• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

What were you wrong about?

Wretch

I have been wrong so many times I cannot remember them all.

Marvin, was seeing him as 18 and 6 or better by now when we picked him.

Chilz thought he could play SG when we took him and would be a solid scoring starter

Smoove, was on the fence because we needed a PG and Jameer Nelson was still on the board when we took him

Those are my big three wrongs under BK but I am a homer and always think the one we take will be at least a starter.If we would have taken Deron or Paul, I would not have been a hater. Thought that draft class was very deep and no matter who we took between those three we had us a sue fire big time starter for years to come. Wrong answer as far as Marvin goes. I liked the Ivey and Acie picks as well. About the only picks I flat out did not like were Shelden and Pape.

Even though I didn't like the Marvin pick (I wanted Bogut and Paul in that order). I too thought MW would probably be what Wilson Chandler is...like maybe a 15-18 ppg SF. In hindsight, it was probably wishful thinking. I think a lot of us have been wrong against our better judgment because we were hoping, and this team kept squashing our hope.

I also never thought Al Horford would be quite as good as he is.

Actually, I admit that I thought LD was a good coach for this team. I may be wrong or right, but only time will tell. As it is turning out.. I'm wrong as of now, but we can't forget this is his first year being a head coach with a bunch of hard headed players (mainly Josh). I'm assuming we don't fire him no matter what the scenario is after playoffs. A good coach will make the changes in the playoffs, along with our players. Time will only tell.

Edit: Also, is there any time of the year where the fans can ask the coach questions? I think I remember that being possible, and it may of already happened this year. If I can any feedback on this, I'd appreciate it. I want to ask him a few questions (not that it won't matter for the fact he won't put thought in it) about why Jamal plays almost the whole entire 2nd half.

Edited by AHawks89

I have to agree with most of the wrongs on that have been posted. Like Yi having the potential to be a really good player.

Here is the one that keeps getting me:

I thought the ASG would become a good ownership group once the lawsuit with Belkin was over. UGH.

Here is the one that keeps getting me:

I thought the ASG would become a good ownership group once the lawsuit with Belkin was over. UGH.

Ever since the JJ trade the ASG have been suckers in my mind, at least Belkin was shrewd enough to see and knew he had only one option to be successful with this group (if he doesn't make the move, he would have been along for the ride of how to destroy a franchise's current value).

I remember in the 2007 draft I argued that we should go with Conley instead of Horford. Thats not where I was necessarily wrong, it was my subsequent argument that made me very wrong. I argued the Horford was only a slightly better version of Shelden. Boy was I wrong there.

One time I got into an argument with a certain nameless poster about Zaza's defensive rebounding. I predicted he would be an above average defensive rebounder for that particular season. Turns out Zaza was only average that season. And now that Zaza has his new contract his defensive rebounding numbers have fallen off of that previous level.

There are most definitely others that I can't/won't recall right now for whatever reason. This thread is kind of interesting though, because it almost implies that this board is quick to toots its horn when they are right. I don't think this is the case, there are a few "loudmouth" posters who are quick to say "Look I told you, neener neener!" but the average poster on here doesn't go around tooting their horn for reading the tea leafs correctly. It only seems like many posters on here toot their horn because the few that actually do are usually very loud/active on this board.

Even though I didn't like the Marvin pick (I wanted Bogut and Paul in that order). I too thought MW would probably be what Wilson Chandler is...like maybe a 15-18 ppg SF. In hindsight, it was probably wishful thinking. I think a lot of us have been wrong against our better judgment because we were hoping, and this team kept squashing our hope.

I also never thought Al Horford would be quite as good as he is.

Well if you wanted Marvin to be Chandler then rest assured that you aren't wrong unless you consider Chandler taking 5 more shots to get 4 more points puts him in a class greater than Marvin.

Well if you wanted Marvin to be Chandler then rest assured that you aren't wrong unless you consider Chandler taking 5 more shots to get 4 more points puts him in a class greater than Marvin.

Meh, maybe you're right. I think at the time I said he might be like Mashburn...I may have even bit on the James Worthy hype, sadly, but I was really thinking he might score 15-18 with pretty good efficiency on mid-range shots. Needless to say, he's disappointed me, even with my middling expectations.

I figured we would not have a better record than last year (new offense and coach) but I thought we would struggle early on and by this time of the season we would be going gang busters and be ready for the playoffs...boy was I dead WRONG, we are regressing.

I was wrong years ago for wanting to sign Kmart and Dampier in the same offseason. That would have been a disaster.

Thought Salim had a chance to be a star after watching him score 37 points in that one game against the Hornets.

I also was wrong about the housing bubble.

I was not wrong about drafting Marvin. We just didn't need another tweener forward. I wanted Deron Williams. However, having said that there are many things I have been wrong about:

Every year I think that maybe Smith and Marvin will figure out their niche and play accordingly. Wrong.

I thought Drew would be an improvement over Woodson. Turns out both are lousy.

I thought we'd be ok with Al at center. Meh...

I thought Chills would be better than he has turned out.

I thought that the players would be glad to get a PG who at least attempts to play defense, but instead they won't even pass the #$%@ ball to him.

I thought we had more potential in the playoffs this year. Boy, was I ever wrong there.

Things I was wrong on:

- I did not think trading for Joe Jackson and Isiah Rider would be a disaster

- I liked the trade for SAR initially

- I wanted Conley over Horford

- I thought trading for Jamal Crawford was a terrible idea (still don't believe it was in the Hawks long term best interest)

- I would have paid Joe Johnson too, given the other roster limitations

Things I was right about:

- Big Dog trade was a stinker from the start

- JT for Walker was a stinker

- Iggy, not Childress, should have been the pick

- Chris Paul over Marvin, by a wide margin

- Collison over Teague

- BK, Woody, Drew, Sund and the Atlanta Spirit all sucking

What were Acie and Speedy going to do for us?

Nothing. That is not the point. The point is the direction and composition of the team. They needed to focus their limited assets on acquiring a defensive oriented big man, a big man with a post-up game or someone that can slash to the basket. Adding a volume jumpshooter who does not play defense to a jumpshooting team with a terrible defensive point guard was not the right direction to take in the grand scheme of things.