• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

What is our identity as a team?

Wurider05

People bash Joe's contract, call us overrated, and lose our composure when things get tough.

Yeah. I don't know that we really even have an identity. We're a pretty quiet team with no really big personalities and no real distinctive style of play. I think we have an identity of being inconsistent, not particularly mentally tough, and like you say, ultimately showing the inability to rise to the occasion when that's most necessary. All of those things tie together, the inconsistency, the lack of mental toughness (we often seem to just fold) , leaving us short of being able to truly contend as it stands. We are total pretenders so far as that goes and in my opinion, and I believe that's why almost every one of us on this board (so far as I know of) seems to hold out virtually no hope of any kind of extended playoff run for this team.

I think we also have an identity of being one of the most athletically gifted teams in the NBA, but maybe not so gifted when it comes to in-game hoop smarts, and whether that's on the players, the coaching that they're receiving, or both, I have no idea.

We don't have one, it's just win and when they don't threaten to make lineup changes. Josh Smith can shoot 10 3's a night as long as they win. We have a coach that got hired because of his spaceage offensive sets that either don't work when we play decent defensive teams or they don't run much. The coach tells one player that he has to take the job from the guy that was already there when he came then gives it to another player. A coach that changes starting lineups depending on other teams strengths and not his teams strengths. We have a coach that has few convictions but comes at a cheap price. We have a GM that trades 2 #1 picks and 2 serviceable players for 1 serviceable player and justifies it as the best he could do and the draft is weak. Our owners and management are a direct reflection of the coach and GM. That's what we are. A no moral and principle needed organization.

• Like 1

We don't have one, it's just win and when they don't threaten to make lineup changes. Josh Smith can shoot 10 3's a night as long as they win. We have a coach that got hired because of his spaceage offensive sets that either don't work when we play decent defensive teams or they don't run much. The coach tells one player that he has to take the job from the guy that was already there when he came then gives it to another player. A coach that changes starting lineups depending on other teams strengths and not his teams strengths. We have a coach that has few convictions but comes at a cheap price. We have a GM that trades 2 #1 picks and 2 serviceable players for 1 serviceable player and justifies it as the best he could do and the draft is weak. Our owners and management are a direct reflection of the coach and GM. That's what we are. A no moral and principle needed organization.

Just look at it from this perspective, before the trade Teague barely got any minutes. Now after the trade, he's getting more minutes. Hopefully the coach sees something positive in his play and continues giving him extended minutes. Before the trade we had one of the worst defensive pg combo in Jamal and Bibby. After the trade we have the potential to have one of the best defensive pg situations with Teague and Hinrich, something that this team has been lacking for the past few years.

Edited by Supporter

That's why we should be so happy to get e true PG. He's going to help to forge an identity that's been missing. I think SEANO has it right. Time to change that perception. If the Hawks pick up the speed on O and the pressure on D, that will forge our true identity. GSW game was a precurser to that new identity...I hope...

Right now the Hawks overall identity is

{solid regular season team/ playoff doormat}

Very good regular season team with a lot of athletes and talented players. Good defense and Solid offense.

Downside: No PG before the trade, they live and die from the perimeter and are just a solid playoff team.

With Hinrich, I think our defense could be the best in the NBA. Our offense can be much improved and our team should be able to beat any team in a seven game series in the Eastern Conference. I like our chances with this team. I don't like our PF though.

• Premium Member

Right now we are known to be young, long and athletic.

I lol'd...

This has been a problem for us ever since we traded Nique. Your identity starts with your superstar. You build a team around that guy INCLUDING your coach. In the nearly two decades since we dealt our identity for a MARSHMALLOW that walked away from us, we have not come across such a player. Which is why when we FINALLY decided to build through the draft, I screamed inside like a little schoolgirl.

The thought of having an Iverson, KG, Kobe, or Shaq of our own - pulling the droves of fans into Phillps - towels waving in the playoffs...it was too good to be true. So we began to draft to build that identity and BK had it set in his mind that it was going to be an all 6'8" hybrid team with interchangeable parts - guys playing multiple positions. That sounded cool at first, but the second we picked Marvin over a PG...the wheels started falling off of that vision. As soon as the pre-season started, it was quite apparent that BK's mad scientist experiment was not going to work.

Since then, we've been throwing sh!t at the wall and hoping that something sticks. We have a shaky foundation to this thing that we keep trying to fix up. If we're lucky, we'll have something presentable. I'm done with the negative talk for this season (being QUITE excited to see what Hinrich brings), but if we get to that low point again...we'll have to examine the flaw in our foundation. That will likely mean tearing the whole thing down to rebuild a new identity.

Let's just hope Sund doesn't have a vision for an all 7' team of C/F's.................

Edited by Wretch
  • Like 1

• Premium Member

Yeah. I don't know that we really even have an identity. We're a pretty quiet team with no really big personalities and no real distinctive style of play. I think we have an identity of being inconsistent, not particularly mentally tough, and like you say, ultimately showing the inability to rise to the occasion when that's most necessary. All of those things tie together, the inconsistency, the lack of mental toughness (we often seem to just fold) , leaving us short of being able to truly contend as it stands. We are total pretenders so far as that goes and in my opinion, and I believe that's why almost every one of us on this board (so far as I know of) seems to hold out virtually no hope of any kind of extended playoff run for this team.

I think we also have an identity of being one of the most athletically gifted teams in the NBA, but maybe not so gifted when it comes to in-game hoop smarts, and whether that's on the players, the coaching that they're receiving, or both, I have no idea.

Agreed with pretty much everything else has said in this thread, including all of this post... with that one exception of what is bolded/underlined above. I am one of those who Seano doesn't know of. I have quite a bit of hope, but then again, that might just be my personality. But then again, it's not baseless either, for all of the positive reasons given in this thread, not the least of which is the addition of a key piece that might just make the whole engine run in tune as it never has before... we're about to find out. And teams have come out of nowhere before, largely because the media plays favorites and hypes up pet teams while ignoring others. The only word I don't think I read here that is currently part of our identity (though it is still said in a variety of different words) is immaturity. The nice thing about immaturity is that, though it can be painfully slow to go away, it is the rule of human nature that it does... not that you don't still have the occasional person like my brother who is still living in the hippie-age and barely holding down a job or a relationship for more than a few years... but most people grow up and it starts to show in their production. I think we all hope that's the case here.

Edited by sturt

:jumping11:

When we'r hot, we're hot - - - When we're not, we're not.

When our jump shots are falling, no one can beat us.

When they are not falling, anyone can beat us.

Before the trade for Captain Kirk and the extendewd play of Jeff Teague, we were slow on both

ends of the court. Bibby put fear into any opponent when he had a hot hand from behind the arch.

Problem was, he, like his teammates, went hot and cold.

Our coach is different from Woody. However, there seems to be one thing that they both practice

with a passion. No rookie or almost rookie is to be allowed on the floor. If you're not a veteran,

you practice with the team but ride the pine when an actual game is on, They are duplicates on this.

In two games, JT has looked like he should have been playing a lot more. Captain Kirk looked

like he had been here all the time. This appears to be a lethal combination on both ends of the

court for the Hawks. Hopefully they will keep this up and coach won't decide to bench JT for

Crawford as the backup.

Hawks are now long, athletic and with a new quickness. They don't have the bulk inside and don't

box out and rebound as they should. In the first game back after the all star break, some of the

players acted like they were trying to get over a bad hangover. Maybe not. But, they sure looked

the part. Seeing this one time was enough.

We're good. We're great! We stink. We are like the weather. We change from day to day, Very

inconsistant. My conclusion. As I said to open this - -

When we're hot, we're hot.---When we're not, we're not.

:speak:

• Like 1

What about the Hawks should the league fear?

What is our calling card?

What can we now be with the talent that we have?

Inquiring minds want to know!!

I think developing an identity QUICKLY may be the most important thing for this year's team. I also don't think Drew is the person to do it. I think it will have to come from a player or group of players. I'm hoping Hinrich and Horford can talk some sense into this team in terms of defensive intensity and effort and efficient, smart play on offense. I also hope that we develop some quiet toughness. I'm sick of the JS ref complaints and poor shot selection and MW's anemic rebounding numbers for a well-sized Sf supposedly longer than anyone on the team. Hell, MW averaged 5 RPG in 24 MPG as a rookie! He's regressed as a rebounder in his 6 years year. How does that happen? Please Hinrich, help make our parts greater and help make us greater than the sum of our parts.

W

Very good regular season team with a lot of athletes and talented players. Good defense and Solid offense.

Downside: No PG before the trade, they live and die from the perimeter and are just a solid playoff team.

With Hinrich, I think our defense could be the best in the NBA. Our offense can be much improved and our team should be able to beat any team in a seven game series in the Eastern Conference. I like our chances with this team. I don't like our PF though.

I am liken what I said this thread so far. I meant backup PF, not PF. I forget to mention that. Very important.

Edited by nbasuperstar40