• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

What does it take to win a championship?

Diesel

29 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Premium Member

That's a mighty good point. Your best player has to be a star.

I'm sold. However, the opposite is that there are a whole lot of teams with Stars who never win. Why couldn't Barkley ever win? Why didn't Ewing ever win? Why didn't Malone and Stockton (both Iron men) ever win? Why didn't TMac ever win? What about Iverson? What about Melo or James?

Well...there are a lot of reasons for that, and you know what they are. But I'm going to counter with a smokebomb and disappear back into the shadows:

I sure as sh!t would enjoy having any one of those "loser" teams right now or back then!

/poof!

I hear you!

But we're fairly close... and we need our ownership and management to realize that and make some decisions!

I'm the first person in the world who will tell you that money can't buy everything... and I'll even oppose that kind of strategy, a-la Gordon Geko's Miami Heat... but we're at that stage when we have to make choices... hopefully for the better!

• Premium Member

Who was around Stockton and Malone.

At various times, they had different people.

Hornacek.

Eaton

Blue Edwards

Not Big country but the other guy from kansas.

The original AK.

then AK47

Jeff Malone

Ostertag

Harpring

Bryon not Byron

I guess the point is that they never had a guy who could go onto another team and be a star.. But their system (pick and roll) was always run to perfection with at least 3 outs. They would win high 50s to 60s. At any time, they could dominate the league's best. The best PG in the game and one of the best Bigs in the game... but could not win? It's puzzling?

Actually, the Bulls were the least balanced of championship teams:

Who was the PG? Where does he rank amoungst Championship PGs.

Who was the Dominant Bigs C and PF?

The Bulls did exactly what I wish that we would do, develop a formula based on needed skillset and forget classical convention.

Well..in their early runs they had Horace Grant and in their later runs they had Rodman. Both of them were great rebounders.

They never had any dominant pg, because I don't think their offense requires one. I might be misinformed and perceiving the Bulls'/Lakers' success as a fact instead of anomalies. However, the Bulls had two of the best perimeter defenders ever and for their laters arguably the best rebounder in NBA history. Their other roleplayers were good shooters to make space for their 2 superstar wingmen.

One could make a case the 1998-1999 Spurs was the least balanced championship team.

• Premium Member

Well..in their early runs they had Horace Grant and in their later runs they had Rodman. Both of them were great rebounders.

They never had any dominant pg, because I don't think their offense requires one. I might be misinformed and perceiving the Bulls'/Lakers' success as a fact instead of anomalies. However, the Bulls had two of the best perimeter defenders ever and for their laters arguably the best rebounder in NBA history. Their other roleplayers were good shooters to make space for their 2 superstar wingmen.

One could make a case the 1998-1999 Spurs was the least balanced championship team.

First about the Spurs.. Whenever you have Robinson, Duncan, A. Johnson and some shooters, you're supposed to win. That team would win now.

Second. Those Bulls did have PG. IN skillset. His name was Pippen. I think you have to have the PG skillset somewhere on the floor. The only exception is this latest Laker team. It has 5 guys who can handle the ball on the floor. Howvever, I don't think they pass much.

• 4 years later...
  • Premium Member

This year has been such a great basketball experience for me.  The humility I've learned has forced me to reevaluate myself and how I look at things.  I've read over a lot of my old thoughts, not just here, but what really irks me is just how much I bought into the very thing that I have always despised the most about the NBA: the marketing of Hero Ball.

It seems like you need "that guy" because that's how Stern shaped his NBA...but you really don't.  Danny Ferry has also shattered my belief in the "lottery rebuild" and has validated the viability of the "Detroit Model."  Regardless of how far we go this year, I'll never be able to look at the NBA the same way again.  

That being said...

I think the "star player" still applies to some degree.  Honestly, there have been moments in these first two rounds that a elite scorer would have made all the difference.  When the motion stopped, or the defense broke down, or BKN/WAS pulled something out of their ass - it would have been nice to have a guy that can make something happen.  Not that I'd want to lean on it, but it'd be nice to have and would complete this team.

As it were, it still takes a combination of everything I was saying 4 years ago.  You need a good coach, good offense and defense, and you need someone that can hit big shots.  This team does the latter by committee...which means for us to win, all the parts in the machine have to move efficiently.

I think we've seen the results of our guys playing Hero Ball during stretches.

Edited by Wretch
  • Like 1

Wow, that was 4 years ago. All that dribble I wrote, with no proper indentation for paragraphs.

But basically still the same: hellish D. I have long stopped caring about the offense of this team. They're at their peak when and only when they're forcing 24 second violations. That means everything on defense is in sync and with maximum effort. Unfortunately that doesn't happen much lately without the Swiss Drunkard fighting Pigs over here.

• Like 1

It takes a lot of will, character, commitment, dedication, and heart. You have to play together as a team, not as individuals. You can't do it all by yourself.. you have to rely on your teammates. You have to show that you really want it. Execution, taking care of the ball, defense and competing hard every game are also important.

Edited by Spursfanpeacemaker

It takes a lot of will, character, commitment, dedication, and heart. You have to play together as a team, not as individuals. You can't do it all by yourself.. you have to rely on your teammates. You have to show that you really want it. Execution, taking care of the ball, defense and competing hard every game are also important.

3 Hall of Fame players doesn't hurt either.