like Jamal, but let's by all means grossly overpay to keep JJ, Bibby and Marvin. I am extremely puzzled as to why we wasted a draft pick on Jordan Crawford (a player at a position which we were already in good shape with JJ and Jamal) while giving away a promising SF (a position at which we are undermanned.)

I agree on the premise that Jamal is too good to just use as a trading pawn. Unlike some of the names that have been tossed around this offseason like Shaq, Brad Miller, Kurt Thomas, and the other big men that so many fans want the Hawks to spend the luxury tax to get, Jamal is actually a player that came in and generated wins for this team last year. Jamal had a career year last year. He came in and posted an 18.4 PER and 7.3 win shares, both of which are the highest in his career. His previous highs were a 16.0 PER and 5.0 WS back in '07-'08 with the Knicks. He also posted his highest TS%, and that efficiencey during a season where he also posted his highest USG rate. Usually, your efficiency goes down as your usage goes up. Jamal also had his best per 36 minute averages in points scored. He just doesn't defend.

Now, the question at hand is whether he can duplicate what he did last season, or is he going to fall back to being a 4-5 win share player that puts up around a 15 PER?

Cmon yall serious??? Extending him is a great idea, he is the 6th man of the year, lead out team in scoring in the second round, and is a 100% class act, RESIGN HIM SUND

The question is... Why did the Hawks draft a player just like Jamal Crawford?

Answer:Jamal Crawford will not be a long term hawk.

I like Jamal, hope he stays, but this is also an opportunity.

Jamal could be a catalyst for ASG to get off their butts. Either they give in and give him an extension.. or they do something unexpected like make a trade. Even Though Paul has found renewed happiness with NO, I think that one thing NO has to consider is that they don't want a malcontent playing out his contract with them. The iron is hot now for both of these clubs.

Atlanta can push for Paul.

NO can push that we take back Okafor.

Paul and Okafor for Smoove/Craw/Bibby. should work. Although, i don't really want to move Smoove.

Paul and Okafor for Marvin/Craw/Bibby/Mo/First works also.. but I bet NY & Orlando can top this deal.

So stick with the first deal.

Risky for Atlanta.

Great for NO.

Our lineup is:

Paul/Teague

Joe/JCraw2

Marvin/

Horf/

Okafor/Zaza

All things considered, there's probably a deal that features Horf instead of Smoove. What would lead me to that deal is that Horf is a big risk. He might Lebron us.

Horf./Marvin/Mo/Craw for Paul/Okafor

guarantees that we have to take a C from somewhere.

Maybe a we get Shaq togo with Okie.

Getting Paul and trading Josh would feel somehwat counterproductive to me. Part of the reason to get him would be to make Josh a better player.

Can't you go aver the salary cap if the players already on your roster? and Mo Evans conrtact is coming off the books next year

That is a good question and it's one repeated on this site it seems weekly. I'll do my best to explain the difference between a salary cap and a luxury tax threshold.

The salary cap is kind of like a goal. It's a soft number that is a starting point for the limit you can spend. However, there are a number of exceptions that allow you to spend over the salary cap.

The luxury tax is a set in stone number that has no exceptions except that in the event of midseason trades or salaries paid partially by the league only counting the amount you paid to the player against the tax. It is higher than the salary cap (a little over 70 million this year). If your total salary is above the luxury tax, you pay a 100% penalty on that money over the luxury tax threshhold to the league. So if you had a team payroll of 74 million you would pay 74 million in salaries and about 3.67 million in taxes back to the league for violating the luxury tax threshhold.

So yes, you could go over the cap and yes you could go over the luxury tax to sign your own players. Going over the cap only proposes the penalty of not being able to sign other teams players for more than the minimum unless you have exceptions. Going over the luxury tax costs you twice as much money and locks up your future money long term.

He's not going to be on the roster come the beginning of the season.

• Premium Member

The question is... Why did the Hawks draft a player just like Jamal Crawford?

Answer:Jamal Crawford will not be a long term hawk.

I think we drafted JCraw2 because we were unsure that Joe Johnson would take our offer. Remember, Joe was going around with Lebron and his merry men. Joe was wanted in both Chicago and NY. Joe could have taken a salary cut and played with his good friend and former coach in NY (under the big lights). We brought in Craw for that purpose and we brought in JCraw2 to be Craw's backup.

• Premium Member

Getting Paul and trading Josh would feel somehwat counterproductive to me. Part of the reason to get him would be to make Josh a better player.

Paul can make more than Josh a better player though.

We get Paul and trade Smoove, we still have a core of Paul, Joe, and Horf. Those are three allstars with talent. Paul would make Horf better.

I would love to send Bibby, Craw, and Marvin for Paul but I just don't see them taking it.

• Premium Member

Nobody has approached this in the way of the truth, so let me give you the truth.

This is a calculated business move by Craw. He knows that next year, everything will change. The owners will lock out and get what they want. The PU will fold and give the owners what they want.

Here's what it will be.

No more LT.

There will be a hard Salary Cap that is somewhere less than where the LT starts.

Owners will be able to franchise players with a huge benefit to those franchised players. Probably something like a Franchised player receives Bird Rights (i.e. a team can go over the cap to resign them).

Deisel- once the Hawks were willing to guarantee a 6th year max to joe there was no question he was going to come back. With combo guards like Teague and Jordan Crawford on the roster Jamal is just too expensive of a luxury unless he takes a HUGE paycut.

• Premium Member

Deisel- once the Hawks were willing to guarantee a 6th year max to joe there was no question he was going to come back. With combo guards like Teague and Jordan Crawford on the roster Jamal is just too expensive of a luxury unless he takes a HUGE paycut.

Spot, I have to disagree.

It wasn't until Joe decided to come back that there was no doubt. Remember, he was in on the players summit. These guys were willing to cut some salary in order to play together. There is absolutely no reason why Joe shouldn't have gone to NY except Money... but who knew?

• Premium Member

Jamal had a great season last year but let's wait and see if he can repeat it before extending him and hand-cuffing ourselves further with another bad contract. If Jamal shows he is gonna go back to being a 40% shooter from the field than we should trade his expiring contract before the deadline for some help at PG or C.

<br />Jamal had a great season last year but let's wait and see if he can repeat it before extending him and hand-cuffing ourselves further with another bad contract. If Jamal shows he is gonna go back to being a 40% shooter from the field than we should trade his expiring contract before the deadline for some help at PG or C.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Jamal's trade value will never be higher. I am not confident that he can duplicate his numbers from last year. I think he was a perfect fit for Woody's Iso heavy system but don't see him being as successful in LD's motion offense. Granted I don't know much about the new offense, I just think Jamal's a more effective player when he can dominate the ball, even more so than Joe.

That's why I would be looking to trade him now. His $10 mil expiring contract plus his 6th man of the year season make him a valuable commodity right now. If he struggles at the beg. of the season, his value only decreases. I really like the dude as a person and as a 1 on 1 player but I think he's gotta be traded this off season.