• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Will someone explain to me the big deal about Melo

capstone21

• Admin

He is an excellent scorer but its not like he will dramatically make your team better. He is not a player like 'Bron or Wade that will transform your team with his presense.

He doesn't really do much more then score. An average defender, a good rebounder but what else?

I don't consider him a franchise player so why is NJ willing to mortgage their future to have him on their team? 5 draft picks and your current number two pick? Really?

I might be wrong but I think you're really downplaying his offensive ability. He's one of the few players in the league that can score the basketball in any way you can score the basketball. As a matter of fact, the only player I think that's on his level as far as versatility is Kobe Bryant. He's also the best rebounder at his position. If you combine that with the fact that's he not a defensive liability, you've got a pretty impressive player. Furthermore, I don't think Dwayne Wade or even LeBron really transformed their teams with their presence alone. Neither has won anything of significance by themselves, except for LeBron. However, LeBron trip to the Finals is tainted (in my opinion) because the East was the laughingstock of the league at the team. Kobe Bryant hasn't even transformed his team with his presence alone, because basketball is a team game. In my opinion, Carmelo is the best SF not named LeBron James. He's someone who has consistently made All-NBA Teams for like the past 4 years, and is an established superstar. NJ needs a goto scorer, not an athletic project big. They need a face for the franchise. You combine him with a solid PG and an All Star C, then you have a team that can be making title runs in the East in the coming years. This deal makes absolute perfect sense for the Nets.

I might be wrong but I think you're really downplaying his offensive ability. He's one of the few players in the league that can score the basketball in any way you can score the basketball. As a matter of fact, the only player I think that's on his level as far as versatility is Kobe Bryant. He's also the best rebounder at his position. If you combine that with the fact that's he not a defensive liability, you've got a pretty impressive player. Furthermore, I don't think Dwayne Wade or even LeBron really transformed their teams with their presence alone. Neither has won anything of significance by themselves, except for LeBron. However, LeBron trip to the Finals is tainted (in my opinion) because the East was the laughingstock of the league at the team. Kobe Bryant hasn't even transformed his team with his presence alone, because basketball is a team game. In my opinion, Carmelo is the best SF not named LeBron James. He's someone who has consistently made All-NBA Teams for like the past 4 years, and is an established superstar. NJ needs a goto scorer, not an athletic project big. They need a face for the franchise. You combine him with a solid PG and an All Star C, then you have a team that can be making title runs in the East in the coming years. This deal makes absolute perfect sense for the Nets.

With a starting five of:

Billups

Rip

Melo

Humphries

Lopez

And Sasha, Farmar, Outlaw, Shelden and James on the bench. That's a playoff team. Detroit will waive Petro and he would be back to Jersey. That five is as good as ours.

• Moderators

With a starting five of:

Billups

Rip

Melo

Humphries

Lopez

And Sasha, Farmar, Outlaw, Shelden and James on the bench. That's a playoff team. Detroit will waive Petro and he would be back to Jersey. That five is as good as ours.

That's the point. I agree totally about Melo. I'm not a big fan but this takes NJ from nowhere to the playoffs and probably a top see in the east. He's really the only marquee name available unless you think cp3 is available. They won't win a championship but at least they will be in the conversation. This is how to run a business if you have deep pockets. Look for moves to make yourself relevant then make yourself a contender. Its a gamble like anything else.

• Like 1