• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Where Al, Josh and Joe stand statiscally

thecampster

• Moderators

That I can explain by a stupid RealGM sorting mechanism. They are sorting based on the raw FIC over the year, which includes the playoffs. Rondo played 105 games last year, the most out of anyone. I don't understand your Lowry example, it appears the "rankings" are just based on the sorting mechanism, but also Lowry is a marginal player whose ranking will undoubtedly go down based on other marginal players simply playing more games once the playoffs trigger the sorting mechanism's effect.

But a lot of your points are valid, there is no justification for the weights. Its just a slightly tweaked version of PER.

It isn't just the sorting. He claims that is the most meaningful metric because it reflects the total value of the player's season. He deliberately said he isn't ranking based on FIC40 or other items in there.

My point on Lowry is twofold:

First, claiming he is the 42nd best player in the NBA seems a serious stretch. That would put him as a subpar #1 or strong #2 player on someone's roster - certainly in the top 10% of all players in the NBA. That ranking seems hard to understand like the Calderon one: 2010-11 Jose Calderon > Joe Johnson, Tyson Chandler, Danny Granger, Gerald Wallace, Brook Lopez, Chauncey Billups, etc.

Your suggestion that Lowry is a marginal player is my point as the metric suggests he is a top player.

Second, Lowry's performance between last season and this season only significantly varied in that he missed a baker's dozen games last season. So how meaningful is a stat used to appraise players when just over a stretch moves that player from 42nd to 138th without much change in productivity of performance? I get how he calculated the stat but the variation based on a dozen games played makes the stat hard to use to derive meaning. It seems to me that all the criticisms of PER apply here but in spades because this isn't even as refined as PER.

I thought I'd do some digging....light digging.

Checking Josh, Al and Joe per their FIC40 and Reina values (FIC is Floor Impact per 40 minutes. Reina is value for their contract.)

Al has an FIC40 of 18.2 and a Reina Value of 217% above Salary.

Josh has an FIC40 of 16.2 and a Reina Value of 40% above Salary.

Joe has an FIC 40 of 12.6 and a Reina Value of 37% below Salary.

What this means.

Al makes 5,444,857 but is performing at $17,260,197

Josh makes 11,600,000 but is performing at $16,240,000

Joe makes 16,324,500 but is performing at $10,284,435

My take on all this mess: who gives a flying Flip Murray!??!

Last time I checked, our players don't compete against each other -- they compete together against other teams.

All this Josh vs Al vs Joe vs whoever is so tiresome.

• Like 1