• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Interesting Hollinger article on Lebron being the MVP this year

Admin

This is an interesting article worth a discussion I think. Should the MVP go to the best player in the league, or at least the player putting up the best #'s, or should it go to which player is most irreplaceable? For me I'd have a hard time voting for either Lebron or DWade because I believe that they each have an easier time putting up stats this year than they did in years past since they get the benefit of playing off of one another. At this point I'd have to give the MVP to Rose since he's got the Bulls playing much better than they were last year and he's done it without Boozer and/or Noah for a good part of the season.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/insider/columns/story?columnist=hollinger_john&page=PERDiem-110208

I usually don't get too involved in award-voting nominations until we're mostly done with the season -- too many things can change before then, and usually do.

This year, however, there's a very unusual situation. As I noted several weeks ago, while observers are putting forth a number of names for consideration, none seem to be doing so with total conviction.

And that's because the 2010-11 MVP race has a really, really, abundantly obvious solution ... but very few actually want to hear it.

Let's be honest for a minute. The best player in the league is LeBron James. It's not even close.

Most of you probably know this using just the eye test, but I'll make the statistical argument for posterity's sake. James is first in the NBA in Player Efficiency Rating (PER), which would be his fourth straight season on top of the charts. He's also first in Estimated Wins Added (EWA) -- again, the fourth straight year he's been first. Additionally, he's the linchpin of a suffocating defense that ranks third in the league in Defensive Efficiency despite lacking an imposing defensive big man.

Moreover, his case for the MVP award is only gaining steam. James in October and November muddled through 18 games in which he was dramatically less effective than usual, a major reason for the Heat's uninspired crawl out of the gate. Since then, however, he's been monstrously good, climbing to his usual perch atop the PER charts and widening his lead considerably with a spectacular 51-point outing against Orlando on Thursday.

With James cruising, the Heat are arguably the league's best team -- despite injuries to James, Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh, they're 28-6 since their scuffling start. Yes, James has star support with Wade and Bosh in tow, but he's also saddled with inferior help. At roster spots 4 through 12, there isn't a weaker cast in basketball outside Ohio.

Historically, that combination of team success and limited help has been a surefire way to get lots of MVP votes. Just ask James, who won it the past two years after his team posted the best regular-season record.

Or imagine it another way ...

If LeBron James and Dwyane Wade were on separate teams, we'd be having a two-way LeBron-Wade MVP debate, and nobody else would be in the discussion. Heck, nobody else would even be near the discussion. Anyone caught trying to slip in a Dirk Nowitzki or a Derrick Rose would be laughed out of the room.

"But they're not," you say, and actually that's part of my point.

Unfortunately, the MVP voting public has developed an awful sickness. Ever since the indefensible 2001 selection of Allen Iverson, the bizarre idea has taken hold that, somehow, the best way to measure a player's MVP worthiness is by estimating how awful the team would be without him.

Because the Heat have both LeBron and Wade, this argument goes, we can't wail and moan about how horrible the team might be in the absence of either one, and thus, by the same convoluted logic, we can't consider either the MVP. But we can freely consider Nowitzki, because his backup is Brian Cardinal.

How absurd. So instead we're subjected to hearing about how bad the Mavs have been in Nowitzki's absence, or how Rose's Bulls managed to play well despite injuries to Carlos Boozer and Joakim Noah, or how Amare Stoudemire brought the magic of .500 basketball back to the Garden.

Here's the thing everyone misses: If you want to play that "they're dead without him" game with anyone other than LeBron, you lose. James' former team has gone from the league's best record with him -- two years running -- to among the worst teams in history without him. Nobody's topping that. If we're intent on playing the Iverson game and are being intellectually honest, we can give James the trophy right now.

Of course, MVP voting has never been awash in intellectual honesty -- or go back to 2006 and give me a better reason that Steve Nash had more votes than Chauncey Billups.

Instead, it's been as much about emotion as reason. I've written about this before, as have others, but the other bad habit we have with MVP votes is "voting for the story." Iverson in 2001, Nash's two MVP awards, Jason Kidd's close second in 2003 -- all those were essentially votes for a great story.

This is a huge, huge problem for James, because his story is wildly unpopular. I can't emphasize this enough: The 2010-11 Miami Heat may be the single least popular team I've ever seen in any sport. Obviously, this stems largely from the way James, Wade and Bosh went about uniting. In fact, you'll probably be able to see that for yourself in the comments section shortly after this column is posted.

Writers, fans, execs, whoever -- nearly all were horrified by The Decision, a fact made most apparent in how the populace reacted to it and relished Miami's 9-8 start. When the Heat stumbled out of the gate, both fans and media types couldn't stop talking about it and many took tremendous pleasure from it. In contrast, since that time, the Heat are 28-4 when James plays -- but only a fraction as many pixels and barrels of ink have been spent on them during this spectacular stretch of the season.

Yes, LeBron's decision to do The Decision seems very unwise, particularly from a PR perspective, and Miami's trio seemed like killjoys by ganging up together. But does that make LeBron James (or Wade, for that matter) any less valuable a basketball player?

It does make it harder for the media and fans to compose the Standard MVP Column. Few are ready or willing to create a grand narrative lauding LeBron. His case is not a great triumph against the odds or a story of hardship overcome. As far as we know, he hasn't saved any drowning puppies or helped any old ladies cross the street.

So if LeBron gets any MVP votes, it won't be because he has the best storyline, or because he has Misguided Iverson Logic going for him either.

(Side note: If you want to get cute and consider LeBron and Wade co-MVPs, forget that too. A league spokesperson confirmed to me that MVP votes can't be split -- every voter has to list one person first and another second.)

In other words, several of the factors that normally have led to a successful MVP campaign aren't there for James. The only factor that's in his favor is that he's the most valuable player in the league.

Fifty games into the season, it's time to get real about the MVP race. LeBron James is head and shoulders above the rest of the league, and we've basically given ourselves carte blanche to ignore that fact just because we didn't like a TV show in July. Of course, if LeBron loses, this wouldn't be the first time the electorate allowed emotion to overpower reason in an award vote. But that doesn't make the injustice any less objectionable.

• Moderators

Lebron is the best player but a dou***. He should get the MVP if he finishes the season as the best player and his team enjoys the kind of success it is currently enjoying. Then I will proceed to root for the Heat to fail in the playoffs - preferably falling to the Hawks.

I understand this article and where Hollinger is coming from but as a BIG LBJ hater I will stand by my beliefs and just cause Im a hater doesnt mean I think the guy is not great cause he is but he is not the best player in the league in my eyes....kobe is. I cant argue the stats cause LBJ's stats are better but I can argue the play and the will of both players. With that said I see Kobe ahead. Then again this article in short words is saying that the MVP is the player that you know if you take him from his team that team will fail, so thats the reason many may think LBJ wont get it this year but I call that B.S. Kobe had 2 or 3 years where he took LA to the playoffs and he didnt even receive a MVP till 08 when his team actually got good. So what Hollinger is saying isnt true they are going to give MVP to who they like....this year it seems like they have much love for Rose so Rose will probably be MVP.

Nothing in the world will make me think LBJ is better than Kobe. Kobe for some reason has so much hater'd and LBJ does too now anyways but I dont see why. Kobe never turned his back on LA, though he has argued but what player dont. Then there were them times when people said Kobe was a ballhog when he didnt have a team what do you expect. LBJ ballhogged during that whole time with CLE but never got called out about it....I guess cause avg. 7 assists!, Kobe avg. 5! 2 is that much of a difference huh.

Then what really gets me about the Kobe vs LBJ vs Dwade best player in the NBA argument with people as far as fans, analyst, etc. Is that LBJ would maybe get 10 more votes than Kobe and Wade would just not be in the competition as far as votes go. So LBJ would win this vote game between the 3 BUT then you ask who would you give the ball to at the end of the game? Kobe is instantly picked, to myself Im asking to the LBJ lover's why not LeBron you say he's that much better than Kobe and since so many people think that Stats matter LBJ should be your pick!

Looking at the NFL just to add this to this long reply! LOL......Big Ben is a top 5 QB in the NFL hands down but he has some of the worst stats as a popular QB. You have phillip rivers who puts up great numbers, drew brees, peyton manning of course as well as tom brady, and now Aaron Rodgers. Point is that all those players I mentioned has better stats but BIG Ben has been to more superbowls than all except Tom and its not cause of that steelers D alone but because BIG Ben is Clutch even after he messes up in the game if he has the ball in the final seconds of a game you know most of the time he will come through. LBJ has better stats, Kobe knows how to win in the playoffs and get to the championships as well as win them and he shows up at clutch time. Who the f**k! no really who the f**k cares about some damn stats. Thats not how a mvp should be judged so in reality MVP in all sports is junk! Peyton Manning and LBJ can win MVP's every year of their career cause of stats but if player like Tom Brady and Kobe Byrant is winning championships and also having impressive stats near the top of the league how dare you call LBJ or even I hate to say it Peyton the best player in the league! MVP use to mean something now its junk!

Edited by JTB

Lebron is clearly a cut above anyone in the league right now. It's really not even close. And I've been a Lebron hater since day 1, but you can't deny his talent.

I have to agree with this. They've been plenty of assholes in the league from Malone to Barkley to KG but you still have to respect what they've done on the court and the impact that they've made on the game. Just watching the Cavs absolutely own the worst losing streak in history gives has to give you a better appreciation for Bron unless you are one those that feel that the loss of Z, Shaq and Delonte is more to blame.

No one was complaining about Lebron's supprting cast until they lost in the playoffs. Lebron was not the only player to leave the Cavs this off-season, Big Z and Shaq also left and Cleveland did not replace any of those players even with 2nd tier type players...that's why they suck so bad.

• Moderators

No one was complaining about Lebron's supprting cast until they lost in the playoffs. Lebron was not the only player to leave the Cavs this off-season, Big Z and Shaq also left and Cleveland did not replace any of those players even with 2nd tier type players...that's why they suck so bad.

In addition to Shaq, West, and Big Z, they have also lost Mo Williams and Daniel Gibson for chunks of time and Varajao for most of the season. Obviously, the biggest loss by far is Lebron but the other losses build on that as well.

That supporting cast with Lebron had a better record last season than the Heat are on track to achieve this year so the team clearly wasn't just Lebron and nothing but filler. They were supporting pieces that were made to fit around Lebron.