• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawks conundrum

Swatguy

Whether the pundits, fans or opponents (see Orlando) accept. The Hawks are an "Elite Team".

Reaching the second round means such and three years in a row solidifies it regardless of the outcomes. Defeating Orlando has keep us in the "Elite Eight" of the NBA but, what to do to remain in the realm.

1) Ownership has to step up significantly. The significant portion is "monies" to spend.

2) Personnel has to be added. Acquiring Hienrich and Damien were big this year but next year more is needed. While Jamal still wants to be here we need to secure his services. That should be number one. I am no longer of the mind to trade away anyone but of the mind to Add to the mix. So FA is what is needed. This playoff surge is great for national exposure and for FA's giving us a look they may not have given.

So, my hope is for more monies to Add (not trade) to the roster. Of course the areas remain the same, Point and Center because Hienrich is in his last year of his contract. Another Zaza is welcome.

Add not trade.

Until the new CBA comes out, I don't think we can really figure out what the next steps need to be for the Hawks. A trade will probably be necessary to even out the roster as there will not be enough room under whatever cap to just acquire a vet that can fill our significant needs. Plus, we have a log-jam at PF.

Until the new CBA comes out, I don't think we can really figure out what the next steps need to be for the Hawks. A trade will probably be necessary to even out the roster as there will not be enough room under whatever cap to just acquire a vet that can fill our significant needs. Plus, we have a log-jam at PF.

Regardless of the CBA, we know we need new money. Regardless of the CBA we will have to find a way to restucture or go into what may be a "Tax" to remain in the hunt of a title. Bottom line, we've got a good thing and we need to hold on to what we got and add.

Regardless of the CBA, we know we need new money. Regardless of the CBA we will have to find a way to restucture or go into what may be a "Tax" to remain in the hunt of a title. Bottom line, we've got a good thing and we need to hold on to what we got and add.

The only way for teams over the salary cap to add free agents they do not have rights to, is to use exceptions like the MLE and LLE under the current CBA.

There is more to it then just adding more money. We could have all the money in the world but the biggest contract we can offer is the MLE of around $6 mill per year unless the salary cap goes up in the new CBA.

The problem with talk radio and the majority of their callers is that hey have all these ideas that are impossible under the current CBA.

Edited by coachx

This isn't the NFL you can't restructure, assuming that it's contracts that you are referring to. We don't know whether there will be a tax or what that tax limit will be set at if there is one or what the penalty for being over will be. We don't know whether max contracts like Joe's will be altered or anything like that.

I will agree that we need to add to what we have and that's been the motto of the franchise for 7 years now so I don't see that changing unless we absolutely fall apart in these playoffs from here on out and I don't see that happening.

if we're resigning Jamal, no need to spend extra on another PG. We're in a good situation -- as Kirk's big contract expires next season, Teague will be ready to take the realms at about 8 million less.

As with the bigs, just hang on to Collins and Zaza - I don't think Hilton and Etan are worth spending money on. I'd rather give the roster spot to Pape Sy

Vince Carter or Tracy Mcgrady would be good pickups at modest prices..we need an upgrade at the small forward position..someone who can get to the free throw line..people are mainly down on Vince because of his lack of defense but wit Joe we have someone who can match up wit the tough perimeter scorers..most teams only have one superstar wing and Joe can handle those assignments...Vince can matchup wit the JJ redicks and Keith Bogans of the world..Vince for 3 mil would be an excellent addition or T Mac.

• Moderators

I don't think we can be called an elite team yet. Making it to the second round doesn't make you elite especially in the east. We got to the second round the last two years by beating bad teams and then were demolished. This year we beat a decent team that traded major pieces mid-season in desperation. If we advance to the ECF then certainly we can claim to be an elite team. I agree to stay there we will need more talent.

We need Dwight to pull a Melo. Then send Horford and Marvin to Orlando for him. To me that's better than what LA can give him. Dwight will still be in his prime by the time Kobe retires and leaves him with Kung Pao chicken and Luke Walton. I love Jamal, but I say we let him go and pick up J.R. Smith. He's the same player but 6 years younger.

Whether the pundits, fans or opponents (see Orlando) accept. The Hawks are an "Elite Team".

Reaching the second round means such and three years in a row solidifies it regardless of the outcomes. Defeating Orlando has keep us in the "Elite Eight" of the NBA but, what to do to remain in the realm.

1) Ownership has to step up significantly. The significant portion is "monies" to spend.

2) Personnel has to be added. Acquiring Hienrich and Damien were big this year but next year more is needed. While Jamal still wants to be here we need to secure his services. That should be number one. I am no longer of the mind to trade away anyone but of the mind to Add to the mix. So FA is what is needed. This playoff surge is great for national exposure and for FA's giving us a look they may not have given.

So, my hope is for more monies to Add (not trade) to the roster. Of course the areas remain the same, Point and Center because Hienrich is in his last year of his contract. Another Zaza is welcome.

Add not trade.

This is not college basketball. There is no such thing as an "Elite Eight" in the NBA playoffs.

The "Elite Eight" in college basketball means that you've already gone through 3 rounds of the tournament, playing at least one game vs a top level opponent during the 2nd round or the Sweet 16. If anything, the Conference semifinals are equivalent to the Sweet 16. And a team that consistently makes the Sweet 16 in college is NOT an "elite" program in Division I basketball. It's a good program, but not an elite one.

The Hawks are a good team. But reaching the 2nd round, and having a 1 - 8 record in the 2nd Round with 7 or 8 blowouts, does NOT make you an elite team. This team has to reach the Conference Finals to even be talked about as being "elite".

As far as monies being added, I'll go back to what I've talked about over the years on here. And people don't like when I talk about it.

But as long as fan attendance isn't in the top 10 in the league, despite us being in or close to the top 10, the monies that people talk about will NEVER be spent on upgrading this roster. We were 22nd in attendance this year, with attendance dropping for the 2nd year in a row. If the owners can't recoup what they pay out in Luxury Tax, by having Philips sold out 80% of the time, they're just not going to spend that money. At that point, we're forced to make wise personnel decisions on young players and veteran free agents.

With us having a 64 million dollar payroll between 7 players next year, it's going to be extremely hard for the Hawks to add quality players to the mix, without trading someone SIGNIFICANT, or making damn good evaulations on draft picks and free agents. Oops . . we've traded "you know who", plus another guy we could've chosen in the 1st round this summer. So we're only left with trade options or minimum free agent pickups.

It is what it is. We're not elite, and we don't have nowhere close to an elite front office. What we have to hope, is for the guys we have on the squad now, can keep improving as players. If Teague makes a significant jump next year, along with improvements from Horford and Smith . . with JJ playing at the level he's playing at now . . we'll still be a playoff team that can make it to the 2nd round.

But don't believe that Sund definition of "elite", because we're not elite yet. One win in Chicago does not make us elite. Win the dang series first.

Edited by northcyde

This is not college basketball. There is no such thing as an "Elite Eight" in the NBA playoffs.

The "Elite Eight" in college basketball means that you've already gone through 3 rounds of the tournament, playing at least one game vs a top level opponent during the 2nd round or the Sweet 16. If anything, the Conference semifinals are equivalent to the Sweet 16. And a team that consistently makes the Sweet 16 in college is NOT an "elite" program in Division I basketball. It's a good program, but not an elite one.

The Hawks are a good team. But reaching the 2nd round, and having a 1 - 8 record in the 2nd Round with 7 or 8 blowouts, does NOT make you an elite team. This team has to reach the Conference Finals to even be talked about as being "elite".

As far as monies being added, I'll go back to what I've talked about over the years on here. And people don't like when I talk about it.

But as long as fan attendance isn't in the top 10 in the league, despite us being in or close to the top 10, the monies that people talk about will NEVER be spent on upgrading this roster. We were 22nd in attendance this year, with attendance dropping for the 2nd year in a row. If the owners can't recoup what they pay out in Luxury Tax, by having Philips sold out 80% of the time, they're just not going to spend that money. At that point, we're forced to make wise personnel decisions on young players and veteran free agents.

With us having a 64 million dollar payroll between 7 players next year, it's going to be extremely hard for the Hawks to add quality players to the mix, without trading someone SIGNIFICANT, or making damn good evaulations on draft picks and free agents. Oops . . we've traded "you know who", plus another guy we could've chosen in the 1st round this summer. So we're only left with trade options or minimum free agent pickups.

It is what it is. We're not elite, and we don't have nowhere close to an elite front office. What we have to hope, is for the guys we have on the squad now, can keep improving as players. If Teague makes a significant jump next year, along with improvements from Horford and Smith . . with JJ playing at the level he's playing at now . . we'll still be a playoff team that can make it to the 2nd round.

But don't believe that Sund definition of "elite", because we're not elite yet. One win in Chicago does not make us elite. Win the dang series first.

When a team advances to the second round, HALF of the playoff field is gone fishing. That team is positioned to play for a championship (Conference Championship). 4 teams remain in each conference while three times that number are on vacation. These are earned special teams, elite teams in this league. You may debate the quality of the league or conference but the teams playing now are the elite teams. 'Cyde you may be forgiven for comparing the college tourny to these professionals competing in 4 of 7 series. It is a bit different.

Only three (I believe) other remaining teams have reached the second round the last three seasons LA, Boston and Dallas.

So, you play an 82 schedule season and position yourself to move into the Conference championship you've done good. To do that three years in a row you are a staple fore every March you are still playing. Yeah the Hawks are an elite team.

Edited by Swatguy

When a team advances to the second round, HALF of the playoff field is gone fishing. That team is positioned to play for a championship (Conference Championship). 4 teams remain in each conference while three times that number are on vacation. These are earned special teams, elite teams in this league. You may debate the quality of the league or conference but the teams playing now are the elite teams. 'Cyde you may be forgiven for comparing the college tourny to these professionals competing in 4 of 7 series. It is a bit different.

Only three (I believe) other remaining teams have reached the second round the last three seasons LA, Boston and Dallas.

So, you play an 82 schedule season and position yourself to move into the Conference championship you've done good. To do that three years in a row you are a staple fore every March you are still playing. Yeah the Hawks are an elite team.

I have to disagree. Being in the remaining 25% of teams hardly qualifies as elite. If the Hawks had showed up in the 2nd round of either or both of the past 2 playoffs then yeah this year would make us an elite team. The fact that we got obliterated in those rounds and have at this point only one 1 game in the 2nd round means that we're not elite. The Celtics are elite as they are in the conference or NBA finals on a year basis. Same for the Lakers. Despite the 1st round loss this year the Magic are elite, although without big changes they won't remain that way. Elite is a very special term that should only be reserved for teams who are regulars in the conference and NBA finals and there are only a few of those teams. Hopefully we're on our way there but we're not there yet.

I have to disagree. Being in the remaining 25% of teams hardly qualifies as elite. If the Hawks had showed up in the 2nd round of either or both of the past 2 playoffs then yeah this year would make us an elite team. The fact that we got obliterated in those rounds and have at this point only one 1 game in the 2nd round means that we're not elite. The Celtics are elite as they are in the conference or NBA finals on a year basis. Same for the Lakers. Despite the 1st round loss this year the Magic are elite, although without big changes they won't remain that way. Elite is a very special term that should only be reserved for teams who are regulars in the conference and NBA finals and there are only a few of those teams. Hopefully we're on our way there but we're not there yet.

That doesn't quite hold water. You have Orlando as an elite team but Atlanta not. Well if Atlanta is Not an elite team neither are the Magic. Question, is Miami elite? Chicago? OKC? Dallas? Are they?

That doesn't quite hold water. You have Orlando as an elite team but Atlanta not. Well if Atlanta is Not an elite team neither are the Magic. Question, is Miami elite? Chicago? OKC? Dallas? Are they?

I didn't think that was confusing, Orlando was in the finals 2 years ago and in the EC finals last year so they've consistently been among the very best for multiple years in a row. They lost early this year but you can't just eliminate them after losing in one year. If they make the moves they have to make and get back to the EC finals or more next year then they're still elite .

Miami, Chicago, OKC and Dallas are not elite IMO as none of them have been to the conference finals or NBA finals in consecutive years leading up to this year.

I didn't think that was confusing, Orlando was in the finals 2 years ago and in the EC finals last year so they've consistently been among the very best for multiple years in a row. They lost early this year but you can't just eliminate them after losing in one year. If they make the moves they have to make and get back to the EC finals or more next year then they're still elite .

Miami, Chicago, OKC and Dallas are not elite IMO as none of them have been to the conference finals or NBA finals in consecutive years leading up to this year.

Elite....hmm I digress. Perhaps the question is not whether we are an elite team but, how to become one. Well again, add too not take away or trade. I do expect friday to be a win.