• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Atlanta Hawks Blowing the big lead

Wurider05

It appears that when we have a big lead against teams LD leaves the offensive unit in too long. It's like LD's mentality is to maintain the lead instead of stopping the other team. Let me explain. If you are up by 15-20 points you best defensive lineup should be out there. That means no Crawford and more Marvin and Damien. We need to have our grind it out lineup in the game. I don't think that Craw needs to be in the game when you are trying to keep a lead. This and we need to stop shooting so many jumpers. Portland actually outscored us in the second half.

So what's the biggest culprit when we blow big leads the lineup or the jump shooting? We need to figure this out before the playoffs!!

It appears that when we have a big lead against teams LD leaves the offensive unit in too long. It's like LD's mentality is to maintain the lead instead of stopping the other team. Let me explain. If you are up by 15-20 points you best defensive lineup should be out there. That means no Crawford and more Marvin and Damien. We need to have our grind it out lineup in the game. I don't think that Craw needs to be in the game when you are trying to keep a lead. This and we need to stop shooting so many jumpers. Portland actually outscored us in the second half.

So what's the biggest culprit when we blow big leads the lineup or the jump shooting? We need to figure this out before the playoffs!!

Nah. Its when we stop running our sets and revert to iso joe or iso craw. I don't know why joe always feels its miller time whenever the fourth quarter arrives. He dribbles the shot clock down and either turns it over or bricks it.......same goes for craw.

• Like 1

They always stop sharing the basket ball in the 4th quarter when

they have a lead.Iso Joe/Craw is killing the team

in the 4th quarters.They are giving the other team what it wants.

CONTESTED fadeaway JumpShots!

No driving to the hoop, no free throw attempts ,no draw and kick

, no posting up , or running plays.

Just dribble , dribble , dribble , fade-away ( clank) over and over.

All the other team has to do is just keep chipping away at the

lead until they have it to single digits , then go in for the kill.

Edited by pimp
  • Like 3

They always stop sharing the basket ball in the 4th quarter when

they have a lead.Iso Joe/Craw is killing the team

in the 4th quarters.They are giving the other team what it wants.

CONTESTED fadeaway JumpShots!

No driving to the hoop, no free throw attempts ,no draw and kick

, no posting up , or running plays.

Just dribble , dribble , dribble , fade-away ( clank) over and over.

All the other team has to do is just keep chipping away at the

lead until they have it to single digits , then go in for the kill.

Yeah all they had to do was what they did all game. Swing the ball around and find the open man, easy bucket. That would be a lot less work than going iso. I hate to say it, but it might partly be I'm gonna look bad if I make 18m and don't put up a respectable nimbers. Or I need a contract let me inflate my nimbers.

I wish we would play more through Al in the 4th quarters. It seems like Horford gets no attempts late in the game and he is the steadiest shooter on the team.

Drew lets Crawford and Joe run the show late and we need to stick with our offensive scheme for 4 qtrs. That is why we blow leads....the rest of the team stands

around and watches Joe or Jamal and we stop running the motion offense. You see it game after game.

We usually stop playing basketball... in other word, we suffer from temporary amnesia... we forget what got us the lead in first place!

It's combo of careless ball-handling, lack of movement, execution, no intensity on D, ISO JJ/Craw...

Plus, LD needs to identify and avoid these situations by deploying best line-up on the court in order to close out games when we have opportunity!

Instead, we have to double our efforts in so many games because we simply have to win them all over again!

• Premium Member

A guy on the AJC blog (vava74) said a few months back that Jamal is always on the floor when the other team goes on these steamroller runs. I've started paying attention to the lineups during runs since he's said that, and it's been true every time I've seen an opposing run since. Of course, Jamal is also usually on the floor when we go on big runs too. But I think his preference for 1-on-1 ball combined with his poor defensive skills makes runs by the other team much more likely, regardless of whether he's in with the starters or second unit. It might be wise to sit him for a couple minutes in favor of Marvin or even Damien on nights like last night, once a team starts going on a run.

Edited by niremetal

• Premium Member

Don't the Blazers have a reputation for 4th quarter comebacks? I think the announcers said they lead the league in wins when trailing going into the 4th quarter.

Yeah but we've seen the Hawks give up big 4th quarter leads before. Last night had less to do with Blazers and more to do with the Hawks coach not knowing how to close teams out.

Yeah but we've seen the Hawks give up big 4th quarter leads before. Last night had less to do with Blazers and more to do with the Hawks coach not knowing how to close teams out.

So it didn't have anything to do with the intense pressure that the Blazers were putting on us full-court or the fact that they finally started to hit a few shots? It's not like our defense fell apart there either, they just forced us into multiple turnovers and they hit some tough shots and there's very little, if anything, that LD could have done to change that. Maybe if we had a guy like Steve Nash or Chris Paul who can beat pressure on his own but we just don't have anyone like that on our roster. The players have to be held accountable for some of the awful decisions that they made and for the carelessness that they showed with the ball but you also have to give Portland credit for forcing their way back into the game.

that was perhaps the worst defensive lineup you could have in the game with Jamal and Kirk in the backcourt since one of them was goin to have to guard the SG and neither of them should ever be defending the 2. It's jus like the Bibby, Craw, JJ, etc lineup. Sure it's ur most veteran squad but they are liable on D. Only play Kirk OR Craw in crunch time, not both together. Let JJ defend the 2, let Marv and/or Wilikins defend the 3. That length would help slow the penetration we started giving up in the 4th after stellar D all game

Edited by RedDawg#8

• Premium Member

A guy on the AJC blog (vava74) said a few months back that Jamal is always on the floor when the other team goes on these steamroller runs. I've started paying attention to the lineups during runs since he's said that, and it's been true every time I've seen an opposing run since. Of course, Jamal is also usually on the floor when we go on big runs too. But I think his preference for 1-on-1 ball combined with his poor defensive skills makes runs by the other team much more likely, regardless of whether he's in with the starters or second unit. It might be wise to sit him for a couple minutes in favor of Marvin or even Damien on nights like last night, once a team starts going on a run.

If you're playing 30+ mpg, then you're going to be on the floor all but 18- minutes of the game. People like to find trends in a small box. It makes no sense. There are some things that Craw does that we can live without, but he's been called on to score.

If you're playing 30+ mpg, then you're going to be on the floor all but 18- minutes of the game. People like to find trends in a small box. It makes no sense. There are some things that Craw does that we can live without, but he's been called on to score.

Well, perhaps a good start would be decreasing some of those minutes by sitting him down during big runs.

• Like 1