• Raised $440 of $700 target

Now are you glad we didn't get Shaq?

jerrywest

from ajc blog:

Fresh

September 4th, 2010

9:56 pm

A Quote From Shaq In A Recent Interview:

O’Neal said what sold him on the Celtics is the unselfish play of the veteran group. “I like that they play together and nobody really worries about shots, ” O’Neal said. “When I was with Cleveland, guys who couldn’t even play were worried about shots. Why was Mo (Williams) taking 15 shots, and I’m only taking four?

http://www.nola.com/hornets/index.ssf/2010/09/shaquille_oneal_expects_to_hav.html

LOL AND SMH AT ALL OF THE edited WANTING SHAQ IN THE HAWKS LOCKER ROOM!!!!!! Thank you Boston from saving the Hawks from themselves! Also if this is the way Shaq felt about the Cavs, what do you think he was gonna say about Al, Josh, Joe, or Jamal taking shots????????

Edited by gsuteke

Seems I remember rumours of a locker room "cancer" existing in the Hawks locker room at the end of last season as well. And we have basically the same squad returning.

I haven't heard anything more on this since Woody was fired --- but my take on it at the time was that it was a player ( or players) ----not Woody necessarilly.

If having a cancer-free locker room was a key to winning titles, it seems unlikely that the Jordan Bulls or Shaq/Kobe Lakers would have ever won as much as they did --if one can believe most of the stuff was written about them. I guess a team can either choose to feed on cancer ---- or allow it to feed on them.

CS

• Premium Member

This is so 8th grade.

The bottom line is that we needed Shaq. What he says about his former team or his future team doesn't change the fact that we needed him.

Players are going to say what they feel, some in front of a camera, some not in front of a camera. That Cleveland team had problems and it doesn't sound like Shaq was the problem. Why was Mo Williams worried about the number of shots he had to take?

If Shaq played here and then next year he retired and said I'm so glad to be chillin in Orlando with my pork rinds and big gulp.. In Atlanta, Smoove was always worried about his shots and Marvin always needed to know what time rugrats came on in various cities....

Do you think I would lose 1 night of sleep?

Now if Shaq is on the court and not rebounding, not passing, not shooting, not defending... then we have a problem.

Well first off we arent the Cavs who had lebron inflating the heads of every player on there roster to believe that they were more than scrubs . If Shaq wouldve joined the Hawks I feel that our players wouldve went out of there way to feed the shaq the ball and he wouldve gotten plenty of touches and been allowed to establish himself . Just from reading and hearing there comments they all seem to really respect him and what hes done .

• Like 1

Well first off we arent the Cavs who had lebron inflating the heads of every player on there roster to believe that they were more than scrubs . If Shaq wouldve joined the Hawks I feel that our players wouldve went out of there way to feed the shaq the ball and he wouldve gotten plenty of touches and been allowed to establish himself . Just from reading and hearing there comments they all seem to really respect him and what hes done .

i believe you are right.

I can't stand Shaq. I wanted him for is talent only, but as a person, I could care less for Shaq.

• Moderators

http://www.nola.com/hornets/index.ssf/2010/09/qa_with_nba_great_shaquille_on.html

"Atlanta was cool, but they don't have a lot of national television games. But Boston, with Kevin Garnett, Ray Allen, Paul Pierce, I said we can do it. A lot of people said I only got the league minimum salary, but that's all right. I'm the luckiest guy in the world. I've had four max contracts in one lifetime, I don't care about that little million. Did I want $10 million? I'm always going to put the number high. I could have gotten $8 million from Atlanta and Detroit, but it wasn't about that. It was about being somewhere and being seen and winning."

~Fu Schnickens

“When I was with Cleveland, guys who couldn’t even play were worried about shots. Why was Mo (Williams) taking 15 shots, and I’m only taking four?

So he's talking crap about people being worried about their shots.....while mentioning how he didn't get his shots. None of that has any basis in reality though considering, per minute wise, Shaq shot more than Mo. Not hard to imagine considering that every time Shaq was in the game the ball had to touch his hands thus why both the defense and offense of the Cavs were worse with him in the lineup than out (Fact).

And if Mo Williams is a guy who he thinks can't play I can't imagine what he'd think of most our roster then, we already know he wanted a starting spot here.

Forget the Locker room issue...Shaq would have slowed the Hawks down considerably. The only reason shaq was in cleveland was to deal with Dwight Howard and they didnt even make it that far. To be honest SHaq fits well in Boston style of play. they are slow with exception of Rondo, and they run half court offense sets all the time. The Hawks are very athletic and excels when running an untempo game. I like SHaq from a popular aspect, bring fans to the game, his quirky quotes, etc., But to be honest, shaq just doesnt fit here. He didnt Fit in Phoenix, He didnt fit in Cleveland and THANK GOD he is not in Atlanta.

• Premium Member

Forget the Locker room issue...Shaq would have slowed the Hawks down considerably. The only reason shaq was in cleveland was to deal with Dwight Howard and they didnt even make it that far. To be honest SHaq fits well in Boston style of play. they are slow with exception of Rondo, and they run half court offense sets all the time. The Hawks are very athletic and excels when running an untempo game. I like SHaq from a popular aspect, bring fans to the game, his quirky quotes, etc., But to be honest, shaq just doesnt fit here. He didnt Fit in Phoenix, He didnt fit in Cleveland and THANK GOD he is not in Atlanta.

On the court, he may have slowed us, but he would have opened the floor for all kinds of offense. You have to still respect him inside. That means Joe, Bibs, Craw, Marv, and even Teague get wide open looks.

from ajc blog:

Fresh

September 4th, 2010

9:56 pm

A Quote From Shaq In A Recent Interview:

O’Neal said what sold him on the Celtics is the unselfish play of the veteran group. “I like that they play together and nobody really worries about shots, ” O’Neal said. “When I was with Cleveland, guys who couldn’t even play were worried about shots. Why was Mo (Williams) taking 15 shots, and I’m only taking four?

http://www.nola.com/hornets/index.ssf/2010/09/shaquille_oneal_expects_to_hav.html

LOL AND SMH AT ALL OF THE edited WANTING SHAQ IN THE HAWKS LOCKER ROOM!!!!!! Thank you Boston from saving the Hawks from themselves! Also if this is the way Shaq felt about the Cavs, what do you think he was gonna say about Al, Josh, Joe, or Jamal taking shots????????

Shaq is wack!... That sums it up for me

• Moderators

Shaq says this every time he leaves a team. I like how his main motivation to play basketball is to be on national tv. I'm just tired of guys who just want to achieve personal glory by jumping on the coattails of the other guys doing all the work. I'm just glad I don't have to cheer for a team with Shaq on it. He's like school on Saturday. Can't wait to see him get punk'd by Jason Collins again.

Like Diesel said . . . this is an 8th grade mentality. And it's not like Shaq was wrong. When you look at the Cavs last year, the one guy who didn't play up to his perceived level ( especially during the playoffs ), was Mo Williams.

I mean, God forbid that if Shaq was on the Hawks, that he would call out Josh Smith for taking too many long jumpers . . or Joe Johnson for not drawing enough fouls and getting to the line. That would destroy "team chemistry".

But he'd be telling the truth.

It's like some of you don't even watch playoff basketball. For the most part, you need a dual inside - outside threat to get to championship level . . . unless you have Jordan on your team.

Shaq has 4 championships and has played in 6 NBA Finals. I would think he knows a little something about what it takes to win in the NBA. All of that fake picture taking didn't do crap for Cleveland, as soon as Boston punched them in the mouth.

Mo Williams will get all the shots he wants this season though, seeing that it's essentially his and Antwan Jamison's team now.

• Moderators

What's the point of calling out a team that you no longer play for and has been blown up. Wow, what a revelation by Shaq that Cleveland was dysfunctional. Maybe it would have been constructive in the locker room. Putting it the newspaper when you're no longer on the team is just childish.