Howard

or

Hinrich

Joe

Marvin

Smoove

Horford

and Crawford on the bench?

Is this serious? And no way Craw stays here. Much rather get a 3 point shooter that can play D at the 2 if we get Howard.

Edited by GameTime

• Premium Member

That presents an interesting scenario. Are we better with:

Hinrich

Crawford

Smoove

Horford

Howard

or

Hinrich

Joe

Marvin

Smoove

Horford

and Crawford on the bench?

The Hawks are far better in the first lineup you mentioned with Dwight and it isn't even close.

I asked this question the other day.....Does the NBA allow players to restructure their contracts? I know it's highly unlikely it would happen, but I remember John Smoltz took less money on a restructured contract to give the Braves a little more wiggle room financially to improve the team. If the Hawks are able to move some pieces like Marvin and Zaza and don't re-sign Jamal or use him in a S&T for deals that expire after next season, they could possibly have enough room to sign Dwight IF Joe, Smoove, and/or Al took a little less money annually. Someone did the numbers that the Hawks would be somewhere around $14 million under the cap in the scenario proposed above (based on current cap situation). Naturally, you'd expect Dwight to sign for a little more than that, but If each player took $1 million less annually, that would still give you the freedom to give Dwight a comparable deal without losing anyone. I don't know the exact figures but something like

Joe $14 million

Smoove $10 million

Horf $10 million

Howard $14 million

Those numbers would put you at $48 million (current cap I believe)

Just a thought. Anyone know the rules on players restructuring their contracts?

Is this serious? And no way Craw stays here. Much rather get a 3 point shooter that can play D at the 2 if we get Howard.

Not sure what's up with the tone in your message because I thought it was a legitimate question, but why would you say "no way Craw stays here"?

Personally, I think we're a better defensive team with Howard. Look at what people say about the Lakers WHEN Bynum is healthy. Their lineup of Gasol, Bynum and Odom completely shuts teams down inside. We'd have the EXACT same thing defensively here. Even better IMO. Crawford isn't as good defensively as Joe by any stretch of the imagination. Offensively either for that matters, but we'd have a true inside-outside game. Howard is a true back to the basket player and paired down low with Smoove and Horford we'd have a ridiculous height advantage over every team we faced. We'd easily out-rebound our opponents on both the defensive and offensive glass. With that kind of depth, you could have scrubs backing up those guys because all Smoove can play the 3 or 4. Horford can play the 4 or 5 and Dwight is the best center in the NBA.

Not sure what's up with the tone in your message because I thought it was a legitimate question, but why would you say "no way Craw stays here"?

Personally, I think we're a better defensive team with Howard. Look at what people say about the Lakers WHEN Bynum is healthy. Their lineup of Gasol, Bynum and Odom completely shuts teams down inside. We'd have the EXACT same thing defensively here. Even better IMO. Crawford isn't as good defensively as Joe by any stretch of the imagination. Offensively either for that matters, but we'd have a true inside-outside game. Howard is a true back to the basket player and paired down low with Smoove and Horford we'd have a ridiculous height advantage over every team we faced. We'd easily out-rebound our opponents on both the defensive and offensive glass. With that kind of depth, you could have scrubs backing up those guys because all Smoove can play the 3 or 4. Horford can play the 4 or 5 and Dwight is the best center in the NBA.

The first option is much better than the 2nd option.

Edited by GameTime

The first option is much better than the 2nd option.

I gotcha now. I misunderstood what you were saying in your post. My apologies. I wouldn't mind Crawford back if we traded Joe. I think he's a good enough scorer to off-set some of the loss of Joe, even though Joe contributes in so many ways even if his shot isn't falling. Craw could be a key component of that inside-out game if his shot is falling. I think it would be nice to have a defensive-minded backup for him though

I asked this question the other day.....Does the NBA allow players to restructure their contracts? I know it's highly unlikely it would happen, but I remember John Smoltz took less money on a restructured contract to give the Braves a little more wiggle room financially to improve the team. If the Hawks are able to move some pieces like Marvin and Zaza and don't re-sign Jamal or use him in a S&T for deals that expire after next season, they could possibly have enough room to sign Dwight IF Joe, Smoove, and/or Al took a little less money annually. Someone did the numbers that the Hawks would be somewhere around $14 million under the cap in the scenario proposed above (based on current cap situation). Naturally, you'd expect Dwight to sign for a little more than that, but If each player took $1 million less annually, that would still give you the freedom to give Dwight a comparable deal without losing anyone. I don't know the exact figures but something like

Joe $14 million

Smoove $10 million

Horf $10 million

Howard $14 million

Those numbers would put you at $48 million (current cap I believe)

Just a thought. Anyone know the rules on players restructuring their contracts?

Next year, those numbers are wrong by about 8 million. I have a thread I made on this around Sunday ish.

S & T craw for Mayo (expiring restricted free agent) would be a wise idea.

Trade Marv and Zaza for Kamans expiring.

Leaves us with Joe, Al and Josh for summer 2012. The problem is Joe - his contract prevents us from signing him outright.... so on second thought, it may be a good idea to keep marv and za as trade pieces for Dwight.

Or, trade Kaman and Joe for Dwight and one of their overpaid players (JRich?)... I don't know the best way to go about this, but we have to get Dwight.

Never mind. Just found out JRich expires this year.

Edited by warcore

Next year, those numbers are wrong by about 8 million. I have a thread I made on this around Sunday ish.

I wasn't saying that was their current salaries. I was saying if they restructured their contracts to something like that, it would work.

• Premium Member

Back when I was in the "insider" business I did have all my sources agree that Dwight did want to play for Atlanta and he was wanting to play with Smoove in their hometown together. He was wanting to give Orlando a shot to put people around him to win titles and if that didn't work then he'd want to come back home and play with Smoove.

I wasn't saying that was their current salaries. I was saying if they restructured their contracts to something like that, it would work.

Under the current CBA no you can not restructure an existing contract. You can get bought out but that's it.

Back when I was in the "insider" business I did have all my sources agree that Dwight did want to play for Atlanta and he was wanting to play with Smoove in their hometown together. He was wanting to give Orlando a shot to put people around him to win titles and if that didn't work then he'd want to come back home and play with Smoove.

Under the current CBA no you can not restructure an existing contract. You can get bought out but that's it.

Kinda' thought that, but I wasn't sure. Dwight for JJ straight up works salary wise. Not exactly a fair trade to be honest for Orlando, but it works for salaries.

• Premium Member

OK, I'm late coming.. But here is the truth.

Howard is the most dominant force in the game right now.

It will cost us Horford. Good filler. + 2 first round picks to get Dwight. It might even cost us a second core player and us taking back their crap too.

However:

Howard, Smoove, Joe, Hinrich... that would easily be a beastly team.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

After giving this more thought a JJ trade probably wouldn't work. All the leverage is with Orlando since Howard will be sought after by every team with assets. If the Magic had a choice between Howard and Joe I think they take Al 10 times out of 10. I don't think Al and Howard's money would match so the Hawks would have to throw another stater in the deal along with a 1st..

or

the same as what Diesel said.

Edited by NineOhTheRino

• Premium Member

After giving this more thought a JJ trade probably wouldn't work. All the leverage is with Orlando since Howard will be sought after by every team with assets. If the Magic had a choice between Howard and Joe I think they take Al 10 times out of 10.

I think what's really missing here is an understanding of what the new CBA will look like. The lockout will force the players to fold. Owners will get lots of concessions. I don't know if it will be that easy for FAs to move as they are now.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

OK, I'm late coming.. But here is the truth.

Howard is the most dominant force in the game right now.

It will cost us Horford. Good filler. + 2 first round picks to get Dwight. It might even cost us a second core player and us taking back their crap too.

However:

Howard, Smoove, Joe, Hinrich... that would easily be a beastly team.

Something that also must be considered is where Dwight wants to play. If (and this is a big if) he wanted to play for the Hawks and wanted to ensure it, he could threaten to not re-up with any other team but the Hawks, thereby putting pressure on Orlando to accept a deal that suits Atlanta as well as oppossed to losing Dwight for nothing. The Hawks could also make things more interesting if they could find away to either acquire expiring deals that would be attractive to Orlando or shed salary to give themselves more wiggle room. This could all change though with the new CBA, but I think the Hawks first option should be to try and get Dwight while keeping both Horf and Smoove.

After giving this more thought a JJ trade probably wouldn't work. All the leverage is with Orlando since Howard will be sought after by every team with assets. If the Magic had a choice between Howard and Joe I think they take Al 10 times out of 10. I don't think Al and Howard's money would match so the Hawks would have to throw another stater in the deal along with a 1st..

or

the same as what Diesel said.

I agree with this. We would have some SERIOUS competition for his services from any team with assets to give and a basketball brain in their heads. I would love to just sit back and read about all the trade offers pouring in, because you know there would be some true stunners. He'd be a 26 year old franchise C with a great health history and great personal character, so everybody and their dog would be after that guy, and it's very possible that ORL wouldn't even want to trade him within the division. So we would have to outbid everyone else, and also overcome the possibility that we might have to give the Magic even more than others would just for trading him within the division. Our hope would lie with the hope that he really wants to come back home and play, and if that's true, then that would be our chance to make it happen. And no one on the Hawks would be untouchable in that situation, at least not for me.

I have to say that I'd HATE to trade Al Horford. For me it would leave me with a feeling of sickness in my stomach that is between when we traded Nique and when we traded Smitty. For Howard I would do it but I would honestly hate seeing Al play for another team, especially a division team.

• Like 1