• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Mic'd up timeouts have been interesting

niremetal

• Premium Member

Having the eavesdropper's seat for the timeouts has made it clear that LD not only talks about attacking the rim and moving the ball to the media. He says it to the team too. Unfortunately, it seems that the team too often tunes him out when he says those things.

Fortunately:

1) The Hawks went inside just enough down the stretch to put Jamal in position to hit the luckiest game-sealer I've ever seen. Horford went to work against Bass and Anderson repeatedly during the fourth, and JJ picked up a key-but-overlooked trip to the line with about a minute and a half left that gave D-12 his fifth foul and put the Hawks ahead.

2) He had the foresight to pull Jamal and Josh at different points in the fourth when they were making bad decisions with the ball.

But still, LD has to find a way to get the team to listen to him consistently. A coach who can't convince his team to do the right things is as useless as a coach who doesn't even tell his team to do the right things.

Edited by niremetal
  • Like 2

LD is not in charge.

Seriously, Smoove should've been out the game taking them terrible terrible shots. LD didn't pull him. He let him stay in and jeopardize the game. I was so pissed. I guess he is just worried about his job right now. But this should've been established during the regular season. You don't listen you get put on the bench. Thats why i like Pop. He yells at his stars when they don't follow his directions. Even SVG was yelling at Hedo. He even said his instructions to him twice to make sure he understood what he meant.

LD stop being scared.

I apologize for bashing LD for saying he wasn't telling them to go to the paint. He sure was when he was mic'd up.

I don't think it's as much as tuned him out as much as old habits die hard. We desperately need to win this series for a breakthrough not just for the fans and the Hawks getting more respect, but psychologically so the players will buy into LD

There may be some doubt themselves since we lost more games in the regular seaosn than last year. If we beat the Magic then these guys will know dang well we wouldn't have done that with Woody and that at the very least LD is a far more legit solution.

We need them with that kind of mentality if we face Chicago and in years to come

• Like 1

He doesn't have the balls to pull Joe or Al when they are jacking up bad shots I see ..

But that's neither here nor there, we won !!

The thing is with Horford, it's an anomaly. And sometimes you let it slide because he can knock down that shot. Horford literally lead the league in FG% from that 15 foot area

Josh Smith is one of the worst mid to deep range shooters in the entire NBA. He has no business taking those shots.

Edited by BusBoyIsBack
  • Like 2

The thing is with Horford, it's an anomaly. And sometimes you let it slide because he can knock down that shot. Horford literally lead the league in FG% from that 15 foot area

Josh Smith is one of the worst mid to deep range shooters in the entire NBA. He has no business taking those shots.

I don't expect anyone to agree with what I said on here, y'all love AL too much to call him out when he does anything bad/wrong.

• Like 2

• Premium Member

I don't expect anyone to agree with what I said on here, y'all love AL too much to call him out when he does anything bad/wrong.

I don't know if you noticed, but every former coach and player who commentates Hawks games says that Josh shouldn't be shooting those because that's not his game. They don't do the same for Joe and Al. There's a reason for that: Josh has been missing those shots for pretty much his entire career, while Al has been one of the best mid-range shooters in the game the past two years, and JJ has a long history of being one of the best perimeter shooters in the league. So don't pretend it's just people on Hawksquawk who say this stuff.

Now should Al and JJ drive to the hole more? Of course. But is a 18+ foot jumper a way worse shot for Josh than it is for JJ and Al? Of course.

Edited by niremetal
  • Like 2

• Premium Member

To be competely fair about this, you are actually kinda right. Late in Game 2 Horf took and missed a step back fadeaway AND a three at a time when we could've won hte game. Both of those shots were ill timed and outside his comfort zone. To be fair, not much was said about that at all. If Smoove had taken those shots, there would be a 4 page thread on it. I guess the bottom line is we need BOTH of these guys to play up to their potential. They BOTH should spend more time inside than outside.

If Smoove had taken those shots, there would be a 4 page thread on it.

That's because Al does those rarely, and Smoove does those all the time. That is the reason every commentator and coach in the NBA thinks that Al is one of the smartest players and Smoove is one of the dumbest players in the NBA.

Edited by jerrywest

To be competely fair about this, you are actually kinda right. Late in Game 2 Horf took and missed a step back fadeaway AND a three at a time when we could've won hte game. Both of those shots were ill timed and outside his comfort zone. To be fair, not much was said about that at all. If Smoove had taken those shots, there would be a 4 page thread on it. I guess the bottom line is we need BOTH of these guys to play up to their potential. They BOTH should spend more time inside than outside.

On that particular shot, the shot clock was going down, and Al was forced to take a bad shot. It was also a broken play, and he just had to get it up.

Like everybody else has said, Al has proven to be efficient from outside and Josh has not. Why is this continuing to be debated?

Al has his own problems, but it is NOT his mid-range game.

• Premium Member

On that particular shot, the shot clock was going down, and Al was forced to take a bad shot. It was also a broken play, and he just had to get it up.

Like everybody else has said, Al has proven to be efficient from outside and Josh has not. Why is this continuing to be debated?

Al has his own problems, but it is NOT his mid-range game.

Actually the clock was down because he spent too much time dribbling between his legs. It was a bad posession capped off by a bad shot. No way to rationalize it. I'm just being honest about it.

I think Smoove on the 3pt line is partially out of habit and partially trying to get proper spacing. Things like the Jamal shot are probably just in the heat of the moment. It's good to know that it's an execution issue as opposed to a coaching mentality issue (a la Woody).

The thing with Smoove is, he's going to keep taking those shots, we all know it. Sooner or later, hopefully, sooner, he's going to hit a few in a row. He'll make a couple three's and we'll be singing his praises. It's just the player he is, and will always be. Good or bad, he's important to the success of this team. I've accepted he is who he is...

The thing with Smoove is, he's going to keep taking those shots, we all know it. Sooner or later, hopefully, sooner, he's going to hit a few in a row. He'll make a couple three's and we'll be singing his praises. It's just the player he is, and will always be. Good or bad, he's important to the success of this team. I've accepted he is who he is...

The thing is if he had a coach who told him those shots were unacceptable earlier in his career by putting him on the bench, maybe he doesn't take those shots anymore

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

Having the eavesdropper's seat for the timeouts has made it clear that LD not only talks about attacking the rim and moving the ball to the media. He says it to the team too. Unfortunately, it seems that the team too often tunes him out when he says those things.

Fortunately:

1) The Hawks went inside just enough down the stretch to put Jamal in position to hit the luckiest game-sealer I've ever seen. Horford went to work against Bass and Anderson repeatedly during the fourth, and JJ picked up a key-but-overlooked trip to the line with about a minute and a half left that gave D-12 his fifth foul and put the Hawks ahead.

2) He had the foresight to pull Jamal and Josh at different points in the fourth when they were making bad decisions with the ball.

But still, LD has to find a way to get the team to listen to him consistently. A coach who can't convince his team to do the right things is as useless as a coach who doesn't even tell his team to do the right things.

This thread needs to be bumped. It's sickening to hear LD to tell the team exactly what they need to do during timeouts...and then see the team go out and not do it.

I'm writing this at the beginning of the third quarter in game 3. I feel like the team has got until the end of the first quarter of game 4 to figure it out before the season is lost.