• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Drew is Already Backing Down - Lineup Changes on Hold

JackB1

http://blogs.ajc.com/hawks/2011/02/10/horford-still-sore-hawks-lineup-changes-on-hold/?cxntfid=blogs_hawks

Drew is saying because Horford will still be out Sat, that he has to put lineup changes on hold.

WTF! Horford is one guy! ??? Sounds like he is using this as an excuse to stay with the status quo.

Wonder what Sund will do after we get blown out by the Bobcats Sat at home?

Possibly because whatever lineup change he had in mind couldn't happen with Horford out?? Like maybe he was considering starting Twin, Horford and Marvin and benching Smith and with Horford out he doesn't have enough talent in the front court to absorb not having Horford and Smith starting? It's just a guess but it's not fair to call him out like that when we don't have a full lineup for him to work with.

agreed give him atleast a week first! or until horford comes back.

Possibly because whatever lineup change he had in mind couldn't happen with Horford out?? Like maybe he was considering starting Twin, Horford and Marvin and benching Smith and with Horford out he doesn't have enough talent in the front court to absorb not having Horford and Smith starting? It's just a guess but it's not fair to call him out like that when we don't have a full lineup for him to work with.

Good points.........if Teague is the guy he wanted to start you want to give Teague the best chance to succeed since his confidence is so fragile.

If Marvin is the guy he was going to bench the benefit would be that you hope it makes Marvin more aggressive on offense by playing with fewer scorers on the court. With Horford missing another game we need Marvin's scoring in the starting lineup more with ZaZa or Collins starting in Horford's place.

Edited by coachx

Again, why is it Smith getting benched after the blowout. Josh and Marvin were the only ones giving considerable effort.

Mo Evans, Bibby, Zaza....all not functioning well right now. Joe Johnson took 8 shots, scored 6 points in 22 minutes and forced 5 turnovers in that game. Why in the hell is that game on Josh?

• Like 1

• Moderators

I don't know why he doesn't do a symbolic benching. Its not about whether the new lineup would be competitive. It won't be. But put JT,Crawford,Wilkens,Powell, Twin out there for 3 minutes and let the starters suffer the humiliation of being called out for laying an egg. They don't all deserve it but its a team game. Celebrate, play, and take your punishment as a team. Maybe by doing this one of the players will have the balls to get in someone's face the next time we are getting embarrased.

al-horford-marvin-williams-mike-bibby-joe-johnson-josh-smith-2009-12-24-0-10-30.jpg

I don't know why he doesn't do a symbolic benching. Its not about whether the new lineup would be competitive. It won't be. But put JT,Crawford,Wilkens,Powell, Twin out there for 3 minutes and let the starters suffer the humiliation of being called out for laying an egg. They don't all deserve it but its a team game. Celebrate, play, and take your punishment as a team. Maybe by doing this one of the players will have the balls to get in someone's face the next time we are getting embarrased.

al-horford-marvin-williams-mike-bibby-joe-johnson-josh-smith-2009-12-24-0-10-30.jpg

lol we should play a game of what doesn't belong in that picture

• Admin

Again, why is it Smith getting benched after the blowout. Josh and Marvin were the only ones giving considerable effort.

Mo Evans, Bibby, Zaza....all not functioning well right now. Joe Johnson took 8 shots, scored 6 points in 22 minutes and forced 5 turnovers in that game. Why in the hell is that game on Josh?

It might not be Smith...he is using Smith as an example as to why LD is waiting until Horford comes back before making changes.

• Premium Member

That sounds good in theory. In reality, I know of zero examples where something like that has been done.

• Premium Member

Yes but is that a reason to not do it?

Yes. Many people do not take humiliation-as-discipline constructively. If you give them a type of humiliation that has never been dished out on any other set of players in recent (or perhaps all) NBA history, the reaction might be particularly unconstructive. It also might reduce our starters' trade value just a wee bit.

• Moderators

This has nothing to do with macdaddy's question of why is "no one has done it before" a valid reason for not engaging in an activity.

I think niremetal is pointing out that there are reasons to think that a public punishment might backfire under any circumstances and the fact no one has done this before would draw extra attention, be extra humiliating, and would enhance that risk factor beyond a point where niremetal is comfortable.

I don't think niremetal is answering the abstract question of whether "no one has done it before" is a valid reason (I suspect his answer to that would be something like "it depends on the circumstances") but is saying that as it applies to this set of circumstances it is a valid reason in his opinion.

I think it is a fair answer.

A coach has never made starting lineup changes after lack of effort.......Really ?

Jerry Sloan used to struggle with whether not AK47 should start or play the 6th man role. He has done both.

Avery Johnson used to go back and forth between Harris and Terry as his starting PGs the year they went to the Finals.

Don Nelson used to change up starting lineups like normal people change their socks.

This notion that starting lineup changes have never been done before is such a farce.

• Like 1

• Moderators

A coach has never made starting lineup changes after lack of effort.......Really ?

Jerry Sloan used to struggle with whether not AK47 should start or play the 6th man role. He has done both.

Avery Johnson used to go back and forth between Harris and Terry as his starting PGs the year they went to the Finals.

Don Nelson used to change up starting lineups like normal people change their socks.

This notion that starting lineup changes have never been done before is such a farce.

I think we have mixed wires here. What is being said has never been done before is sitting the entire starting lineup to begin a game to punish the group for poor effort the prior game. No one is arguing that no coach has ever made starting lineup changes after lack of effort - it is whether an NBA coach has sent a message by benching all 5 starters for the opening tip.

I think we have mixed wires here. What is being said has never been done before is sitting the entire starting lineup to begin a game to punish the group for poor effort the prior game. No one is arguing that no coach has ever made starting lineup changes after lack of effort - it is whether an NBA coach has sent a message by benching all 5 starters for the opening tip.

I would not have even chimed in had I known the conversation was on such a riduculous topic. I just saw the title thread and a bunch of argueing going back and forth........I did not realize the thread had turned in such a strange direction.