• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

New Talk... very interesting?! Scary?!

Diesel

• Premium Member

While reading about Paul and West, I came across this...

If the Atlanta Hawks want to retain Al Horford next season, Vince Ellis believes the team will likely have to part with Josh Smith. Ellis wonders if Tayshaun Prince's expiring contract would be enough to entice the Hawks to swing a deal. Ellis also suggests New Orleans PF David West might be available if the Hornets decide to blow it up and start over.

So I'm thinking.. Who in the Blue hell is Vince Ellis?

Atlanta: The Hawks overpaid to keep Joe Johnson and could decide they can't afford Josh Smith and Grand Ledge's Al Horford. The Pistons asked about Smith in the summer of 2008, and Tayshaun Prince's expiring deal could entice the Hawks to part with the 6-foot-9 guard/forward. Pistons scout Harold Ellis is familiar with both players as he was with the Hawks organization when they were drafted.

Ok... He dropped a familiar name that time. Harold Ellis... is a former Hawks scout and knows some people in the inner sanctum of Hawks basketball. However, we'd be fools to send Smoove for Prince. Maybe Marvin or Bibby.

If we did a three way Dance with Detroit... and we gave them Horf and they gave up something to the Hornets to help us get Paul. All could be good?

For instance, would you want Paul and Greg Monroe for a package with Horf?

Consider the source. Seems to me if we trade Smoove we need a pf or center?

Very true!

Plus, Hornets will not, under any circumstances, trade CP3 without getting rid of a bad contract...

So, the only package that makes sense for Hawks is CP3 & Okafor, as already discussed on our board. That way we land CP3 and a center.

What would it take to get it done... it's hard to say... But I truly believe that we're one of the rare teams that can put a solid offer on the table (quality player, exp.contract, even a draft pick)!

P.S. Unfortunatelly, it would also mean we'd have to say 'bye to one of Smoove or Horf...

Didn't we ink him for 5 years a summer or two ago? That's not going to affect Horf next summer. Now when Smoove becomes a FA again, a long way away, I get it...but so much can happen by then...Re-signing Horf is priority number one, in my mind.

• Like 2

Very true!

Plus, Hornets will not, under any circumstances, trade CP3 without getting rid of a bad contract...

So, the only package that makes sense for Hawks is CP3 & Okafor, as already discussed on our board. That way we land CP3 and a center.

What would it take to get it done... it's hard to say... But I truly believe that we're one of the rare teams that can put a solid offer on the table (quality player, exp.contract, even a draft pick)!

P.S. Unfortunatelly, it would also mean we'd have to say 'bye to one of Smoove or Horf...

For these very same reason a trade will not go down between the Hawks and Hornets. If you are the new GM of the Hornets do you trade an all star/bonified star in Paul for marginal all star in Horford/Smith? NO.

Do you trade away same said PG and a quality Center for choice of PF that won't suplant your all star PF in West?? NO.

Would you think building around West/Horford or West/Smith is viable in the West? NO.

Once again Hawksquawk fanatics... we are only thinking about this for what we can get out of it and not being realistic enough in some of our trade scenerios. Every year we have one or two rumors that us fans go crazy over and indulge ourselves deep in thought on the subject of actually aquiring a star player, that just will not die. Unfortunately for us, some of these very same rumors are ones that realistically outside of a salary match wont work for us. Although it is fun to dream....

For these very same reason a trade will not go down between the Hawks and Hornets. If you are the new GM of the Hornets do you trade an all star/bonified star in Paul for marginal all star in Horford/Smith? NO.

Do you trade away same said PG and a quality Center for choice of PF that won't suplant your all star PF in West?? NO.

Would you think building around West/Horford or West/Smith is viable in the West? NO.

Once again Hawksquawk fanatics... we are only thinking about this for what we can get out of it and not being realistic enough in some of our trade scenerios. Every year we have one or two rumors that us fans go crazy over and indulge ourselves deep in thought on the subject of actually aquiring a star player, that just will not die. Unfortunately for us, some of these very same rumors are ones that realistically outside of a salary match wont work for us. Although it is fun to dream....

I'm not sayin' somethin' will happen'... but there's definitely somethin' goin' on... and if it's true that CP3 wants out, then anything is possible! Plus, they already have a promissing PG and they could opt to blow it up and start all over with young talents, draft picks and financial leverage...

All I'm sayin' is, if it's out there, and if it makes us better, we need to find the way to explore it...

Surely Sund is not that dumb, we could land Prince for Marvin.. I just don't see trading Smoove, just to make Al happy. Sure he has potential, but he's not good enough to request us to make any moves. Either suck it up and play C, or leave it's that easy..

Edited by jsmoovefan

Consider the source. Seems to me if we trade Smoove we need a pf or center?

You don't trade a player like Josh Smith for a need. You trade him because you are getting a star player in the deal, period, whether that player is a point guard, shooting guard, small forward, power forward, or center. If you put Josh Smith on the market and only look for a center in return, you will never get value for him. Very few centers in the league are as good or better than Josh Smith, and in fact, his teammate is one of those few, and those centers will not be available in a trade.

Right now, the only player that could possibly be available via trade that would be worth moving Josh Smith to get is Chris Paul, though I would possibly consider Danny Granger as well.

Surely Sund is not that dumb, we could land Prince for Marvin.. I just don't see trading Smoove, just to make Al happy. Sure he has potential, but he's not good enough to request us to make any moves. Either suck it up and play C, or leave it's that easy..

Wait a second. Al has been a team player playing out of position. He is an all-star at that position despite that. He doesn't have a bad attitude. He doesn't walk up the court when things aren't going his way. Yeah Al, just defy your skillset and genetics and play a position where a lot of guys are bigger and better suited to play and just shut up. Gimme a break. Al is twice the man Smoove is and is far more qualified to be a leader for this team. Smoove is the one that needs to be told to suck it up!

• Like 2

While reading about Paul and West, I came across this...

So I'm thinking.. Who in the Blue hell is Vince Ellis?

Ok... He dropped a familiar name that time. Harold Ellis... is a former Hawks scout and knows some people in the inner sanctum of Hawks basketball. However, we'd be fools to send Smoove for Prince. Maybe Marvin or Bibby.

If we did a three way Dance with Detroit... and we gave them Horf and they gave up something to the Hornets to help us get Paul. All could be good?

For instance, would you want Paul and Greg Monroe for a package with Horf?

I ain't buying it Diesel. The writer mentions Harold Ellis but he never quotes from him. Harold is a homeboy and was very entrenched to the inner doings of the Hawks but there is no credible connection with Harold Ellis and this story. I suspect the writer is moving dead air, nothing more.