• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Coach Drew uncut, Smith's jumpers, Teague's minutes

coachx

http://blogs.ajc.com/hawks/2011/01/28/atlanta-hawks-larry-drew-uncut-josh-smiths-jumpers-jeff-teagues-minutes/?cxntfid=blogs_hawks&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

MC has been on a tear !

“[Ravin] patched the hole in Smith’s psyche with texts containing affirmations such as ‘You don’t need their approval, so stop looking in their direction.’”

This Raven character needs to be taken behind a wood shead and #%$^&@

Ahhh.......I can't take the anger out on the messenger. Josh is his own man.

Edited by coachx
  • Like 2

I'm not sure what to make of the comments on Smith.

The comments on JT are telling. Teague has to assert himself to keep getting playing time. That Teague hands the ball off when he gets in the game seems to be one of the central problems. The other is that he doesn't harrass the opposing PG enough. So, to sum it up: Teague has to get get more aggressive on both ends of the court.

• Premium Member

great read....Well looks like all of you that wanted Smith scolded will not get your way. Drew has given his bigs the green light to be jump shooters.

On Smith becoming too reliant on jump shots

I am not concerned about that. I know that is–whether people want to admit it or not–that is a strong point of our game is bigs that can pop out. The gray area is when they should do it, particularly Josh Smith. We have discussed it and during the course of a game we acknowledge it.
Edited by NineOhTheRino

• Premium Member

This Raven character needs to be taken behind a wood shead and #%$^&@

Ahhh.......I can't take the anger out on the messenger. Josh is his own man.

No, we can take it out on him. Josh has always struck me as being a weird combination of bratty and impressionable, probably because of the maturity level he had when he came into the league straight out of high school. I think both statements of affirmation and statements of disapproval affect Josh more than they do most other players. So having a guy basically tell him "don't pay attention to your coach or teammates - do whatever you want" is more dangerous with Josh than it would be with someone who is more introspective (JJ), confident (Al), or reserved (Marvin).

I'm not sure what to make of the comments on Smith.

The comments on JT are telling. Teague has to assert himself to keep getting playing time. That Teague hands the ball off when he gets in the game seems to be one of the central problems. The other is that he doesn't harrass the opposing PG enough. So, to sum it up: Teague has to get get more aggressive on both ends of the court.

I noticed or sensed something in the last game vs. the Bucks.

When Drew 1st put Teague in the game to help stop Boykins, the only other guard on the floor was Crawford. Teague turned around and looked as Drew and asked if he or Crawford were running the point........Drew's jaw dropped a bit and his body language said to me: " Kid if you have to ask me then let Jamal run the point........When your ready to do it yourself you won't have to ask." Crawford then pulled Teague over and whispered in his ear to give him a little veteran direction on what they may run.

Until Teague gets through the "deer in a headlight phase" he will never be more aggressive. The kid should be a natural attacker and aggressor with his physical make up but there is something just not right and that something is between his ears. I hope he figures it out.

I noticed or sensed something in the last game vs. the Bucks.

When Drew 1st put Teague in the game to help stop Boykins, the only other guard on the floor was Crawford. Teague turned around and looked as Drew and asked if he or Crawford were running the point........Drew's jaw dropped a bit and his body language said to me: " Kid if you have to ask me then let Jamal run the point........When your ready to do it yourself you won't have to ask." Crawford then pulled Teague over and whispered in his ear to give him a little veteran direction on what they may run.

Until Teague gets through the "deer in a headlight phase" he will never be more aggressive. The kid should be a natural attacker and aggressor with his physical make up but there is something just not right and that something is between his ears. I hope he figures it out.

I just don't get how he could be that way in his second year. The kid has no confidence what so ever, and that is simply a huge problem. He just needs to go out and play. If he's asking if he's running the point, then I really don't know what to say. What other position would he play?

• Premium Member

Can't recall getting more detailed insight from a beat guy.

A+ job for AJC & MC.

Edited by NineOhTheRino

• Moderators

BS!!! Josh Smith has been in the league for 7 years and doesn't know a bad shot from a good one???

That's frustrating sure but how many bad shots does Joe, Jamal, Bibby, Marv take? No one pays much attention to those because every jump shot Josh takes is scrutinized.

• Premium Member

Any coach that lets their bigs never get in the low post or drive to the basket or do anything but settle for horrible shot decisions is insane. There is no other way to put it. The only explanation I have to this is that the real GM of the team, Gearon, told him that Josh is here for life and will do whatever he wants coaches be damned.

• Admin

I think that Drew is just telling stuff that people want to hear. He doesn't want Josh taking jumpers. Early in the season he would bench him for taking too many 3s. I think he has just resigned himself to the fact the JS is going to shoot them whether Drew wants him to or not.