Hawks won't sign anyone before March 12th.

mrhonline

• Premium Member

I think I just gained an even higher respect for how difficult it would be to be a GM working under this CBA... to think that the consequences for picking up just a minimum contract player could effectively cost your ownership about 5 times that amount, several million, is brutal and incoherent. There has to be some level of expectation that picking up someone else's castaway is going to result in x-number more games played, x-number more tickets sold, x-amount more income generated from concessions and merchandising... so yeah, hard to make that case even with the most recognizable names.

*sigh*

I don't think you understand how the luxury tax fully works. If you stay below the luxury tax you don't just avoid paying the luxury tax...the owners get a check for 3 million or so for avoiding the luxury tax. The ASG will not pay the luxury tax for any reason. This is why. That not just avoid the tax itself they have 3 million dollars coming back to them at the end of the season.

The tax paying clubs put the money in a pool and it is equally divided amongst the non-paying clubs.

Going into the tax is SIGNIFICANT

• Moderators

Thought it was interesting that the Hawks now have the 9th highest salary (in terms of cap hit, at least) in the NBA.

http://www.shamsport...aries/index.jsp

And how about 3rd overall in "committed" salaries? $311 million? Somebody really likes our core!

~lw3

I think I just gained an even higher respect for how difficult it would be to be a GM working under this CBA... to think that the consequences for picking up just a minimum contract player could effectively cost your ownership about 5 times that amount, several million, is brutal and incoherent. There has to be some level of expectation that picking up someone else's castaway is going to result in x-number more games played, x-number more tickets sold, x-amount more income generated from concessions and merchandising... so yeah, hard to make that case even with the most recognizable names.

*sigh*

They did it to keep teams under the luxury, so the penalty is significant. If the penalty was small, most teams close to the luxury would go over it every season.

And how about 3rd overall in "committed" salaries? $311 million? Somebody really likes our core!

~lw3

I bet they got a big time wake up call on that this past week when they found out what other GMs would give up for Marvin and/or Smoove.

• Premium Member

Having spent an hour or so this morning doing my re-acquaintance with the Coon FAQs that I seem to end up doing every 12 months or so, it seems it's going to impact our team salary number slightly less than $200,000 for a Dominic Brown ( < 2 yrs exp) or $220,000 (2+ yrs exp) for a Dom McGuire. According to Sham Sports, we're sitting at $160,000 under the luxury tax threshold, but as mrhonline has pointed out, there is some level of play with that number that we can't really decipher, particularly with reference to some "likely" bonuses incorporated into Marvin's contract... and who knows, there could be some additional play in those numbers, good or bad. Here's what Storytellers reports:

Likely

- 100K / Horf

- 550K / Marv

- 246K / Teague

Unlikely

- 335K / Horf

- 2 mil / Hinrich

- 550K / Marv

- 500K / ZaZa

EDIT: I see that mrhonline amended his original post... which doesn't actually change any of what I've said above... the devil is truly, truly in the details on this one, and particularly with regard to Marvin given that there was a difference last season in his cap hit and his pay.

Edited by sturt
  • Like 1

• Premium Member

Awesome work, Sturt. I never noticed that about storyteller's site before.

I wonder if Michael Cunningham could get an answer from Sund. I'd really hate to see a roster spot go to waste, especially because there's already so much bloat on the roster.

• Premium Member

Awesome work, Sturt. I never noticed that about storyteller's site before.

I wonder if Michael Cunningham could get an answer from Sund. I'd really hate to see a roster spot go to waste, especially because there's already so much bloat on the roster.

What's ominous is that Horf has that 335K in unlikelys... though, too, one would suspect that if Sund/ASG is uptight about that part, the Hinrich deal might not have gotten done in the first place... or on the other hand, I guess there's a slim chance that they did the Hinrich deal anyhow, and that we're already over the threshold no matter what... in which case, there would not be the same disincentive to not fill the 15th slot.

• Premium Member

Azubuike's knee evidently is the big reason why that possibility exists... paired with the fact that it appears that they're going to re-sign Jeffries following his buy-out. I agree it'd be a great get, pending a medical exam to see if he'd actually have something to contribute.

Azubuike's knee evidently is the big reason why that possibility exists... paired with the fact that it appears that they're going to re-sign Jeffries following his buy-out. I agree it'd be a great get, pending a medical exam to see if he'd actually have something to contribute.

Oh man, how awesome would it be if we added Azubuike. Watched him for a couple years in the bay area....he can ball for sure. Not sure about his injuries, but when healthy....wow...prolly be the best sf we have..sorry Marv.

• Premium Member

Fwiw... per Charlotte Observer, CHA dropping Mo Peterson and Sean Marks, bringing back Derrick Brown; no mention of Dom McGuire, though they would appear to have an additional slot there... perhaps they're holding that open in anticipation of the Azubuike release or some other.