• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Is this the end for Bibby?

TheNorthCydeRises

Bibby's complete inactivity in these last 2 preseason games is cause for concern. And now that Drew isn't protecting him on the defensive end by switching everything, Hawks beat writer Michael Cunningham feels that Bibby simply doesn't have the lateral movement to play straight up defense.

Bibby was one of the main beneficiaries of the ISO offense, in that JJ would readily pass the ball to a wide open Bibby, especially when Bibby's man would go to double JJ.

It's hard to really know without seeing the team function in the offense more, but the things that made Bibby successful as a player in the past, has been taken away.

Is he done?

And if he is, should Teague be the starter and Jordan the backup PG?

Bibby's complete inactivity in these last 2 preseason games is cause for concern. And now that Drew isn't protecting him on the defensive end by switching everything, Hawks beat writer Michael Cunningham feels that Bibby simply doesn't have the lateral movement to play straight up defense.

Bibby was one of the main beneficiaries of the ISO offense, in that JJ would readily pass the ball to a wide open Bibby, especially when Bibby's man would go to double JJ.

It's hard to really know without seeing the team function in the offense more, but the things that made Bibby successful as a player in the past, has been taken away.

Is he done?

Bibby really didn't contribute to the team last season. His production fell off by nearly half. Why would you think he would be more productive this year? It was so obvious that he was done LAST season.

• Premium Member

Is he done?

Right now, the only benefit that Bibby seems to give is experience and a lockerroom voice. We don't know how much that means, but all indications are that Bibby will coach after this. I think you're right in that Bibby was a beneficiary of Iso-Joe.... but that also means that he should be as big a beneficiary in an uptempo, ball movement-motion offense. I think the thing that some of us fail to acknowledge is that a motion offense allows Bibby to still be that outside shooter. I like a motion offense for this team because we don't have a true PG. Neither Bibby, Teague or either Crawford is a true PG. I guess the closest is Crawford1. However, Motion doesn't require a pure PG. Motion requires movement. That's ball and player movement. Bibby should be outside constantly moving.

We should have our bigs and forwards running screens, backdoor screens, pick and rolls, pick and fences, and the like all day long. Once we improve recognition, I think some of these things will be automatic and we will look really good. Until then, we will have guys committing turnovers because the form of offense is really loose. If LD runs it like I'm familiar with, nobody should hold the ball longer than 5 secs. If that's the case, it can get sloppy, but with practice, no defense will be able to predict what we will do... It's going to be great!

• Premium Member

I said when Bibby was going into free agency that we needed to let him walk and find a younger replacement. Instead they foolishly gave him a three year deal. We are stuck with him for this season and next season. The guy has lost almost all of his lateral movement and its been glaringly obvious for two seasons now.

• Premium Member

Is he done?

I'll reiterate 2 things you said:

-Bibby was the only reason Woody played the switching defense.

-Bibby benefited greatly from the 2-man game with JJ

LD said the switching defense is over

LD said the Iso-Joe show is over

therefore i think our boy Bibbs is done.

Edited by NineOhTheRino

I don't look at it as being "stuck" with Bibby. Though I agree with everyone, that he's an obvious liability on D, and his athleticism is gone...he can still help us. And, he's not killing us financially. 3 million per isn't going to break the bank. Despite not being a captain, I still believe he's a leader on our team. I believe he is a strong locker room voice...I think LD chose to not make him captain because his minutes are going to be cut so much. He can still shoot, still lead....

Edited by buckeye242424

• Premium Member

I don't look at it as being "stuck" with Bibby. Though I agree with everyone, that he's an obvious liability on D, and his athleticism is gone...he can still help us. And, he's not killing us financially. 3 million per isn't going to break the bank. Despite not being a captain, I still believe he's a leader on our team. I believe he is a strong locker room voice...I think LD chose to not make him captain because his minutes are going to be cut so much. He can still shoot, still lead....

You might want to check your math, Bibby is owed a lot more than 3 million per. I don't care about his "locker room leadership" this guy is a walking defensive nightmare every time he's on the court.

• Premium Member

I said when Bibby was going into free agency that we needed to let him walk and find a younger replacement. Instead they foolishly gave him a three year deal. We are stuck with him for this season and next season. The guy has lost almost all of his lateral movement and its been glaringly obvious for two seasons now.

At the time, there was no one. Bibby was still a good shooter and still able to play (at least on the offensive side of the floor). The one plus was that Bibby was willing to train Teague and move out of his way. Like it or not, Teague is the future with Bibby being a PG off the bench. I think that's just something we have to look at and swallow hard unless we can find a trade for him.

Seems like Jordan is more of a point than what we initially thought. I would continue to play him there to see whether he develops.

If he could develop into combo guard it would be great. He's a little bit short for SG (although still taller than Ellis/Curry).

You might want to check your math, Bibby is owed a lot more than 3 million per. I don't care about his "locker room leadership" this guy is a walking defensive nightmare every time he's on the court.

I thought he signed a 3 year, 9 million dollar deal prior to the beginning of last year?? If not, I'm wrong. I'm just saying, he's not going anywhere, he's under contract....he still can help the team in one way or the other.

I don't expect to see that Bibby has lost THAT much of his skills from last season.

He wasn't great last season - - or the year before. Not great but pretty good. When he

has a hot hand, he can knock down the long shot, time after time - Sometimes a long

two pointer and sometimes a three.

Bibby has never been a great defender. Just fair. He's not as bad as some would have

you believe. He's never been extremely quick, at least not while he's been a Hawk. And,

most PGs are quick, thus making his defensive job doubly tough.

He has hopes of becoming a coach. That would mean he needs a pretty good basketball

I.Q.

:stirthepot:

• Admin

At the time, there was no one. Bibby was still a good shooter and still able to play (at least on the offensive side of the floor). The one plus was that Bibby was willing to train Teague and move out of his way. Like it or not, Teague is the future with Bibby being a PG off the bench. I think that's just something we have to look at and swallow hard unless we can find a trade for him.

if Teague proves he can play I will be happy with Bibby off the bench. His shot is still there and he has real basketball smarts. He just has no ability to play d.