• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

You Can’t Teach Size… or Banging

Endy9

http://hawksbasketblog.com/2010/09/10/you-cant-teach-size-or-banging/

Larry Drew recently told FoxSportsSouth.com “When I got the job, one of the first things that I spoke to Rick Sund about was bringing in a big guy — a guy that would be a kind of a natural banger.”

“Natural Banger” might be the most accurate way to describe Etan Thomas. Coach Drew saw that first hand when he was an assistant with the Washington Wizards during Thomas’ rookie season. He is hoping the physical style of play will be contagious through the Hawks frontcourt.

Let’s face it, Al Horford hasn’t had to go against a body like Thomas’ in practice since he was drafted. Solomon Jones, Joe Smith and Randolph Morris are all recent teammates that are over 6’10″, but all of them would rather avoid contact than initiate it. Then there is Zaza. Big Z has perfected the art of running into people, but stand him up next to Etan Thomas and tell me which one you would take in an arm wrestling contest. Zaza’s physicality will get under Dwight Howard’s skin, but Thomas’ could wear him down.

This is the latest tweak in the Larry Drew approach to taking the Hawks to the next level. So far we have 1) more movement on offense, 2) more ball pressure on defense, and 3) more “banging” inside. Something tells me that if Drew has his way Hawks opponents will be sore the next morning.

This style also requires a deep bench and great conditioning. I see Chattin Hill, the Hawks Strenght & Conditioning Coordinator, getting plenty of face time with the players during training camp. Word is that the players have been put on notice that they are expected to enter camp ready to hit the ground running.

Sure I like the addition of Ethan Thomas. I think he's a good teammate, hard worker and a physical player. I also think that he can improve our depth, give us solid 10 - 15 minutes off the bench and a couple of "Purpose" fouls...

I'm actually quite happy with the way our roster looks like... I belong to one of those who believes that our team still has tons of room for improvement from within... and although we don't have Howard-type center (as well as the rest of the NBA), I think we should be fine with Al, Zaza, E.T. and Collins!

Sure I like the addition of Ethan Thomas. I think he's a good teammate, hard worker and a physical player. I also think that he can improve our depth, give us solid 10 - 15 minutes off the bench and a couple of "Purpose" fouls...

I'm actually quite happy with the way our roster looks like... I belong to one of those who believes that our team still has tons of room for improvement from within... and although we don't have Howard-type center (as well as the rest of the NBA), I think we should be fine with Al, Zaza, E.T. and Collins!

i agree. we got some big bodies that need to just be worked. LD has to get these men playing tough and getting physical! he does that we will be ok!

i agree. we got some big bodies that need to just be worked. LD has to get these men playing tough and getting physical! he does that we will be ok!

I mean, we all understand that other teams have gotten better and that Miami had "NBA 2K15"-like-off-season... but we're overlookin' our team's unique strenghts... depth, athleticism, chemistry, continuity... and as you've said LD's determination to truly push this team to play up to it's strenghts and potentials...

It's a feel good article, and Drew has said all the right things thusfar. Getting more physical, getting some movement on offense, and being held accountable for the play on the court. The latter being the most intriguing to me. I don't think Woody addressed the "team" concept from a head coaching perspective as much as he should...However, I think we have upgraded our front court DEPTH, but not so much TALENT. Etan is an upgrade over Morris, but not to the level where we all wanna be.. Collins lost weight, and that's good, but is he gonna "really" contribute? Josh Powell, ok, nice pick up, for depth. Good mid range jumper, alright.... Zaza is Zaza....

I know I'm coming off negative, because I know there's not a lot of true centers out there, and the ones that are, are not available. I just hope adding depth, more fouls, and more physical play is the right move. Maybe it was our only move. I dunno.

• Like 3

• Premium Member

I like Drew's attitude. He realize that we are not tough and we didn't have the toughness in our attitude. So what did he do, ask for tough guys. We have been a finesse team for too long. Bring in the toughness. I think it's our lack of physical toughness that leads to our lack of mental toughness. Drew is fixing that. It's good. My thought is how will guys like Mo and Zaza respond. I bring these two up specifically because they look like they can be tough.... but they have grown content.

I mean, it's not just a feel good article...

We got some front-court depth:

Al is a complete package, no doubt!

Zaza is an excellent back-up, but he needs to get himself more involved. He's got quick feet, sets solid picks, and rebounds well...

Thomas will become an instant defensive stopper and enforcer, bringin' couple of extra fouls off the bench...

and Collins will serve as a banger here and there. If recent reports are true, he worked out well this offseason and has gotten himself into decent shape.

So... everybody brings something different to the table... and I believe LD will mix things up with deeper rotation, in order to keep fast pace, high tempo basketball, fresh legs, combined with strong "D"... Obviously that's the key and should bring the best out of our team...

P.S. Just think about defensive potential of this line-up:

PG Teague

SG JJ

SF Smoove

PF Al

C Thomas

• Like 1

If the big guy can bring about a change of attitude that would be more important than thepoints he scores.

Exactly DrR...Ethan has proven last year that he can average 3.3 ppg along with 2.8 rebound per game. Now granted his stats have declined every year in the league - but that's no reason to think he won't shine for us.help%20wanted3.gif