• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

What if we want Melo to SnT him in the off-season to NY?

Admin

Let's say that as Crawful mentioned in another thread that we're looking at Melo as a playoff rental and a way to get out of a long term contract. Well what if our thoughts are that we'll shoot for the championship this year and the dream that Melo might re-sign with us but what if our more likely goal is to get some decent players from the Knicks in an off-season SnT deal so that Melo can get his full 6 years from them? Assuming that there is a new CBA we could be looking at Melo signing for a good bit less than the 17 million a year that he's making now so I would be looking for a deal that could get us Felton and Landry Fields in return for Melo or something along those lines.

Does anyone think that could be an option for us?

• Moderators

Let's say that as Crawful mentioned in another thread that we're looking at Melo as a playoff rental and a way to get out of a long term contract. Well what if our thoughts are that we'll shoot for the championship this year and the dream that Melo might re-sign with us but what if our more likely goal is to get some decent players from the Knicks in an off-season SnT deal so that Melo can get his full 6 years from them? Assuming that there is a new CBA we could be looking at Melo signing for a good bit less than the 17 million a year that he's making now so I would be looking for a deal that could get us Felton and Landry Fields in return for Melo or something along those lines.

The risk is that NY low balls us. If we are giving up Smooth, that is too big a risk to do the deal without an extension, IMO. If we are doing a rental, I would not give up our core players and at that point it seems like Houston could easily top any offer we could make.

The risk is that NY low balls us. If we are giving up Smooth, that is too big a risk to do the deal without an extension, IMO. If we are doing a rental, I would not give up our core players and at that point it seems like Houston could easily top any offer we could make.

Yeah I wouldn't trade Smoove for him for a rental so there wouldn't be any risk of the Knicks low balling us and it ending up hurting us long term. The question is what will the new CBA look like in terms of would we have leverage to be able to offer him a 6 year deal when no other team could? If we still have that leverage I have to think that Melo will want it and I'd bet the Knicks would make it happen.

• Moderators

Yeah I wouldn't trade Smoove for him for a rental so there wouldn't be any risk of the Knicks low balling us and it ending up hurting us long term. The question is what will the new CBA look like in terms of would we have leverage to be able to offer him a 6 year deal when no other team could? If we still have that leverage I have to think that Melo will want it and I'd bet the Knicks would make it happen.

Personally, I hope the new CBA has franchise tags to prevent any team and fanbase from getting "Lebroned" again.

Edited by AHF

I think that the sign and trade with NY would be an option but that the team would be more willing to preserve as much cap space as possible after Carmelo bolts. Whatever prospects they offer back simply won't be worth as much as the free agents that would be available out there which would be the reasoning behind letting one of our core go in the first place. Felton would just have to wait till 2012 when Bibby expires to be an option.

Edited by CrawfulToCrawesome

I think that the sign and trade with NY would be an option but that the team would be more willing to preserve as much cap space as possible after Carmelo bolts. Whatever prospects they offer back simply won't be worth as much as the free agents that would be available out there which would be the reasoning behind letting one of our core go in the first place. Felton would just have to wait till 2012 when Bibby expires to be an option.

We're not going to be much under the cap anyway even if we were to let Smoove go even when we include Marvin or Zaza in the deal and even then we'd barely be under the cap next year, assuming that it stays about where it is now.

According to Sham as of right now we have $65.2 million committed for next year. Drop off Josh's $12.5 and another $4.75 for Zaza and we're still at $48 million and that won't do much for us in the way of FA signing ability.

We're not going to be much under the cap anyway even if we were to let Smoove go even when we include Marvin or Zaza in the deal and even then we'd barely be under the cap next year, assuming that it stays about where it is now.

According to Sham as of right now we have $65.2 million committed for next year. Drop off Josh's $12.5 and another $4.75 for Zaza and we're still at $48 million and that won't do much for us in the way of FA signing ability.

Being 10 million below this year's salary cap (58mil, lux tax 70.3 mil) won't help us sign free agents? I'm not sure I'm following you there. If the idea of the next CBA is to also lower player salaries while also making the cap slightly higher so as to not disadvantage the big spenders we'd be looking at close to 20 mil in cap with centers and wings galore out there. How would a team that presumably still has Al and Joe not be able to utilize that?

Being 10 million below this year's salary cap (58mil, lux tax 70.3 mil) won't help us sign free agents? I'm not sure I'm following you there. If the idea of the next CBA is to also lower player salaries while also making the cap slightly higher so as to not disadvantage the big spenders we'd be looking at close to 20 mil in cap with centers and wings galore out there. How would a team that presumably still has Al and Joe not be able to utilize that?

I am not confident that it will still be 58 next year and I didn't mean it won't help us sign any FA's but we're not going to sign anyone equal to Smoove for $10 million or less unless there is a serious reduction in player salaries.

I am not confident that it will still be 58 next year and I didn't mean it won't help us sign any FA's but we're not going to sign anyone equal to Smoove for $10 million or less unless there is a serious reduction in player salaries.

It was supposed to be 52 this year yet magically went up instead despite all of the NBA's agenda projections. The league is making money and the cap will reflect that. It's far more likely to go up than down or even remain the same. Fact of the matter is there are plenty of comparable talents out there in a market with few teams having the space to actually sign them. It'll now be a question of fit, location, personal preference in addition to the money. None of the guys I mentioned before will even have anything close to 10 mil be their 1st year starting salary, probably closer to 7. You are still not noting how far beneath the lux tax we'll be with even more contracts coming off the books in a year. Without a doubt the team will be more flexible if such a deal were to happen while still remaining competitive.

It was supposed to be 52 this year yet magically went up instead despite all of the NBA's agenda projections. The league is making money and the cap will reflect that. It's far more likely to go up than down or even remain the same. Fact of the matter is there are plenty of comparable talents out there in a market with few teams having the space to actually sign them. It'll now be a question of fit, location, personal preference in addition to the money. None of the guys I mentioned before will even have anything close to 10 mil be their 1st year starting salary, probably closer to 7. You are still not noting how far beneath the lux tax we'll be with even more contracts coming off the books in a year. Without a doubt the team will be more flexible if such a deal were to happen while still remaining competitive.

Being below the luxury tax doesn't help us sign FA's though. Being below it is great if we're already over the cap and want to spend the MLE but otherwise that doesn't do much for us. We'll see about your projections but until I see a drastic reductions in salary I'm not going to plan for being able to sign Smoove level talent for less than what we're paying him now.

Being below the luxury tax doesn't help us sign FA's though. Being below it is great if we're already over the cap and want to spend the MLE but otherwise that doesn't do much for us. We'll see about your projections but until I see a drastic reductions in salary I'm not going to plan for being able to sign Smoove level talent for less than what we're paying him now.

We would be below the actual cap, Dol, and miles away from the lux tax.

Trading for Melo without an ext only makes sense if it's Marvin/Jamal. Not for any of our Big 3.

• Like 1

We would be below the actual cap, Dol, and miles away from the lux tax.

I realize that but we could only spend UP TO the cap and not over it so the luxury tax would be meaningless. We also wouldn't have the MLE since we'd begin the offseason under the cap.

I realize that but we could only spend UP TO the cap and not over it so the luxury tax would be meaningless. We also wouldn't have the MLE since we'd begin the offseason under the cap.

So we would have 8 mil to throw at a Nene this offseason and then another 8 the next offseason to throw at a Felton. This sounds worse to you than keeping everyone and signing nobody this year or next because we are hugging the lux tax line? Okay.

• Moderators

So we would have 8 mil to throw at a Nene this offseason and then another 8 the next offseason to throw at a Felton. This sounds worse to you than keeping everyone and signing nobody this year or next because we are hugging the lux tax line? Okay.

With the season Nene is having, you can pencil him down for about $10M/year.

With the season Nene is having, you can pencil him down for about $10M/year.

New CBA :nono:

Besides, I said a Nene. By my count there are plenty of prime productive bigs and wings available next summer and not enough homes for them all to get paid lucratively in addition to a new contract structure. This whole premise was built around the ASG being deathly afraid of the luxury tax while being capped out with a core that nobody wants to see. It's the only logical reason I can see the team having "preliminary" interest in Melo knowing full well that NY is his dream destination. Sell tickets in the short term and have flexibility in the future. Outside of that there's really no reason to consider Carmelo.

• Moderators

New CBA :nono:

Besides, I said a Nene. By my count there are plenty of prime productive bigs and wings available next summer and not enough homes for them all to get paid lucratively in addition to a new contract structure. This whole premise was built around the ASG being deathly afraid of the luxury tax while being capped out with a core that nobody wants to see. It's the only logical reason I can see the team having "preliminary" interest in Melo knowing full well that NY is his dream destination. Sell tickets in the short term and have flexibility in the future. Outside of that there's really no reason to consider Carmelo.

Who was the last center with Nene's talent that didn't sign for 7 figures?