• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Looking at stats from last night

evilinkblot

Really liked last night, thought the offense played well even though they don't have the offense fully mastered yet. Really liked Marvin's stat line, best +/- of the starters in 31 minutes, only missed one shot, a 3. He was aggressive, and I think this offense will help him a lot.

Did Al and Zaza play together? They combined for 48 minutes but don't think so. Zaza took over immediately, so I was fine with Al staying on the bench, and I liked the ten deep rotation. No one played more than 31 minutes (both JJ and Marvin). Even Josh Powell looked capable at points (6 rebounds in 20 minutes).

Hoping for a lot more of what we saw Friday and Saturday........trying not to take too much from the game with the Grizz missing Gasol and Randolph, but I'm encouraged

But please, is there anyone in the world who can make Josh quit the jump shots?

ESPN Box Score....

Really liked last night, thought the offense played well even though they don't have the offense fully mastered yet. Really liked Marvin's stat line, best +/- of the starters in 31 minutes, only missed one shot, a 3. He was aggressive, and I think this offense will help him a lot.

Did Al and Zaza play together? They combined for 48 minutes but don't think so. Zaza took over immediately, so I was fine with Al staying on the bench, and I liked the ten deep rotation. No one played more than 31 minutes (both JJ and Marvin). Even Josh Powell looked capable at points (6 rebounds in 20 minutes).

Hoping for a lot more of what we saw Friday and Saturday........trying not to take too much from the game with the Grizz missing Gasol and Randolph, but I'm encouraged

ESPN Box Score....

Yes, also notice how evenly spread the scoring was. Really, everyone was getting touches and involved. Except Al, he just didn't play that much, mostly because Za was beastin'. Powell is pretty well suited for what we are doing - he moves well, can hit jumpers, seems to be able to pass the ball a little. When we signed him, I'm not sure anyone thought he would get this much burn. We're playing 10 deep before you even mention Jordan Crawford or the other bigs (Collins and Thomas).

ESPN Box Score....

Try to remember that if Josh won't shoot the 15 footer, people back up on him and he can't drive to the basket and draw fouls. Not allowing him to shoot anything outside of 5 feet limits the floor spacing for everyone. He only took 10 shots total. 9 were jump shots, 8 were outside 10 feet. He made 4, missed 5. 2 were with less than 5 seconds on the clock. He shot 44% on Jumpers and was 1 for 1 from 3. When you consider JJ was 6 of 16 and horford was 1-5, Josh did nothing wrong. 44% on Jumpers with 9 points scored in 9 jump shot attempts is just fine.

Al and Zaza didn't play together significantly. Al got in early foul trouble and Zaza beasted so LD left him in. LD used last night to get the subs significant burn to work on their offense. The subs were much sloppier than the starters but they played vicious. Multiple bodies hit the floor...hard glass crashing and intimidating. On one play, Thebott went up for an extension dunk and Zaza went up strong to contest. He got enough to push the dunk to the backboard for the block. He could have easily backed off so as to not risk the foul but he contested strong. That's the best way I can describe the bench last night. They competed strong but not pretty.

I'll take the hard work.

My gf goes with me to most of the games and dreads the Smoove jumper. I did tell her that he does need to shoot them once in a while, or no one will buy an upfake, but...........

josh+smith+10.27.jpg

Not the prettiest thing you'll ever see.

I did like that LD kept riding Zaza, most games I'm sure Al would've rotated back in earlier but there was no need. I wouldn't have minded Al playing PF at that point and let them Beast The Boards together

• Like 1

... LD used last night to get the subs significant burn to work on their offense. The subs were much sloppier than the starters but they played vicious. Multiple bodies hit the floor...hard glass crashing and intimidating. On one play, Thebott went up for an extension dunk and Zaza went up strong to contest. He got enough to push the dunk to the backboard for the block. He could have easily backed off so as to not risk the foul but he contested strong. That's the best way I can describe the bench last night. They competed strong but not pretty.

Completely agree. The 2nd unit's mantra should be:

• I will give up no uncontested layups
  • My man will not get an offensive rebound
  • I go at full speed for the entire time I'm on the court

Those three things will produce good results most nights.

That game was a lot of fun to watch last night. I really like the way the first unit played together. The motion was great to watch. I really couldn't predict where the ball was going in the first part of the game.

Completely agree. The 2nd unit's mantra should be:

• I will give up no uncontested layups
  • My man will not get an offensive rebound
  • I go at full speed for the entire time I'm on the court

Those three things will produce good results most nights.

Bill Simmons has the idea that teams should have a 2nd unit that comes in, later rotation guys, and they just press to disrupt an offense. I've always loved that idea, could have a "flying around like we're batshit crazy" rotation led by Teague, JC2 and Zaza..........

Bill Simmons has the idea that teams should have a 2nd unit that comes in, later rotation guys, and they just press to disrupt an offense. I've always loved that idea, could have a "flying around like we're batshit crazy" rotation led by Teague, JC2 and Zaza..........

In other words play Nolan Richardson ball for 5 minute stretches? Probably would work.

That's the idea.......I'd even try to bring him in to coach it up on a weekend or something if that was possible/allowed. And lets not forget, JJ played under Richardson

Yup. Would be fun to see if it would work in the NBA. My only fear is that there are some really good PGs in the NBA. Good PG can make a press look silly and lead to quick points.

• Moderators

I'll take the hard work.

My gf goes with me to most of the games and dreads the Smoove jumper. I did tell her that he does need to shoot them once in a while, or no one will buy an upfake, but...........

josh+smith+10.27.jpg

Not the prettiest thing you'll ever see.

I did like that LD kept riding Zaza, most games I'm sure Al would've rotated back in earlier but there was no need. I wouldn't have minded Al playing PF at that point and let them Beast The Boards together

I don't get the idea that he has to shoot the jumpers so that defenders will come out and defend him on the perimeter. If I was a defender and he was near the 3pt line and shot one, I would never come out to defend him the next time. I would just say "thank you sir...may I have another?" Anyone who sees Josh shooting long jumpers and decides that is something they want to stop him from doing just hasn't done their homework.