• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Josh Smith in this Series

DJlaysitup

There have many comments on Smoove's performance this series - and I will admit that I am a Smoove defender because I value him as and intimidating inside force and a sort of "self made player" (he sure didn't learn offense from Woody)...but facts are facts so here they are:

Smoove shot 34 for 81 for the series. He also had 49 rebounds in 6 games. He also had some blocks and some inside intimidations, but those were offset by some dumb passes and some turnovers.

In a game like tonight's KEY game I give him credit for coming out with bigtime energy and willingness - I also give him props for going 2-2 from the line early which I think helped set the tone for our overall free throw shooting (14 for 15).

Other than that though - he was 3 for 14 from the field and only collected 4 rebounds. Many of his shots (even the ones within 6 to 8 feet) weren't even close (multiple airballs). I would say that either (1) Smoove really doesn't have a tried and true short-to-midrange game, or (2) he was totally intimidated by Dwight on the inside.........and it could be both.

So how does this set up for the next series against CHI? Personally, I am not one to give Marvin the nod at the SF position off of a couple nice shots. I have been teased by him before only to see him wilt under the pressure of a big game. As much as I appreciate Marvin being a really big part of our win tonight I can't see him being the factor against CHI that Smoove can be (been fooled before)...I just hope Smoove won't be as intimidated as far as going to the hoop against CHI since they don't have his "ole buddy" Dwight.

The problem with Josh is that he thinks that he can help the team so much, but in reality his main strengths are rebounding and blocking shots. When he goes away from that he is detrimental to the team. So far in the Magic series he has taken bad shots as well as bad passes (which could also be said about the team as a whole, especially Joe)....

Agreed Supp...If AL was 6-11 and a 1/2...instead of 6-9 and a 1/2 Smoove would be a great PF on a dominating inside team. Problem is - you just can't go 6-9 1/2© - 6-8(PF) - and 6-9 who plays like he's 6-7 (SF) and expect to be successful in the NBA playoffs. You gotta have size.

As has been already posted - we may go much more with just AL and Zaza at center against CHI...with Collins at fill-in minutes. That would put Smoove at PF for half the game and could help considerably if the SF produces. Actually - If Kirk were to be healthy I'd like to see JJ playing some SF against CHI.

Oh Well - we will see what the Wiz (LD) comes up with :derisive:

The problem with Josh is that he thinks that he can help the team so much, but in reality his main strengths are rebounding and blocking shots. When he goes away from that he is detrimental to the team. So far in the Magic series he has taken bad shots as well as bad passes (which could also be said about the team as a whole, especially Joe). However I do applaud him for his effort against Hedo and the timely block shots that he had, and his second most important play, the spin dunk which set the momentum for the team. Oh and it's not like Smoove is intimidated by Dwight like Joe, with his athleticism he should be a beast inside, but decides not to.

Had to +1 this.

Smoove was VERY frustrating to watch in that series. And he missed so many cheapies right at the rim last night. Overall in the series, he probably played at like a B- level...and that isn't quite good enough. We need him to play much better than that against the Bulls to have a chance.

The rest of the team needs to follow suit.

The problem with Josh is that he thinks that he can help the team so much, but in reality his main strengths are rebounding and blocking shots. When he goes away from that he is detrimental to the team. So far in the Magic series he has taken bad shots as well as bad passes (which could also be said about the team as a whole, especially Joe). However I do applaud him for his effort against Hedo and the timely block shots that he had, and his second most important play, the spin dunk which set the momentum for the team. Oh and it's not like Smoove is intimidated by Dwight like Joe, with his athleticism he should be a beast inside, but decides not to.

Don't know if you saw this or not but he hobbled a few times getting through the lane on D. He's playing hurt. It's not an excuse, it's just perspective. Don't be surprised if after the season you hear he got work done on his knees. Just saying.

• Moderators

Trivial Trivia: Which player led the four remaining Eastern Conference teams in Blocked Shots (regular season)?

They may come in handy next series. On both ends of the floor against the Bulls, Smoove's shadow should not be seen anywhere near the 3-point line. And if he is on offense, boo to whoever hands him the ball out there.

~lw3

I would feel extremely confident about the series if someone could promise me that Josh wouldn't take a single jump shot. I know that would never happen, but Boozer is another guy who shouldn't be able to stop Josh and this time he doesn't need to worry about Howard coming over to help. Josh and Horford have the advantage in this series. They can win it for us.

Josh was hanging around the perimeter on offense in Game 6 about 80% of the time.

He is useless out there. I noticed the other guys aren't passing to him as much

when he is parking himself at the arc.

I think Josh's main problem is LAZINESS

Refreshing to see some reality on here.

Many are simply dilusional when it come to #5 as far as the excuse making goes.

I do think he will have a much better series vs. Chicago where he can play PF much more. I'm interested in seeing if there will be any noticeable difference in the amount of time #5 spends on the perimiter when on offense when playing PF compared to SF in the Magic series.

Yeah, If I had one beef with Larry is his offensive system, where the plays are run on one freakin side of the floor all the time. BUT, the person doubled HAS to make the quick pass out of the double so that the defense can't react, and the ball HAS to swing to the other side of the court, and if it's a guy like Josh receiving the ball he has to use the Defense's slow reaction to go into the paint and create something. IMO I think that's what Larry's trying to do because he has guys that get doubled on a constant basis, he is trying to use that to the team's advantage, unfortunately the Hawks have played woody ball for so long, the guy being doubled either forces up a bad shot or the guys don't make crisp passes.

Don't know if you saw this or not but he hobbled a few times getting through the lane on D. He's playing hurt. It's not an excuse, it's just perspective. Don't be surprised if after the season you hear he got work done on his knees. Just saying.

If Josh loses any of his athleticism, his game is going to decline rapidly unless he starts playing smarter and knocking down open J's like Amare.

This has to be an offensive design flaw. Marv hangs out on the perimeter when he's at SF too. When they ran plays for him to post up, he went in the paint. I'm more than convinced that he's just running the plays called.

BINGO!!!! cupie doll for you HNJ...:bedtime2: ......

If Josh loses any of his athleticism, his game is going to decline rapidly unless he starts playing smarter and knocking down open J's like Amare.

Oh PLease....Josh Smith is losing his athleticism at his age like you are losing your fat @ss.:beathorse:

BINGO!!!! cupie doll for you HNJ...:bedtime2: ......

Oh PLease....Josh Smith is losing his athleticism at his age like you are losing your fat @ss.:beathorse:

We are already seeing him get fatter, and I rarely see any of his chasedown blocks anymore, you can't blame that on him being a SF! :stirthepot: