• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Looking Back - Was Hinrich trade a bad move?

JackB1

Yes it was a mistake, we gave up way too much. Hinrich isn't that good. Plus look how Evans and Jordan Crawford have performed...it's obvious to me that the problem was coaching and/or our flawed roster. When you also look at how we threw in a first-round pick that we desperately need for a talent infusion and...we totally lost this trade.

Rick Sund: I feel that the full impact of the Kirk Hinrich trade cannot be determined fully until the playoffs and next season when he replaces Jamal as our combo guard off the bench that everybody thinks expiring should be flipped for a longer term piece but won't to continue our theme of cap flexibility.

• Premium Member

Bad move then, bad move now. Not only do we Hawks fans severely overrate the players on this roster but we severely overrate Rick Sund.

• Like 1

Bad move then, bad move now. Not only do we Hawks fans severely overrate the players on this roster but we severely overrate Rick Sund.

I cant think of 1 person who'd overrate Rick freakin Sund. Are u kidding me? Sund is a yes man. The ASG is running this team. So I mostly base my opinions of Sund from his days in Seattle. I dont know who makes the decisions around here. It for damn sure wasnt BK, so it probably isnt Rick either. How the hell you gonna tell your GM he cant fire the coach that he hired himself? lol

I cant think of 1 person who'd overrate Rick freakin Sund. Are u kidding me? Sund is a yes man. The ASG is running this team. So I mostly base my opinions of Sund from his days in Seattle. I dont know who makes the decisions around here. It for damn sure wasnt BK, so it probably isnt Rick either. How the hell you gonna tell your GM he cant fire the coach that he hired himself? lol

I think high of Sund. He made the moves he had to make. Losing Jordan sucks and he knows it but we needed Hinrich contract. The Joe signing is questionable but we need Joe if he are expecting to ever contend in the future. Josh Smith resigning is the only move I really didn't like but the rest was okay. Bibby wanted too many yrs but looking at us now, it's clear Bibby had more value than ppl on here are willing to admit. I don't think he's an elite GM but he's done a good job in the draft and a solid job in terms of FA's. The Jamal trade was a huge coup. The Hinrich trade was a great trade as it finally answer the lateral posters questions about making an upgrade when the only upgrade that we need is a superstar. More importantly, Hinrich is the best value for what we got and he is a solid PG. It also got us the large contract we need if we want any chance at CP3 or D12. I don't really dislike that trade.

Horford lost some value since Hinrich isn't any good at creating for others but Hinrich is better overall on defense and his offense is on par with Bibby. What upgrade could we have made? Rondo is not available. Nash wasn't this year. Westbrook? Deron? CP3 wasn't available this year. Seriously, he's a solid PG, that's the best we could have gotten. Almost all PG's who can create for others really aren't available at the deadline. Devin Harris, Andre Miller, and Kurt Hinrich was the best available.

I think high of Sund. He made the moves he had to make. Losing Jordan sucks and he knows it but we needed Hinrich contract.

Isn't Bibby's contract better though? Worse case scenario we could of bought Bibby out for cheap and kept our future.

Edited by GameTime

Isn't Bibby's contract better though? Worse case scenario we could of bought Bibby out for cheap and kept our future.

He wasn't going to take a buyout from us, only with scrubs like Washington. Hinrich contract is large money, still holds value around the league as a solid PG and teams like LAL will be interested.

I wasn't all that thrilled with the Hinrich trade to begin with, because I thought we'd given up too much for an older player who was on the decline, and especially as compared to the rumored Ramon Sessions trade we were talking with the Cavs at the time. Now that to me seemed like a heck of a trade, basically giving up a platter of crap for the possibility of acquiring a young and talented PG who still had upward potential as opposed to one who's best days were behind him, but for whatever reason that Sessions trade did not happen. Hinrich to me seemed like more of a stop-gap type move and somewhat of a token effort, whereas Sessions in my opinion offered help right now and much more importantly for the future, and we reportedly could have gotten him for disposable pieces and not had to send off our draft pick.

Kirk is better than Bibby. The trade would've been fine if we threw in Teague instead of Jordan Crawford. Jordan Crawford is now ranked fourth among all rookies in the league behind Blake Griffin, John Wall, and DeMarcus Cousins. This guy is off the charts. He had a 39-point game. Then he got a triple-double. He is great. The trade would've been fine without him included.

• Premium Member

The particulars of the trade are these:

1. Bibby Sucked.

2. Hinrich is better than Bibby.

3. Crawford was not going to play this year and probably not next year either.

4. CapN Kirk's Contract is more valuable than Bibby's.

The deal became a win-win.

Washington won because they found fruit in the form of Crawford. This became what the deal was for them. They bought out Bibby.

We won because we got a better defensive PG who can help us in a 7 game series.

Now. The only response that there willbe is about Crawford... but the truth is that he would have never played here. Teague has been with us 2 years and have shown more signs than Crawford did while he was here and Teague still gets the DNP.

• Like 1

Diesel . . the difference is that there SHOULD be no Jamal Crawford here after this season. They had every intention on not giving him a contract extension so as to let his contract expire. Unless he comes back for a significant discount, Jordan was lined up to take over the backup SG spot. In fact, Jamal and Mo expire this year. Both are technically our backup SGs.

Teague's DNP's SHOULD end too, with the departure of Jamal. So his departure, plus the shedding of Mo, would've opened up playing time for both Teague and Jordan.

The sad thing is that in the brief times these two played together, they seemed to have much more chemistry with each other, than Teague has with Jamal.

This is what we would've had signed, had the Bibby trade not gone down.

C - Horford

PF - Smith

F - Williams

G - Johnson

PG - Bibby

PG - Teague

SG - Jordan

C - Zaza

That's it. 8 players would've been under contract.

The only way Jordan and Teague WOULDN'T play next season, is if the minimum vet guys we bring in are better than both Teague and Jordan. And contrary to popular belief, a guy like Damien Wilkins is NOT better than Jordan Crawford and arguably not better than Teague.. And their potential clearly is much higher than Damien's.

Damien shouldn't even be on the team anyway. When JJ went down in December, that was the time to work both Teague and Jordan into the lineup.

Sund messed this up every which way he could, by panicking. Overpaying for what is essentially a high quality backup PG may very well come back to bite us in the butt.

God forbid that 3 years later, we're talking about Jordan Crawford in the same way that we talk about Deron or Paul or Monta Ellis. Players that we definitely could've had, but our incompetent front office didn't know how to properly evaluate talent, so we didn't take them. In the case of Jordan, we simply gave him away for an overrated Hinrich that hasn't been a high level PG since the "Baby Bulls" days.

• Like 2

34-23 or 10-13? Not that hard to figure out. Even a slower older Bibby is better than a washed up Hinrich.

So you expect Kirk to come in here and just fit right in with a group as dysfunctional as this one. Wow! It's only been 23 games for crying out loud. Not to mention, the Head Coach is as clueless as they come. Edited by terrell

• Premium Member

+1 for northcyde on the Jordan Crawford/Monta Ellis comparison. Posters complained in the past about us passing on guys like Louis Williams or Monta Ellis. We actually made the RIGHT pick this time after trading down to save cash and we STILL managed to screw it up in the end. Where else could that possibly happen but here? Are we cursed??? :banghead:

So you expect Kirk to come in here and just fit right in with a group as dysfunctional as this one. Wow! It's only been 23 games for crying out loud. Not to mention, the Head Coach is as clueless as they come.

To be fair, Bibby came in trade at the same point during the 07-08 season and the team took off from there. It was like a night and day difference. Heck, Woody was the coach then.