• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

“We did everything we could to give Al help on Lopez,” L.D. said.

GameTime

It is obvious to everyone (except maybe Rick Sund) that Horf at Center is not gonna cut it. And since Josh Smith is shooting better than Joe Johnson as of late he could work at SF. What we need is a defender at PG (So Joe doesn't have to guard PG's) and a low post defender at C (Chandler, Biedrins, Dalambert, Gortat, Thabeet, heck a Kurt Thomas) Sund needs to make this happen if we are to compete in the near future.

It is obvious to everyone (except maybe Rick Sund) that Horf at Center is not gonna cut it. And since Josh Smith is shooting better than Joe Johnson as of late he could work at SF. What we need is a defender at PG (So Joe doesn't have to guard PG's) and a low post defender at C (Chandler, Biedrins, Dalambert, Gortat, Thabeet, heck a Kurt Thomas) Sund needs to make this happen if we are to compete in the near future.

Smith at SF might work. Thabeet is so trash.

Agreed! I think Al Horford is a GREAT Player but personally I think he should be playing the PF position and the Hawks should somehow get a True Center to play the Center position. Maybe, it is just my imagination but everytime I look at the stats of one of the Hawks games (like last night!) they are outrebounded by a huge number. And, I have a hard time believing that the Hawks have tried too hard to obtain a Center since other teams seem to have traded for some in the past few years. Get the Hawks a Center to help Horford underneath and a true PG and I think the Hawks will be a definite contender.

HS doesn't know positioning if ppl on this forum think Smith is a SF. Horford is much more a center than Smoove is a SF and Horford is a PF.

The problem with Smoove is as badly as he may think he is a SF, he can't defend the opposing team's SF in this league. If he could, we would have KEPT him there at SF when we drafted him.

Thing is TT - it's not really a problem with Smoove at all. The problem is with our drafting and team assembly. You want to have a 6-8 leaper at PF...fine...you need a 7 footer who can compete at Center and an athletic 6-7/6-9 SF who can be multi-dimensional and not stand in a corner.

You want to put Smoove at SF - you can do that too (like Rodman)...but you need very athletic guards (like Detroit had) to help on the perimeter. You can't ask one guy to be the shot blocker AND the perimeter defender. Smoove covers for other guys with his blocking abilities off the ball - if he's at the three he needs to be helped out on the perimeter (like with a really quick jazzy PG).

If the organization can't see this or won't do this - we may as well trade Smoove and let another team do it (in the Western Conference of course).

P.S. - when we drafted Smoove we drafted a 6-8 basketball athlete - he was like a young Giraffe.

Edited by DJlaysitup
  • Like 2

Thing is TT - it's not really a problem with Smoove at all. The problem is with our drafting and team assembly. You want to have a 6-8 leaper at PF...fine...you need a 7 footer who can compete at Center and an athletic 6-7/6-9 SF who can be multi-dimensional and not stand in a corner.

You want to put Smoove at SF - you can do that too (like Rodman)...but you need very athletic guards (like Detroit had) to help on the perimeter. You can't ask one guy to be the shot blocker AND the perimeter defender. Smoove covers for other guys with his blocking abilities off the ball - if he's at the three he needs to be helped out on the perimeter (like with a really quick jazzy PG).

If the organization can't see this or won't do this - we may as well trade Smoove and let another team do it (in the Western Conference of course).

P.S. - when we drafted Smoove we drafted a 6-8 basketball athlete - he was like a young Giraffe.

We have another player that needs help on the perimeter at all times in Bibby and sometimes two in Bibby and Crawford. Even with help Smith doesn't play smart at SF nor is he effective. I rather play Horford at SF than Smith and I rather never see him play SF (Al).

We have another player that needs help on the perimeter at all times in Bibby and sometimes two in Bibby and Crawford. Even with help Smith doesn't play smart at SF nor is he effective. I rather play Horford at SF than Smith and I rather never see him play SF (Al).

Well you may have a point supe...but you are missing my point. Smoove doesn't fit into the perfect 7 foot C, 6-10 PF, 6-8 SF approach. He plays huge at 6-8 but isn't built to be a PF - especially with a team that has another PF playing center.

Edited by DJlaysitup

Well you may have a point supe...but you are missing my point. Smoove doesn't fit into the perfect 7 foot C, 6-10 PF, 6-8 SF approach. He plays huge at 6-8 but isn't built to be a PF - especially with a team that has another PF playing center.

I agree with your second point with him not being able to reach his potential next to another PF but to me he is average size for a PF, he just plays soft. He needs to play next to a true good low post scoring center like Marc Gasol who also is tough or Yao who is extremely skilled.

The team built impressive leads when they had to start Josh at SF during the 1st quarter, in other words a solid start to games. JS has troubles on the perimeter but the rebounding and overall defense was much crisper when they had that line up.

Keep in mind this is with starting players Collins at C and Bibby at PG. quite possibly the worst line up you could put together in this league.

We definitely have a problem with smoove at pf. I say it like this, in his mind he believes he is a SG. Seriously. I think he goes to great lengths to prove it. A trade may be in order.

You may be correct there D. Not that I want to see it happen but if we can't work around Smoove's tweener thingys we maybe should just trade him for a center. Send him to a team with some sense (Western Conference)...trade him for Bynum...LA can pick up another B/U center for pocket change anyways. That would give us a solid center, Horford at PF, Marvin, JJ and the Bibbster at PG.

It would also give LA a solid chance at 5 NBA Championships in a row. :kickcan:

A front line of Bynum and Hordord would be salty indeed but I can't see LAL wanting to deal with Smoove's antics. Then again, they have gotten it from Artest so who knows. I don't Horford is much of a Center at all. Especially from a defensive standpoint. I really think Al could be one of the top 5 PFs in the game if he were. Playing PF alongside a solid defensive minded Center like he was with Noah at UF. The combination of Noah and Horford is what made that team unbeatable. Maybe they take a chance on Oden at season's end? He has the tools to be a great NBA Center but needs to stay healthy. A healthy Oden would terrorize the Center's of the Eastereen Conference.

Just adding my 2 cents here. Half of the problem of Josh at the 3 is a lack of a defensive presence beyond him. Josh can't play up on SF's because if you the get by him, there is no one behind him to contest. Al typically has his hands full with the opposing center.

A true defensive center, Al at the 4 and Josh at the 3 gives ATL a team most can't handle size wise but move them up a slot and they are very small.

The real issue right now is at the point. Defensively we can't stop anyone. In my opinion, I'm starting to agree with Diesel on the solution (although not the problem). Marvin and Crawford could net us a big and a big defensive SG. I would trade Crawford and Marvin and start Joe at the point. Just my opinion but I don't want Joe taking the Game Winning shot against the other teams 3's. But I do want Joe taking that shot over the other team's 1.

Defensively, I would go long since big isn't an option.