• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

How big would it be if Nash came to Atlanta?

AHawks89

I know, I know more Steve Nash threads. Nothings really going on right now, so I figured I would post this: Link.

Marvin & Mo for Nash? A one-for-one trade with Jamal & Nash? I'd be willing to take any of these trades, especially the Marvin & Mo for Nash. If this does happen, which I'm sure it won't, but if it does.. how big will this be for Atlanta? He would bring in a lot of fans and help us past that 2nd round.

And what pisses me off is.. in the video he says the Hawks can't compete with the "BIG 4" in playoffs, which includes Miami, Orlando, Boston, & Chicago? Funny how they are earning respect now... I don't get it, butut whatever. What are your thoughts about this happening? Is it a likely situation or won't happen?

Edited by AHawks89

• Premium Member

The idea that the 'suns need to do right by nash' is just ridiculous. The suns have no obligation to make sure nash goes to a contender.

I agree that its just maddening that the Bulls are considered contenders and the Hawks aren't.

The Big Three sports media markets traditionally were NY, Chicago, and Boston. LA was added to the list in the 60s. Teams from there always get coverage disproportionate to their position in the standings. It's just the way it is.

Edited by niremetal

The suns already have long term contracts to forwards Warrick, CHildress, Frye and Dudley

They are not going to take on another forwards contract. It doesn't make sense.

I agree.

I'm of course on board with the Nash wet dream, but I don't think they do it without the package starting at Jamal Crawford's expiring. Have to gamble that our starters become so good, that the bench can take the hit of a 6th Man of the Year. I think Nash's minutes have started to decrease, so we would still need Bibby to play minutes, as well as become a key player off the bench.

I don't know. Seems like a long shot.

• Premium Member

Nash would make a splash, and would make some media-types sit up and pay more attention.

But the reality is, when you're diagnosing this roster's most dire areas for improvement, overlaying that with the assets/deficits that Nash would bring, I don't know that we get all that much better. A few more highlight clips, sure. But from the PG slot, mainly what we're missing as almost all of us acknowledge is someone who can keep up with Rondo and Jameer. Okay, yes, I also like Nash's savvy, grit, and his fire. That's enough to tempt me... but ultimately not enough to persuade me.

Who instead?

I realize he's not the perfect answer, but he's the best of what's plausible... Devin Harris. No, he's not a stopper defensively, but he's at least somewhat capable, and right now (or with Nash) we don't even have that... and what he doesn't have defensively, he does make up for with his offense. I guess I'm saying the sum total is more valuable than anything else I see that appears to be on the market.

harris is, or has been in the past, a good defensive pg...he'd definitely help our defense

in dallas he was around 105 defensive rating (mookie's career average) but he is closer to 110 in NJ

i think being on a playoff team with jj/marvin/smoove/horford behind him he'll be more like in dallas than nj

Edited by Nicholasp27

• Premium Member

harris is, or has been in the past, a good defensive pg...he'd definitely help our defense

in dallas he was around 105 defensive rating (mookie's career average) but he is closer to 110 in NJ

i think being on a playoff team with jj/marvin/smoove/horford behind him he'll be more like in dallas than nj

The Nets commentators always allude to the fact Devin Harris is not living up to his billing on defense.

I agree.

I'm of course on board with the Nash wet dream, but I don't think they do it without the package starting at Jamal Crawford's expiring. Have to gamble that our starters become so good, that the bench can take the hit of a 6th Man of the Year. I think Nash's minutes have started to decrease, so we would still need Bibby to play minutes, as well as become a key player off the bench.

I don't know. Seems like a long shot.

A long shot - yes...but maybe we need to take a long shot.

Personally, as a fan, I tend to overvalue our "core" sometimes...not realizing that the core is simply a bunch of individual players who have individual values and may or may not be good fits with each other.

While I don't think we usually get a fair shake from the national media - maybe sometimes their assessment is right.

From USAToday power ratings (Hawks rated at #11)

"Nothing really changes with this group and for good reason, this is mostly the same Atlanta team for the past few seasons. The Hawks are playing well but aren't doing anything special. Perhaps it's the just the doldrums the middle of the NBA season brings. They are keeping pace with the Magic, Bulls and Knicks."

Maybe Nash would be a good "kickstart" for a couple years...they alway say...one of the definitions of ignorance is doing the same thing time after time and expecting a different result. :kickcan:

• Moderators

Curious: after all that shook out with the Joe deal... is Bob Sarver and Company even ALLOWED to trade with Atlanta?

I can imagine sending first Joe, then Nash, to Atlanta, of all teams, would contribute to a good deal of fan mutiny in the Valley of the Sun.

I just can't envision them even picking up a ringing phone with '404' on the caller ID, unless we had either a Melo/Wade/LeBron or an unprotected top-3 pick to offer.

~lw3

Curious: after all that shook out with the Joe deal... is Bob Sarver and Company even ALLOWED to trade with Atlanta?

I can imagine sending first Joe, then Nash, to Atlanta, of all teams, would contribute to a good deal of fan mutiny in the Valley of the Sun.

I just can't envision them even picking up a ringing phone with '404' on the caller ID, unless we had either a Melo/Wade/LeBron or an unprotected top-3 pick to offer.

~lw3

I would guess it comes down to who has what you need for PHX. Really, we didn't exactly "take them to the cleaners" with the JJ sign and trade deal....we gave them plenty...it's their fault that they did little with those first round draft picks.

• Like 1

The best thing Nash would do for the Hawks would be that he'd bring much needed, and deserved media attention to the team. He's essentially an upgraded Bibby, which would probably lead to Bibby being moved. But Marvin/Mo for Nash (without a pick?) or even with a pick, is a trade you do all day. I think it would help the team, but it isn't the ultimate solution.

• Premium Member

Any combination of Marvin/filler for Nash would be awesome. As would a deal for Harris IMO. Really, I think a deal to ATL is the only thing that makes sense for Nash. That Dallas scenario is just a slap in the face...just pathetic if Nash gets dealt there for Caron or whatever the hell Dallas would throw at Phoenix. We're not offering a package head and shoulders above that...but geez, I'd hate for them to get him (or for Portland to get Harris).

Like I said multiple times, we have the perfect core to play around Nash. It's a freaking no brainer to take him. Jamal & a 1rst round pick and maybe a 2nd rounder too just to make sure. Move Josh to the bench and there's your 6man. Collins start at the 5 and Al at the 4.