Horf is a Center.

MVP23

For 3,4 years we've been hearing how if only we got a true Center, Horf could slide to the 4 and be unstoppable. Horf has the body of a center. He has some nice post moves, and can stretch it out with that 15 footer that I love. He is tough. He BELONGS in the paint, not 20 feet from the basket guarding guys like Chris Bosh. I understand not wanting Horf to play Dwight, but other than Dwight, who can't Horf defend? I can't think of any Center in the league Horf can't go toe to toe with. We have to call a spade a spade at this point. Al Horford is a center.

• Like 4

For 3,4 years we've been hearing how if only we got a true Center, Horf could slide to the 4 and be unstoppable. Horf has the body of a center. He has some nice post moves, and can stretch it out with that 15 footer that I love. He is tough. He BELONGS in the paint, not 20 feet from the basket guarding guys like Chris Bosh. I understand not wanting Horf to play Dwight, but other than Dwight, who can't Horf defend? I can't think of any Center in the league Horf can't go toe to toe with. We have to call a spade a spade at this point. Al Horford is a center.

+1

Spot on.

When you look at it, Al isn't ALL that undersized at 6'10, 245 lb, but Dwight isn't the only one he can't guard. Al constantly struggles against Nene, Brook Lopez, Bogut, Marc Gasol, and Bynum.

I don't know if you can say he CONSISTENTLY struggles against guys that we play twice a year (Bynum, MGasol, and Nene).

When you look at it, Al isn't ALL that undersized at 6'10, 245 lb, but Dwight isn't the only one he can't guard. Al constantly struggles against Nene, Brook Lopez, Bogut, Marc Gasol, and Bynum.

And, Al isn't even 6'10. He's more like 6'9 with a standing reach generally much shorter than nearly every non-Chuck Hayes Center in the league. Makes it even harder to guard other Centers.

Horford is nice--but not ideal--at Center with our current group, but we DESPERATELY need a skilled tree who can rebound and defend at a somewhat high level to contend with other big men in the league.

And, Al isn't even 6'10. He's more like 6'9 with a standing reach generally much shorter than nearly every non-Chuck Hayes Center in the league. Makes it even harder to guard other Centers.

Horford is nice--but not ideal--at Center with our current group, but we DESPERATELY need a skilled tree who can rebound and defend at a somewhat high level to contend with other big men in the league.

Nene is a beast on defense, wish there was some way to pry him away from the nuggets.

I might be wrong but I thought I read somewhere a couple of months ago that Al Horford's dad (ex-NBA player Tito Horford) was asking the Hawks to get someone else to play Center so his son could play his Natural position which according to him is the Forward position.

If used correctly, Horford would be a beast at the PF position, he can post up or stretch the D out with long jumpers.

Personally, I like our big lineup with Collins starting. He might not score much but he plays solid D.

• Premium Member

Had to delete my post. I forgot that you're not allowed to criticize Horford on here. :banghead:

Funny how the only people that complain about the board being too easy on Horford are the ones who reflexively defend Smoove.

• Like 1

• Admin

Most PFs play in the paint. Horford is definitely a PF playing center. One of the big problems is these bigger guys just banging him all the time. He is matching up against players bigger then him night after night. Having him at PF would be a much better option for us although having Collins as our longterm starter is not a good idea either.

Horford can get away with playing center because this is the worst center era in the history of the league. There are only a handful of guys who he can't matchup against and most of them are in the Western Conference. Dwight Howard is just about the only guy in the East where we are forced to put Horford at PF

• Premium Member

I have heard all the opinions, now time for some truth.

Al is a big PF or an undersized C. The book of Wooden says that you are what you defend. Well, Horford is not Ben Wallace. Horf is an average defender at the C position in a time when Big Cs are starting to make a comeback. Honestly, there are some guys that are just too strong for Al. Al is not a great post defender and on offense, he does play like a PF. He has no back to the basket game whatsoever (offense or defense). So what is he. He's a 4-5 tweener and that's how we have used him. I believe as time goes on, his psyche will overcome any desire that anybody else has of keeping him a center. We already have seen some of this before he resigned with us. He and his father asked for him to be moved to prolong his career. I think it's something that would benefit Atlanta if we plan to keep him.