• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Free agent Jackson signs, sees playoff potential

Admin

Free agent Jackson signs, sees playoff potential

By MICHAEL LEE

Atlanta Journal-Constitution Staff Writer

Stephen Jackson didn't come to Atlanta expecting to sign with the Hawks on Friday. He arrived late Thursday night, packing only a duffle bag for a one-day visit.

Jackson needed only a few hours to decide, "I want to be here."

The free-agent swingman met with general manager Billy Knight; mingled with new potential owners Steve Belkin, Michael Gearon Sr. and Michael Gearon Jr; and clowned around with friends Jason Terry and Shareef Abdur-Rahim as he sat in on Hawks practice. After talking with coach Terry Stotts over lunch, Jackson, liking everything he saw and heard, walked over to Knight and said, "Let's get it done."

Knight quickly drew up the papers and before Jackson and agent Dan Fegan hopped in a limousine to catch flights, the Hawks had their starting small forward. And Jackson, who helped lead the San Antonio Spurs to an NBA title last season, was given his latest chance to establish himself in this league.

"This is the place I always wanted to be. I'm glad it could get done," Jackson said as he left the Hawks' offices in CNN Center. "It's been a hectic summer, but it just feels good being wanted."

Jackson, the best free agent remaining, found the market chilly despite establishing career highs in virtually every statistical category. The versatile 6-foot-8 wing averaged 11.8 points and 3.6 rebounds and was the Spurs' third-leading scorer behind Tim Duncan and Tony Parker this past postseason. He reportedly rejected a three-year, $10 million deal with the Spurs, and he also was considering the Clippers.

Terms of the deal were not disclosed, although he likely received much less than the Spurs offered.

"I stayed on the phone with JT and Shareef all summer," Jackson, 25, said. "There's nothing better than playing with guys you know. You play better and you're happier."

Knight was elated to finally have his roster complete after a long and tiresome offseason.

"Because of the constraints the organization has been in, and when you consider all the extraneous things that could've debilitated us this summer, we feel very good about what we were able to get done," Knight said. "We're happy with the players that we've got. We're pleased to add Stephen to our team. He's taken big shots, made big shots, made big plays for his team -- all of those things are invaluable."

But the Hawks will have to wait at least until Monday for Jackson to begin practice. Since he was unprepared to sign, Jackson had to scramble home to get his things and get prepared.

"I want to come in, help the team win, that's the main focus," said Jackson, who has averaged 9.3 points, 2.9 rebounds in three years with the Spurs and New Jersey Nets. "I think I can bring that championship mentality. Obviously, it's going to be a lot of work, [but] I'm playing with a great group of guys.

"We can be great," Jackson said. "There's not a dominant team in the East. I see us making the playoffs. It's about us wanting it as a team."

In response to your reaction, a story I believes fit.

A man comes home after a hard days work.

Wearily, he slipped off his coat.

Opening the closet door, preparing to hang up his

coat, he comes, face to face, with a man,

who is completely nude.

Taken aback, the wearn man says, "What are you

doing here?"

The naked man replies, "Everyone has to be somewhere!"

I do think his top 2 choices probably were SA and ATL. Of course he just won a title, and has Duncan over there. But he also prefers the city of atlanta, and wants to be with his buddy JT. So I don't think he's blowing total smoke when he says he wanted to be here.