• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

So we have a coach that encourages quiting on your team

hawkeyex

As a Hawks fan I have a major problem with Drew Sr. apparently orchestrating his sons removal from the UNC basketball program. He has apparently taught his son that starting jobs are a birth right and do not have to be earned. What kind of father (and coach) condones his son quitting on his team in mid season and then encourages this cowardly behavior by making the phone call himself (allowing his son the easiest way out)? This is a huge embarassment to the Hawks organization and the coaching fraternity in general. Thoughts?

As a Hawks fan I have a major problem with Drew Sr. apparently orchestrating his sons removal from the UNC basketball program. He has apparently taught his son that starting jobs are a birth right and do not have to be earned. What kind of father (and coach) condones his son quitting on his team in mid season and then encourages this cowardly behavior by making the phone call himself (allowing his son the easiest way out)? This is a huge embarassment to the Hawks organization and the coaching fraternity in general. Thoughts?

My thoughts are that you none of us know what the reason for this is. I don't watch UNC games but from what I read I think he had 9 assists in the past 2 games so I think that would be an odd time to tell your son to quit but who knows maybe he did. I still have a very hard time believing that he told him to quit though.

Welcome to Hawksquawk by the way.

• Like 1

I don't know and to be honest, this thread shouldn't be here. But Larry Drew's son did not fit what UNC does. They put a lot responsibility on the PG to create offense for everyone and Drew is more of a motion or Princeton style offense player. Plus, I don't know Roy W. and Drew's relationship as player/coach.

• Admin

Drew II is not a good pg. UNC did not get into the flow of things until Marshall took the starting job. Drew II played good d but that is it. He did a terrible job of running the offense and the past two seasons the team suffered. He is meant to be a backup and so he couldn't handle losing his starting job. Being a UNC fan I was hoping for him to be taken out of the starting lineup. Actually since he has been coming off the bench he has been playing better like there is less pressure.

I think it is bad advice for his dad to say either say its alright or to suggest to leave your team more then half way through the season.

Welcome to the Squawk! I can tell you are new around here because a veteran squawker always seizes any opportunity to tie in Marvin Williams and his draft status. With the topic involving UNC basketball you missed a golden opportunity there.

Better luck next time -- stay with it and you'll soon find your way.

• Like 3

Welcome to the Squawk! I can tell you are new around here because a veteran squawker always seizes any opportunity to tie in Marvin Williams and his draft status. With the topic involving UNC basketball you missed a golden opportunity there.

He could at least mention that Woody's team had better record, JT needs more playing time and we should trade JSmoove because this team needs a star caliber PG and center.

Ah! I get it now. Roy Williams probably said some nice things about Marvin when he entered the draft and the Hawks listened and took him number 2 overall. This is all part of trying to get even.

This decision has nothing at all to do with the Hawks. Neither you, nor I have any idea what the Drews said around the coffee table in regards to his decision. You and I have no clue to their perspective. Sometimes people leave teams because of personal issues, family issues, maturity issues and most commonly with college athletes because they only get one shot at making it big. You have to take care of you because no one else will. There are only a few slots out there to make it big and if there is any chance you can slide into one, you need to do what you can to make that happen. Its easy to armchair quarterback and call him a quitter but he's been working his whole life for this one shot at riches and glory. His whole life, countless hours in the gym, getting yelled at by coaches, hitting the books to make sure his grades were right. As the father of two kids who played sports nonstop throughout their life and both were upper eschalon but just not quite there, you have no idea how much work there really is. I'll give you a clue. The sport is baseball.

Starting in tball, 2 seasons a year for 3 years. 6 seasons, 72 games, 140ish practices later. Good thing its supposed to be fun at this age. 7-14. Two routes to take here. 2 seasons plus allstars in the summer or travel ball all year and fall ball in the fall (that is assuming you aren't a 2 sporter). If you do the 2 season plus allstars thing...it's 12 games a season plus 4 practice games at the beginning and a few playoff games at the end (we'll call it 4). So 2 20 game seasons a year...2 practices for every 1 game played. Allstars in the summer for 8-15 games with another 15 practices. Each year is about 50 games and 70-90 practices. in 8 years that's 400 games, 600 practices. Now the fun part of this, is that doesn't count all the one on ones with your father in the yard because few kids play high school ball at a school 2000 kids or more unless they had some commitment at home. If you play travel ball, you play for most of 5 to 7 months straight. About 60 games and practice 3 times a week. 4-5 day a week commitment. Then high school. Workouts start in November, 2-3 times a week after school to lift or throw in the gym. Then tryouts at the start of February and 5 day a week practices (6 for Varsity). This goes through November. Either games or practices. When all said and done a season is about 12 weeks 40+ practices and 20 games. Then a month off with only voluntary workouts and then you play the "voluntary" summer schedule. but if you don't play with voluntary high school team in the summer, you won't see the field much the next year. Summer is about 6 tournaments, 3 games + each and another 20 ish practices. So each year of high school ball is about 20 days of lifting/throwing...60+ practices and 40 games. 240 practices in 4 years and 160 games. Now imagine you are that kid who is a freshman in college. To this point, you've put endless hours in with you parents or paid professionals on the side. Played in over 700 games, over 1000 practices. You've not been able to work part time, haven't been able to get a car, or buy cool clothes for prom without begging off of your parents. Your parents have dropped an average 3-5 hundred dollars a year on your baseball for 14 years. You go to a school and find the opportunities you've worked for are getting snuffed by politics. You decide to leave school and attend a smaller school where you can be the man and get more personal recognition and maybe have a better shot. 700 games, 1000 practices, thousands and thousands of dollars later, people start questioning your commitment and calling you a quitter.

Just putting it in perspective. You really have no idea what was said when Larry and his son talked it out.

By the way, I've gone through it twice now (son is a junior in high school). I'm sugar coating it. It's really crazier but I didn't want it to seem ridiculous. Travel ball being the worst. Every weekend spent at tournaments...driving back and forth or dropping money on hotels and eating out. I honestly don't know how much time and money we put in over the years with both boys. I wouldn't trade it for the world but trust me, no one who's made it through to college D1 is really a quitter.

Edited by thecampster
  • Like 1