• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Why do we think Shaq will give in and take less money just to play

Blunt91

I was thinking about the Shaq situation. Shaq isn't a dummy, I am pretty sure he knows Hawks management (& other teams) are playing hardball with him. The only way he will play for around the Vet minimum is for a team that has a legitmate chance at a title. He may be old but he can still bang in the middle and guard the bigger centers in the league. Why should Shaq take less than the MLE when you have guys like Brad Miller signing a contract for over 5million a year. What has Brad Miller done in his career that even comes close to the accomplishments of Shaquille? Some say Shaq is old, but Brad Miller is 34 years old, So Shaq is only 4years older than this guy but people want to hand Shaquille "chump change" to play for them. Yeah I know reports have stated he wants around 7 or 8 million but if a playoff team offered him the full MLE I believe he would take it. The problem is no team has made an offer to give him that type of money.

I really don't see Shaquille signing here out of desparation. IF he has to wait half the season before someone from a contender is willing to pay him then I think that is what he will do. There is no reason for Shaq to lower his demands unlessen he is desparate for money. He can go on and venture into other projects (television or movies) while he awaits for the right situation.

• Premium Member

Take half the year off, stay in shape, do cameos and TV shows, sign with a contending team for a few million after the All-Star break.

~lw3

For most veteran ex-star players, that's a good strategy. For Shaq, does anyone actually think he'll stay in good shape between now and March if he doesn't play?

• Like 1

• Moderators

For most veteran ex-star players, that's a good strategy. For Shaq, does anyone actually think he'll stay in good shape between now and March if he doesn't play?

Only if "round" counts as a shape! :-)

~lw3

• Like 1

well eventually shaq will take less money to play with somebody. it may not be us he takes less money from. at the time shaq price is too high and little to no teams want him at the time besides us, so my point is he will probably take less money and try to force himself on a team of his liking like the celtics.

I was thinking about the Shaq situation. Shaq isn't a dummy, I am pretty sure he knows Hawks management (& other teams) are playing hardball with him. The only way he will play for around the Vet minimum is for a team that has a legitmate chance at a title. He may be old but he can still bang in the middle and guard the bigger centers in the league. Why should Shaq take less than the MLE when you have guys like Brad Miller signing a contract for over 5million a year. What has Brad Miller done in his career that even comes close to the accomplishments of Shaquille? Some say Shaq is old, but Brad Miller is 34 years old, So Shaq is only 4years older than this guy but people want to hand Shaquille "chump change" to play for them. Yeah I know reports have stated he wants around 7 or 8 million but if a playoff team offered him the full MLE I believe he would take it. The problem is no team has made an offer to give him that type of money.

I really don't see Shaquille signing here out of desparation. IF he has to wait half the season before someone from a contender is willing to pay him then I think that is what he will do. There is no reason for Shaq to lower his demands unlessen he is desparate for money. He can go on and venture into other projects (television or movies) while he awaits for the right situation.

I agree. And to kind of piggy back on this, the ASG's time to sign this dude is actually running out, if the want to reap the type of buzz, preparation, and economic benefits that a Shaq to Atlanta will bring.

I am so proud of my Bengals for taking a chance with Terrell Owens. You see what is happening in Cincinnati right now, right? Everybody is now talking about that team, and the fan base is getting excited. They addressed a need on that team ( wide receiver ), and upgraded it with a veteran guy who at the very least, can still be a good possession receiver and an occasional deep threat. This may open up the entire field for either Chad Johnson, or the young TE Grisham out of Oklahoma, who can catch the hell out of the ball.

Once that schedule comes out, they may lose national TV games ( especially on TNT ).

Instead, they'd rather hold onto Marvin for dear life, or not pay a little Luxury Tax to bring him in.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

I agree. And to kind of piggy back on this, the ASG's time to sign this dude is actually running out, if the want to reap the type of buzz, preparation, and economic benefits that a Shaq to Atlanta will bring.

I am so proud of my Bengals for taking a chance with Terrell Owens. You see what is happening in Cincinnati right now, right? Everybody is now talking about that team, and the fan base is getting excited. They addressed a need on that team ( wide receiver ), and upgraded it with a veteran guy who at the very least, can still be a good possession receiver and an occasional deep threat. This may open up the entire field for either Chad Johnson, or the young TE Grisham out of Oklahoma, who can catch the hell out of the ball.

Once that schedule comes out, they may lose national TV games ( especially on TNT ).

Instead, they'd rather hold onto Marvin for dear life, or not pay a little Luxury Tax to bring him in.

You're right on with your post. Obviously, you get it, but unfortunately, the ASG and the Hawks don't.

Off topic...Though I agree that it's created a buzz....Poor Carson Palmer.

Ochocinco, TO, and Antonio Bryant on the same team? Really? Palmer is going to have to play psychiatrist.

Buckeye . . . the reason T.O. is a Bengal right now, is because of Carson Palmer. He's the one that was working out with Owens in Cali, and called coach Marvin Lewis about T.O. and how he could help the team.

LOL . . now once the games start, I'm sure #9 will let T.O. what is up, just like he has to do Chad at times.

And don't forget, the Bengals even picked up Pac Man Jones as an kick/punt returner and an extra Nickel DB. They have all kinds of "potential cancers" on that team.

But at least they're going for it.

Wish the ASG would approach the Shaq situation in similar fashion.

Buckeye . . . the reason T.O. is a Bengal right now, is because of Carson Palmer. He's the one that was working out with Owens in Cali, and called coach Marvin Lewis about T.O. and how he could help the team.

LOL . . now once the games start, I'm sure #9 will let T.O. what is up, just like he has to do Chad at times.

And don't forget, the Bengals even picked up Pac Man Jones as an kick/punt returner and an extra Nickel DB. They have all kinds of "potential cancers" on that team.

But at least they're going for it.

Wish the ASG would approach the Shaq situation in similar fashion.

Agreed Northcyde...ASG needs to show the fans it wants more than the status quo. It's not enough to just bring the same players plus Powell and Crawford in the draft. Elite teams don't stand pat. They always want to improve.Sometiems they take that chance that a clubhouse cancer can change and not be a distraction and sometimes it works. One way or another ASG wll show what it wants to accomplish either be just competitive enough to make the playoffs and get bounced out in the 1st or 2nd round or add some talent and increase the odds the team can put it together and compete for a championship.

If we added some talent and did accomplish a chance to compete for a championship other players just may grant us an opportunity to want to play for the Hawks in the future and may change the whole atmosphere.Now players like to live in the Atlanta area but go to other cities since Atlanta doesn't offer enough in trying to win a championship.