• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Need a 7 footer (C)

DJlaysitup

OK in order to allow our best PF prospect (Al Horford) to not have to play center at 6'9 1/2" - we need a 7 footer. I will count 6'11' as close enough but not 6'10" or below. 6'11" and above are my 7 footers:

Dwight Howard

Tim Duncan

Joakim Noah

M. Camby

Brook Lopez

Mehmet Okur

Andrew Bogut

Samuel Dalembert

Zaza Pachulia

Jeff Foster

Shaquille O'Neal

Brad Miller

Chris Kaman

Tyson Chandler

Big Z

Eddy Curry

Kwame Brown

T. Diop

Andris Beidrins

Darko Milicic

Joel Pryzbilla

P. Brezec

Jamal Magliore

Pau Gasol

and I'm likely leaving a few out....we HAVE to get a center IMHO. There are a bunch of 7 footers. Why can't we have one instead of starting a 6'9 1/2" center?

• Like 1

Jason Collins is 6'11.5" so boom we set.

:biggrin: .I was trying to keep the list down to actual competitive NBA players (starters and decent backups)....he wasn't on any of the top 50 NBA current centers over 6'11" lists that I searched.....but he might just surpize us :rolleyes: !

(I realize you are kidding CTC)

• Moderators

How many on that list does Horford have any problem defending? I count 2 maybe 3. I understand Horf would rather play the 4 but the truth is the dude's an all star CENTER already. I don't think having a seven footer is critical at all.

• Like 2

• Premium Member

It is critical against every competitive playoff team.

Last year's East champions have a center who is 6'10. It wasn't being overmatched by Shaq and Big Z that gave us trouble against Cleveland. And no one on the Heat, Bulls, Mavs, Spurs, or Jazz will leave Horford shaking in his boots.

So unless "every competitive playoff team" refers just to the Magic and Lakers, that's just not true.

Edited by niremetal

I dont think the size we need is a height problem as much as it is a SPACE problem. We need someone to clog up the lanes on defense and allow spacing on the offensive side weither it be in the paint or being able to pick and pop. You can be as tall as anyone in the league, but if you cant stop the opposition for moving you around and man handling you whats the point of being taller that your advisary?

• Premium Member

The Hawks may not need a true seven footer per say, but they need more size in their main front court rotation. I know many like to point to Kendrick Perkins to justify playing Horford at center because Perkins is 6'10. However, Perkins is much bigger than Horford. His size and length allow him to defend at the center spot without needing help. The difference in the way the defended oppossing centers in the playoffs clearly show that. The Celtics also had the size and/or length of Garnett, Wallace and Davis who were also great defenders. This Hawks present front court does not have that type of size or defensive capability. Period. If nothing changes personnel wise, the Hawks will once again struggle defensively inside and on the boards come playoff time.

• Premium Member

The Hawks may not need a true seven footer per say, but they need more size in their main front court rotation. I know many like to point to Kendrick Perkins to justify playing Horford at center because Perkins is 6'10. However, Perkins is much bigger than Horford. His size and length allow him to defend at the center spot without needing help. The difference in the way the defended oppossing centers in the playoffs clearly show that. The Celtics also had the size and/or length of Garnett, Wallace and Davis who were also great defenders. This Hawks present front court does not have that type of size or defensive capability. Period. If nothing changes personnel wise, the Hawks will once again struggle defensively inside and on the boards come playoff time.

Dwight averaged 21 and 13 against the Hawks and 22 and 11 against the Celtics - after averaging 10 and 9 against the Bobcats. The Celtics didn't beat the Magic by shutting down Howard or keeping him from getting his on the boards. They beat them by covering the Magic's perimeter players like a heavy blanket. If anything, this year's playoffs showed that shutting down Howard is neither necessary nor sufficient to beat the Magic.

Also note that Dwight Howard is neither 6'11" nor 7'0". He's 6'10". He's actually 6'9" without shoes on. What makes him so effective is his length, not his size. He's the best center in basketball because he is so freakishly long and athletic, not because he is the biggest or most physical.

Also note that Dwight Howard is neither 6'11" nor 7'0". He's 6'10". He's actually 6'9" without shoes on. What makes him so effective is his length, not his size. He's the best center in basketball because he is so freakishly long and athletic, not because he is the biggest or most physical.

Dwight Howard is not 6'9. Not a chance in hell....

• Premium Member

Dwight Howard is not 6'9. Not a chance in hell....

He was 6'9 without shoes at the pre-draft combine measurement in '04:

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Dwight-Howard-2888/

I think he grew about another half-inch or 3/4-inch after that, but he's no taller than 6'10 without shoes (--> 6'11 with shoes).

He was 6'9 without shoes at the pre-draft combine measurement in '04:

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Dwight-Howard-2888/

I think he grew about another half-inch or 3/4-inch after that, but he's no taller than 6'10 without shoes (--> 6'11 with shoes).

He seems he dwarfs other players to me, maybe KB is correct, its his limbs.

Why do they measure without shoes anyway? Nobody plays without shoes. That's dumb.

The game is played WITH shoes on, not without. It's silly to even mention the "without shoes" height, just to win an argument.

That's like a woman who is 5'9" telling a man of the same size, that she can't date him, because she's taller than him in heels and she loves to wear heels.

The man says . . "but you're the same height as I am. Just don't wear heels, and you won't be taller."

She's not going to stop wearing heels, thus, making her 6 foot or 6'1" in heels. The undet 6 foot guy is out of luck.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

The game is played WITH shoes on, not without. It's silly to even mention the "without shoes" height, just to win an argument.

The people who come on here and say that Horford is only 6'9 are using his without shoes height too. Turnabout is fair play.

Apples to apples, Horford is only 1 inch shorter than Howard. The point is that Howard doesn't overmatch his opponents thanks to his height. He does it with his freakish strength and even more freakish athleticism.

As for who we need, it's obvious . . .

No sense discussing a big center, when we refuse to go out and get him.

Our final signee will probably be a SF.

Which this team needs more than a center at this point.

The people who come on here and say that Horford is only 6'9 are using his without shoes height too. Turnabout is fair play.

Apples to apples, Horford is only 1 inch shorter than Howard. The point is that Howard doesn't overmatch his opponents thanks to his height. He does it with his freakish strength and even more freakish athleticism.

Actually, it's the combination of his length and athleticism rather than his strength. He has a maximum vertical reach greater than many seven footers in the game because he is so long and athletic. At 6'9", Dwight has a standing reach of 9'3.5", and when you combine his vertical of 35", Dwight's maximum vertical reach is 12'3". His max vertical reach is greater than most of the seven footers in the game because he is so much longer and more athletic than those guys. Really, the only seven footer in the league at this moment in time that has the athleticism and length that Dwight Howard has is Andrew Bynum, and there is still something lacking in him that keeps him from being the top center in the league that Dwight is.

• Like 1