• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Thabeet worth a gamble for the Hawks?

JTB

While we're at it, maybe the Hawks can sign Stromile Swift and trade for Beasley and Milicic too, just to make it a complete set.

In all seriousness, Hasheem Thabeet is not a good NBA player. He is tall and he is a decent run/jump athlete, but has no actual skills. He can't shoot, he can't make a low post move, he can't pass, he can't set a pick, he can't rebound, he can't defend on the ball, and he doesn't have the basketball IQ necessary to improve any of those things. Moreso than any other top 3 pick in my memory, I was scratching my head about his projected draft position from the moment I saw him play. With Marvin/Darko/Beasley, the tools have always been there, but the drive and determination necessary to capitalize on that either was never present (Beasley) or seemed to fade (Marvin/Darko) once they got to the NBA. With Thabeet, the tools weren't even there to begin with. He was just born tall and decently fast. That's it.

I wouldn't mind Darko. He's a decent center. Beasley has potential. I think Beasley could be a very good NBA player. He's showing progress in Minny.

Ask any player who has played the game. Length, athleticism, and size is a major coup for a basketball player. Manute Bol and Shawn Bradley made career out of it. Thabeet would be no different.

Dead wrong at bolded. Josh Smith completely nulls the BBIQ statement. He was ten times worst than Thabeet in terms of BBIQ as a rookie.

Needs more experience for italics.

I don't think he will ever be much of a shooter.

It's clear you don't like Thabeet, cool whatever but you are over-exaggerating him a lot.

I am not here to really carry off on the history of #2 picks and I won't say Thabeet was a good one but will he be a good get for the Hawks? Absolutely. Look at his potential and what have. He will get a chance to grow.

Edited by nbasuperstar40

• Premium Member

I wouldn't mind Darko. He's a decent center. Beasley has potential. I think Beasley could be a very good NBA player. He's showing progress in Minny.

Ask any player who has played the game. Length, athleticism, and size is a major coup for a basketball player. Manute Bol and Shawn Bradley made career out of it. Thabeet would be no different.

Dead wrong at bolded. Josh Smith completely nulls the BBIQ statement. He was ten times worst than Thabeet in terms of BBIQ as a rookie.

Needs more experience for italics.

I don't think he will ever be much of a shooter.

It's clear you don't like Thabeet, cool whatever but you are over-exaggerating him a lot.

I am not here to really carry off on the history of #2 picks and I won't say Thabeet was a good one but will he be a good get for the Hawks? Absolutely. Look at his potential and what have. He will get a chance to grow.

Your projection of his upside potential is Manute Bol or Shawn Bradley? Sorry dude, but I rest my case.

Your projection of his upside potential is Manute Bol or Shawn Bradley? Sorry dude, but I rest my case.

I should have made myself clear. I never stated his potential, just playing style and why those abilities are valued in the NBA. His potential is rangy like most 2nd or 3rd year players. I am not understanding why you have such an issue with that.

This is he best description I've seen to sum of Thabeet:

Thabeets problem is he is big and tall, but has no feel for the game and no polished skills.

To get Thabeet to NBA level you'd have to start a die-hard skill development program with him, teaching him how to play from square one.

A good friend of mine worked with Thabeet during the draft and explained his situation like this... most NBA players found the game... they picked up the ball and started playing because they loved it and they were good at it.

When you are a 7 footer in Africa, the game finds you... Thabeet was told to play... Thabeet was steered to this point because others expected him to do this... this is a job... not a passion... his love is Soccer.

Thabeet loves the life the NBA provides for him, but he's not going to be the first person in the gym, he is not going to spend his summers and his money surrounding himself with trainers and skill development people.

This is not unique to Thabeet... this is very common with International players, especially big men. They are someone else's meal ticket.

This is not a coaching issue... Thabeet's issue is that Tall is not a skill, its a state of being.................................................................................................................................STEVE KYLER

Read more NBA news and insight: http://www.hoopsworld.com/chat.asp?chat_topics_id=1441&status=Inactive#ixzz1EAzXKi1L

This is he best description I've seen to sum of Thabeet:

Thabeets problem is he is big and tall, but has no feel for the game and no polished skills.

To get Thabeet to NBA level you'd have to start a die-hard skill development program with him, teaching him how to play from square one.

A good friend of mine worked with Thabeet during the draft and explained his situation like this... most NBA players found the game... they picked up the ball and started playing because they loved it and they were good at it.

When you are a 7 footer in Africa, the game finds you... Thabeet was told to play... Thabeet was steered to this point because others expected him to do this... this is a job... not a passion... his love is Soccer.

Thabeet loves the life the NBA provides for him, but he's not going to be the first person in the gym, he is not going to spend his summers and his money surrounding himself with trainers and skill development people.

This is not unique to Thabeet... this is very common with International players, especially big men. They are someone else's meal ticket.

This is not a coaching issue... Thabeet's issue is that Tall is not a skill, its a state of being.................................................................................................................................STEVE KYLER

Read more NBA news and insight: http://www.hoopsworld.com/chat.asp?chat_topics_id=1441&status=Inactive#ixzz1EAzXKi1L

I don't know how true what he wrote is if even true at all. But 80-90% of NBA players looks at the NBA as a paycheck. We wouldn't be asking him to be a superstar, just a role player. You are acting like he's Marvin where we had great expectations. With Thabeet, we just want a potentially decent to solid center. Nothing like Deke. With those tools, all he has to do is the norm at it and should happen. Even Jerry West is high on Thabeet: Jerry West on Thabeet

Edited by nbasuperstar40

I don't know how true what he wrote is if even true at all. But 80-90% of NBA players looks at the NBA as a paycheck. We wouldn't be asking him to be a superstar, just a role player. You are acting like he's Marvin where we had great expectations. With Thabeet, we just want a potentially decent to solid center. Nothing like Deke. With those tools, all he has to do is the norm at it and should happen. Even Jerry West is high on Thabeet: Jerry West on Thabeet

Thabeet was a #2 pick (Same as Marv) I believe so to say there should be no expectations is ludicris, both were drafted for their potential....Jerry West worked for the Griz I don't expect he would say anything different.....I have not seen anything so far from Thabeet to give me the impression that he can be a decent to solid center

Look guys. Sometimes even watching Thabeet for me is painful, but that doesn't mean he cannot be effective. At UCONN it would look ugly but at the end of a game last year he'd still have 11 rebounds and 6 blocks in somewhat limited minutes. I can understand someone NOT wanting Thabeet but not at ANY price. At ANY price (although his salary is prohibitive) he is worth it and IMO I-F I'm going to pay him and I-F I'm not going to afford Crawford, then I want to trade Craw and get a less expensive sniper option (Mayo) in return to cover for my paying Thabeet so much for "development".

There are better deals out there and I know this deal isn't going to happen because if we are not going to pay Craw it's because of the tax not Crawford himself. Still, I'm just SOOO frustrated watching this team right now and with the deadline approaching I'm dead set on our needing all but change for change sake. Not a great position from which to discuss a potential deal or trade but without a running Pg I'm done with small ball (probably shoudl be done with it regardless) and otherwise, without a center or center prospect, I'm just lost as a fan of this franchise.

W

Thabeet may have looked decent at UCONN but that was bc of his ridiculous height and the fact that most players in college just werent going at him like that but in one game all that changed when Dejuan Blair completed dominated him and made him look like a high school girl basketball player. He has looked beyond awful in everything he's done since coming in the league...he doesn't really block shots and cant hold a spot on the floor to save his life, the guy can foul out of a game in 10 mins of playing time....he's GOD AWFUL!!!!! He doesn't rebound at all, hes worst than Collins lol and his scoring is bad at best....being 7'2 doesnt really mean anything when it comes to this guy. Dont compare him to Deke bc they are nothing alike NOTHING ALIKE!!! Please god dont let the hawks make a move for that bum

• Moderators

If anyone believes that they can have a viable 7+ footer in the next 2 years by trading real assets for Thabeet they will do it. If they think he is a Saer Sene level of project, they won't. You'll see how they view his upside potential by what is ultimately traded for him.