Hawks won't sign anyone before March 12th.

mrhonline

I don't think we should waive Etan. The Hawks could use him come playoff time against Dwight Howard if we face the Magic, and he is known to emerge in the postseason, because he always keeps fighting for a rebound, no matter how much it looks like the opponent will get it. We have even seen that in his limited minutes he's played. Now that we got Kirk and Hilton (who are exactly who we needed - a point guard and a center), we should stick with who we have. I think now we are ready to venture far into the postseason with our newly acquired players. :)

• Admin

Oh man, how awesome would it be if we added Azubuike. Watched him for a couple years in the bay area....he can ball for sure. Not sure about his injuries, but when healthy....wow...prolly be the best sf we have..sorry Marv.

Yes, a healthy Azubuike would be an amazing pickup. It must be pretty bad if they are just letting him go

Hi,

I could be wrong (Storrytellers would be also), but I think we can sign a player starting tomorrow.

This is how it works, and it the difference comes from a supposed error from Sham :

We are talking about cap hit regarding luxury tax, and not salaries, so it's based on 854,389 for Wilkins (even if is paid more).

Shamsports has Wilkins at 226,484 for Dec. 3rd to Jan. 5th, then 482,478 for the two 10-days and the remaining part of the season.

I don't get the same numbers :

I have 33 days from Dec. 3rd to Jan. 5th, then 98 for both 10-days and the remaining part

It makes 165,882 and 492,530, so a total of 658,382, exactly the same amount "Storytellerscontracts" says.

Unless Storytellerscontracts and I made a mistake, and Shamsport is right,

we can sign someone starting tomorrow, because of :

70,307,000 Tax threshold - 70,089,489 tax cap hit = 217,511

854,389 x 43 days left / 170 days for the regular season = 216,110

• Like 1

• Premium Member

D21,

That's a valid question. If you don't mind, you could ask for clarification on the CBA board on RealGM. If you can get the poster "Dunkenstein" or Larry Coon himself to answer, you're likely getting the figures from the league itself. I'd do it myself, but I've nearly burned up my quota. Haha.

Other options are to ask Sham (Mark Deeks) on Twitter or email Larry Coon directly (he's usually great to respond to emails).

D21,

That's a valid question. If you don't mind, you could ask for clarification on the CBA board on RealGM. If you can get the poster "Dunkenstein" or Larry Coon himself to answer, you're likely getting the figures from the league itself. I'd do it myself, but I've nearly burned up my quota. Haha.

Other options are to ask Sham (Mark Deeks) on Twitter or email Larry Coon directly (he's usually great to respond to emails).

OK, I will ask them directly.

I will come back as soon as I get the answer.

• Premium Member

Sund isn't doing his job very well if he doesn't know exactly where things stand on that front... and that just would seem out of character from everything else we know of him.

What I come back to is this--we simply can't know the "likelys" and the "unlikelys" in the formula. And even if Marvin's give us some room, there's the matter of whether Horf's take some of that room away.

:notme:

Edited by sturt

• Moderators

Sund isn't doing his job very well if he doesn't know exactly where things stand on that front... and that just would seem out of character from everything else we know of him.

What I come back to is this--we simply can't know the "likelys" and the "unlikelys" in the formula. And even if Marvin's give us some room, there's the matter of whether Horf's take some of that room away.

:notme:

Given that we've seen two teams recently embarrass themselves by not turning in their trade on time to the league when even casual fans knew the deadline, I wouldn't assume our FO has this much more complicated issue perfectly right. I expect they do but I'd send an email anyway just to make sure they have it at their fingertips.

• Premium Member

Given that we've seen two teams recently embarrass themselves by not turning in their trade on time to the league when even casual fans knew the deadline, I wouldn't assume our FO has this much more complicated issue perfectly right. I expect they do but I'd send an email anyway just to make sure they have it at their fingertips.

Can't hurt, I guess.

Remember in 2005 on lottery day BK thought the Hawks would get the 2nd pick in the second round because they finished 2nd in the lottery. Ugh

Hi again,

so there was some mistake on my side, by not adding the two days of waivers at the end of the first period and error on the number of days (both Dec 3rd and Jan 5th are included).

It makes 36 days instead of 33.

On the other hand, I got 98 days from Jan 8th to April 13th, while it's 96 days, so less.

In the end, without my errors, I get a one more day.

36 days for 180,929 (Sham has 226,484)

96 days for 482,478 (same than Sham this time).

Sham made me realize the error on the first part, but we still don't have the same numbers, and I am waiting for a new answer from him.

At this moment, my numbers gives us the opportunity to sign someone not on Mar. 2nd (tomorrow), but on Mar. 3rd (Thursday).

Hi again,

so there was some mistake on my side, by not adding the two days of waivers at the end of the first period and error on the number of days (both Dec 3rd and Jan 5th are included).

It makes 36 days instead of 33.

On the other hand, I got 98 days from Jan 8th to April 13th, while it's 96 days, so less.

In the end, without my errors, I get a one more day.

36 days for 180,929 (Sham has 226,484)

96 days for 482,478 (same than Sham this time).

Sham made me realize the error on the first part, but we still don't have the same numbers, and I am waiting for a new answer from him.

At this moment, my numbers gives us the opportunity to sign someone not on Mar. 2nd (tomorrow), but on Mar. 3rd (Thursday).

How are you accounting for the missing Milwaukee game in your calculations?

I really wish I had more time and effort to go through numbers like you are doing, but I think its great someone is sitting down and digging through our cap situation. I guess at the same time I have never been that concerned with what our actual cap hits and salaries paid are (more practical, but its just boring numbers to me), I've been more fascinated with the structure of the CBA and how this affects making decisions.

Some news : two people (Sham included) come to 226,484 as 36 days of $1,069,509 / 170 = $226,484 (based on his salary without reimbursement of the league for the difference between a 2-year veteran minimum contract and his)

The other two, Dunkenstein and me, still don't get it, and Storrytellers still has the same numbers I got.

So, sorry to end all the hope now, but it all come to an end, not from the 226,484 Vs 180,929 fight, but from a new info : 100,000 of Hinrich Unlikely Bonus have been turned into Likely Bonus once he was traded to ATL.

It would likely mean almost 20 days more to wait, and maybe more than 30 if Sham is correct on the Wilkins part.

• Premium Member

I fail to see why anyone would wait to sign with us or any other playoff team after 3/1 if they can't play in the playoffs... after midnight, seems might as well go to the highest bidder period... which won't be us.

I fail to see why anyone would wait to sign with us or any other playoff team after 3/1 if they can't play in the playoffs... after midnight, seems might as well go to the highest bidder period... which won't be us.

Why would they not play in playoffs ?

Maybe you are confusing two facts :

you have to be cut before or on Mar. 1st to be able to sign with any team and play in playoffs if the team goes there,

but you don't have to sign before or on Mar. 1st, you can wait for it. Sure you will loose some money, but if you need some days to decide and don't need money like lots of veteran...

For example :

- a player A cut on Mar. 1st or before (eg Feb. 25th), once he clears waivers (48h), can sign with a team when he wants to (eg. on Mar. 25th), and play in playoffs with the team

- a player B cut on Mar. 2nd or later, once he clears waivers, can sign when he wants to (eg. Mar. 6th), but won't play in playoffs.

Player B can't play in playoffs, not because he signs to late (he signs before player A), but because on Mar. 1, he wasn't cut.

• Premium Member

Why would they not play in playoffs ?

Maybe you are confusing two facts :

you have to be cut before or on Mar. 1st to be able to sign with any team and play in playoffs if the team goes there,

but you don't have to sign before or on Mar. 1st, you can wait for it. Sure you will loose some money, but if you need some days to decide and don't need money like lots of veteran...

For example :

- a player A cut on Mar. 1st or before (eg Feb. 25th), once he clears waivers (48h), can sign with a team when he wants to (eg. on Mar. 25th), and play in playoffs with the team

- a player B cut on Mar. 2nd or later, once he clears waivers, can sign when he wants to (eg. Mar. 6th), but won't play in playoffs.

Player B can't play in playoffs, not because he signs to late (he signs before player A), but because on Mar. 1, he wasn't cut.

One of us is getting bad information, and it could be me, but I don't think so. I just did a quick google on NBA playoff rosters, and this was one of the first things that turned up... I'm pretty sure that I can find additional support to back this up, but I'm a little short on time at the moment...

http://www.beyondthebeat.net/20100219424/2010-articles/february/blazers-searching-for-their-15th-man.html

"The said player has to be on the roster by the March 1 deadline to be on Portland’s playoff roster. The Blazers can add a minimum player at anytime through the end of the season, but that player would not be playoff eligible.

Now that the NBA trade deadline has come and gone, no player who is on an NBA roster can be on another NBA teams playoff roster after March 1."