• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

We cant beat good teams

BudBall

Freee throws:

Powell 2-2

Pachulia 2-2

All the other Hawks 7-17

When you leave 10 points on the free throw line, can you really expect to win?

Is it the pressure? They can't handle it when they toe the line?

Powell & Pachulia = 100% All the rest of the Hawks = 41%.

Pathetic.

And, in the end of the 4th quarter, when the game was on the line, no one could do anything.

What is the problem? Something is wrong. We don't know right now what it is or we could

fix it. When there is a problem and no one knows what it is, it's hard to try to fix it.

Teams that can't hit their free throws lose a lot of games.

:saythat:

Edited by Gray Mule
  • Like 1

I'll tell you what the problem is.

The obvious ones have been discussed time and time again...

BUT.... Now the team is playing a way that they don't really want to play. The offense they currently play in is "less aggressive" then their all out one on one play. The only ones in the lineup that has played in a methodical offense in the NBA is Mike Bibby and Joe..... But the Suns were really an uptempo team when JJ was there. That's why they keep reverting to one on one play when things get tough. Mike Bibby can't do the things he did in Sac Town... Marvin is not so aggressive and Josh/Crawford are junk ball players. Al has adjusted.... But I'm afraid these players are never going to fully compliment each other in this type of system.

Bibby is showing almost no PG skills at this point. When he first got here, he fed the ball to Josh and ASL. Now, Bibby walks it up the floor and is no longer a play maker. At this point, he is no better than Tyronne Lue.

The problem is this team has capped it's self out with contracts that most teams aren't going to want now. Nobody wants Bibby or Marvin right now....JJ's contract is too big, and Josh is a question mark as far as getting equal value in return goes. Al might be the only guy that is tradeable right now.... But he is the one adjusting to the offense the best, and moving him makes the least sense. Everyone should have saw this 2 years ago. So, this team backed it's own self into a corner. Either the GM really pulls something out his *ss or this team will have to wait until Bibbs becomes a FA. Truthfully, I'm not sure how much JC would be worth in a trade. Remember, it only took hot garbage to acquire him. I'm not convinced JC can bring anything in return that will help the team anymore than what he helps the team right now.

• Like 1

I'll tell you what the problem is.

The obvious ones have been discussed time and time again...

BUT.... Now the team is playing a way that they don't really want to play. The offense they currently play in is "less aggressive" then their all out one on one play. The only ones in the lineup that has played in a methodical offense in the NBA is Mike Bibby and Joe..... But the Suns were really an uptempo team when JJ was there. That's why they keep reverting to one on one play when things get tough. Mike Bibby can't do the things he did in Sac Town... Marvin is not so aggressive and Josh/Crawford are junk ball players. Al has adjusted.... But I'm afraid these players are never going to fully compliment each other in this type of system.

Bibby is showing almost no PG skills at this point. When he first got here, he fed the ball to Josh and ASL. Now, Bibby walks it up the floor and is no longer a play maker. At this point, he is no better than Tyronne Lue.

The problem is this team has capped it's self out with contracts that most teams aren't going to want now. Nobody wants Bibby or Marvin right now....JJ's contract is too big, and Josh is a question mark as far as getting equal value in return goes. Al might be the only guy that is tradeable right now.... But he is the one adjusting to the offense the best, and moving him makes the least sense. Everyone should have saw this 2 years ago. So, this team backed it's own self into a corner. Either the GM really pulls something out his *ss or this team will have to wait until Bibbs becomes a FA. Truthfully, I'm not sure how much JC would be worth in a trade. Remember, it only took hot garbage to acquire him. I'm not convinced JC can bring anything in return that will help the team anymore than what he helps the team right now.

Damn, I miss you in the chat. When does your probation on the chatroom end?

Josh will get equal or better value the sooner we trade him. Crawford is losing value by the day. Horford is great but he's untouchable. Joe might be overpaid but I rather have him then be without him. I think Sund is marketing for a major trade. I still hoping we can do a major trade. My sources didn't come through but a lot of teams pulled out and stuff. It was crazy but we will see.

Damn, I miss you in the chat. When does your probation on the chatroom end?

Josh will get equal or better value the sooner we trade him. Crawford is losing value by the day. Horford is great but he's untouchable. Joe might be overpaid but I rather have him then be without him. I think Sund is marketing for a major trade. I still hoping we can do a major trade. My sources didn't come through but a lot of teams pulled out and stuff. It was crazy but we will see.

I simply haven't went in there anymore... Just not interested enough right now.

It's tough to trade Josh. If we had Steve Nash it would work. No matter what offense you run, if you have Al and Josh Smith you still have to look for lobs for dunks and plays down the court after rebounds. Bibby was still a decent passer when he got here, but now he sucks. As far as Josh goes... No matter what he does on the court, he will still probably have that "possible headcase" label and that will make some difference at least.

Moreover, it's only a matter of time before the Hawks athletic advantage is no longer a big advantage. As it is, I think this team has a short lifespan at this point.

Edited by Hotlanta1981

The team has plateaued until we can bring in a point guard who can run the show. Also we need a center of course, which is hard to come by. I still wouldn't mind having Dampier. They always say the Center position and point guard positions are most important, and we are lacking at both. I love Al Horford, but he'd be better at PF.

The team has plateaued until we can bring in a point guard who can run the show. Also we need a center of course, which is hard to come by. I still wouldn't mind having Dampier. They always say the Center position and point guard positions are most important, and we are lacking at both. I love Al Horford, but he'd be better at PF.

That's another thing....... Actually 2 things

1.I think the empty seats has deflated this team almost completely.

2.The players know that ownership didn't improve the team in the offseason and they know they have no shot of going deep in the playoffs.

• Premium Member

2.The players know that ownership didn't improve the team in the offseason and they know they have no shot of going deep in the playoffs.

The empty seats are killing us. I mean it is totally visible and tangible. The fans aren't excited about the team, the players aren't excited about the team.... To me that is obviously the biggest problem. We've played with more energy on the road. At least playing on the road you can feed off of the other teams energy, but when we play at home Phillips arena is a freaking tomb and there is no doubt that it is affecting the players.

Edited by Atlantaholic

The empty seats are killing us. I mean it is totally visible and tangible. The fans aren't excited about the team, the players aren't excited about the team.... To me that is obviously the biggest problem. We've played with more energy on the road. At least playing on the road you can feed off of the other teams energy, but when we play at home Phillips arena is a freaking tomb and there is no doubt that it is affecting the players.

I missed the game until the 3rd quarter. I noticed the seats were empty, but I figured people were just out and about. Did they sell out or was it really that empty? All the past ESPN games have drawn a lot of attention.

Good point. Our home court advantage of last year seems non-existent this year, and I'm sure we are partially to blame as fans, but also the people pricing the tickets and setting up the game times. Some people have a hard time driving through traffic to make it to a 7pm game right after work. Others I guess like the games early to go home early. Who do you please. I think lowering the price of the tickets would help the team, even if it is just lowering them against non playoff teams or boring teams (unlike Lakers, Heat, Boston, etc.)

• Premium Member

I would say that all that other stuff written in this thread is not the problem.

I think we have 2 simple problems.

1. Our players have to totally buy in to what LD is selling. I think for the most part, they are, but I think that when placed under pressure, we go back to being an undisciplined iso loving team. Even though it ultimately failed, I really like the screen and roll for the last possession. It worked better than Iso Joe. Horf just didnt convert at the line.

2. Same problem we have had for a few years now... Front court match ups. Josh and Horf are great individually. However collectively, neither has improved their offensive game enough to overcome the rebounding issues that they bring. Last night, we couldn't get key rebounds. Milsap, Jefferson and Kirlenko out techniqued us. Most nights, we have overwhelming deficits in rebounding, but last night, they just were more disciplined down the stretch. It was like Josh had to go up and power down rebounds in frustration. We don't really box out. Whatcha gonna do?

For the most part, I think as the season goes on, Bibby/Teague will be a good combo. Bibby brings a lot of experience and a good shot. Teague is learning. Teague brings good defense and he does OK running the team.

Now as far trades. I would hate to trade Crawford... However, if we did go Center shopping, our target could be Brenden Heywood. He just signed a 5 year deal and Dallas has Tyson Chandler on the floor being a MAN. We could possibly get Butler's ending contract in the deal.

Jamal/Marvin for Butler/Heywood. It allows Dallas to get Marion up off the bench. He makes big noise when he starts. Marvin could back up both foward spots. Crawford's + Terry/Kidd = Well used.

I'll pile on too. If I have got it right, the best team we have beat is 4-4 (Cleveland). We lost to Phoenix (4-4). So this is a 500 team, at best. I'm afraid the team may have overachieved the past few years. (Blame Woody - he fooled us into thinking that this team was better than it was. :snowballfight: )

I would say that all that other stuff written in this thread is not the problem.

I think we have 2 simple problems.

1. Our players have to totally buy in to what LD is selling. I think for the most part, they are, but I think that when placed under pressure, we go back to being an undisciplined iso loving team. Even though it ultimately failed, I really like the screen and roll for the last possession. It worked better than Iso Joe. Horf just didnt convert at the line.

Nobody is denying that the players are trying, but it' not natural to them and that's why they revert back. I noticed that I worded it wrong though.

2. Same problem we have had for a few years now... Front court match ups. Josh and Horf are great individually. However collectively, neither has improved their offensive game enough to overcome the rebounding issues that they bring. Last night, we couldn't get key rebounds. Milsap, Jefferson and Kirlenko out techniqued us. Most nights, we have overwhelming deficits in rebounding, but last night, they just were more disciplined down the stretch. It was like Josh had to go up and power down rebounds in frustration. We don't really box out. Whatcha gonna do?

The stats say Horf is a very good rebounder, but when you watch the games you realize his presence on the board isn't all that impressive.

• Premium Member

Nobody is denying that the players are trying, but it' not natural to them and that's why they revert back. I noticed that I worded it wrong though.

The stats say Horf is a very good rebounder, but when you watch the games you realize his presence on the board isn't all that impressive.

I believe we agree. Horf is a great rebounder until it matters. Same with Smoove. Look good on paper, but when it matters, we can't do the things we need to do right. I have said for a few years now, we need a real Big Man's coach in here. Clifford Ray. We need somebody who will challenge Smoove and Horf to get tougher and to work harder on the little big things. Right now, we 're still showing softness. I just got the feeling that Smoove and his lack of BBIQ is really what makes or breaks us. When Smoove is on, we're good, when he's off, we suck. We blame Bibby, Marvin, and the rest but the truth is that our winning and losing doesn't have much to do with those guys. Last night, had we hit free throws ,we would have won that game going away. We shot a good percent and we held them to a low percent for most of the game, but we didn't rebound well when we needed to and we didn't hit our free throws. I have a lot of respect for Utah, they are road warriors this year. However, we had them beat.

I think that LD has to end the bleeding and we have to have more confidence in our systems. I would like to see us be tougher.

A lot of people on this board begged this front office to upgrade the bench, and they flat out failed to do so.

Acquiring Shaq, no matter how over the hill and injury prone people think he is, would've been a far better pickup for the Hawks, than Powell, Collins, and Etan combined. And he still rebounds the ball too, which is probably his best attribute as a player these days.

The good news is that there is plenty of time to get things right. And with both the Magic and the Heat playing less than stellar ball these days, we haven't lost any ground.

But this team has issues, major issues, that they need to get right.

I see people are starting to hedge on Teague. Remember folks, Dejuan Blair was available when we drafted Teague. Had he'd been the backup PF on this team, we're not having a discussion about the lack of rebounding from the Hawks.

Sund has simply failed to get the right type of personnel here to compliment our starters.

• Premium Member

BINGO......we have a winner.

All of the Drew nuthuggers bought into the fact we did not have to do anything after hiring Drew, he is the saviour and that will cure all ills cause Woody was so bad, lol. Well Drew is doing a decent job but we needed a PG and a big Man. Ownership and Sund once again did nothing. BTW: Drew is not the defensive coach Woody was!