• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Clippers Looking to trade Kaman for a SF

Wurider05

Name of external link

The Clippers are open to dealing center Chris Kaman prior to next month's trade deadline, but they may only do so for a clear upgrade at small forward.

Also, Los Angeles wants that player to have a reasonable contract.

Kaman has been sidelined for all but 10 games this season with a badly sprained left ankle.

Potential trade targets like Philadelphia's Andre Iguodala and Charlotte's Gerald Wallace may be ruled out because of their contracts.

Detroit's Tayshaun Prince has an expiring contract.

Read more: http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/71162/20110115/clippers_would_trade_kaman_for_small_forward/#ixzz1B8nZP93d

You think that they would be willing to take Marvin?

• Admin

Marvin is a clear upgrade over Ryan Gomes.

He is a better player then people give him credit for.

That being said...I don't think Kamen is worth 12 million per year with his injury history. He can't stay healthy

Edited by capstone21

• Premium Member

This would interest me as a straight-up deal if we didn't need help at SF more than we needed help at C. That said, Kaman is clearly better from an asset perspective. I just wouldn't want Kaman-for-Marvin to be the only deal we made.

Edited by niremetal

• Premium Member

He is making too much money for an injury prone player for me to want him on our team.

Which one? Marvin or Kaman?

I've been a fan of getting Kaman here for years but I agree, he's went from being relatively healthy to now having injury issues.

Kaman is overrated and injury prone and doesn't fit our system...the guy is big but he isn't at all athletic and would slow us up in every aspect. I'd rather keep Marvin. Don't make a trade just to make a trade. We should get a real center but not take anybody just because they are available.

• Premium Member

Even when healthy Kaman really isn't all that good. He's not worth 10 million. Marvin at 7 million is better than Kaman at 10 million. Best case scenario for Marvin is we trade him for some expiring contract so that we can try to keep Crawford next year.

Er, no. When healthy Kaman is one of the best centers in the NBA. He can score in the post, he rebounds wel and he's a shot blocker. The only problem he has is staying healthy which IMO is a deal breaker.

• Premium Member

Er, no. When healthy Kaman is one of the best centers in the NBA. He can score in the post, he rebounds wel and he's a shot blocker. The only problem he has is staying healthy which IMO is a deal breaker.

He also ranks almost dead last in his team in offensive win shares and offensive rating.... and isn't much better in defensive win shares. The best season in his career the guy put up .4 offensive win shares which ranked near the bottom in his entire team (Dan Dickau had more offensive win shares than him that season) And we are talking about his best year here. last season he was healthy and the guy put up an unheard of 0.0 win shares. From a starting center this is pretty remarkable. The guy puts up DECENT numbers (14 ppg 10 rpg per 36 mins on 48% shooting) on a last place team. I've seen the guy play probably at least 20 times and he always sucks. Only reason the guy puts up numbers is because the clips have absolutely no one else to get rebounds (the year they had Camby he averaged 9.7 rebounds per 36 mins) and gets force fed the ball all game long on offense. The guy couldn't coexist with Blake Griffin because he demands the ball all game long to be effective. In fact Griffin was also substantially less effective until Kaman finally went down and the Clips have played much, much better since his injury, no coincidence the 13 win clips are looking to get rid of him: Since Kaman has been injured they are actually a respectable 12 - 16.

• Like 1

The clippers scouts probably don't value marvin very highly and that's what counts. I mean some here wants to trade josh for kaman but MW is not good enough value for a true big. Kamans contract does expire during the 2012 sweepstakes. The draft is deep in SF and of course free agency is where you can find a reasonable replacement for MW.

• Premium Member

He also ranks almost dead last in his team in offensive win shares and offensive rating.... and isn't much better in defensive win shares. The best season in his career the guy put up .4 offensive win shares which ranked near the bottom in his entire team (Dan Dickau had more offensive win shares than him that season) And we are talking about his best year here. last season he was healthy and the guy put up an unheard of 0.0 win shares. From a starting center this is pretty remarkable. The guy puts up DECENT numbers (14 ppg 10 rpg per 36 mins on 48% shooting) on a last place team. I've seen the guy play probably at least 20 times and he always sucks. Only reason the guy puts up numbers is because the clips have absolutely no one else to get rebounds (the year they had Camby he averaged 9.7 rebounds per 36 mins) and gets force fed the ball all game long on offense. The guy couldn't coexist with Blake Griffin because he demands the ball all game long to be effective. In fact Griffin was also substantially less effective until Kaman finally went down and the Clips have played much, much better since his injury, no coincidence the 13 win clips are looking to get rid of him: Since Kaman has been injured they are actually a respectable 12 - 16.

I don't put a shred of credibility into "advanced" metrics like win shares, PER, EFR or whatever else is out there. Kaman passes the eyeball test. The only negative he has is his injury tendencies which seem to be getting worse the older he gets.