• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Has a team with low BBIQ ever sniffed a NBA Championship?

MVP23

Lets see

2010-Lakers High BBIQ

2009-Lakers High BBIQ

2008-Celtics High BBIQ

2007-Spurs High BBIQ

2006-Heat- Average BBIQ

2005-Spurs High BBIQ

2004-Pistons Excellent BBIQ

2003-Spurs High BBIQ

2002-Lakers...ehh I can't remember..

But you get the point. Teams with overall High BBIQ win. Simple as that. I was watching the freaking Grizzlies last night. They were down double digits most of the game. In the 4th, they made a run. They didn't jack threes. They played defense, and took smart shots. Thats why they are now legit title contenders. In that situation we're jacking threes I guarantee. I've been watching basketball for almost a decade, and I've never seen a team play as stupidly as this one, high school, college, D League, rec league, street ball or NBA. This is why I say we need to blow this up. One or two low BBIQ guys is fine, you can get by. When 5 out of the 8 guys that see the floor have low BBIQ, you're going nowhere.

Lets see

2010-Lakers High BBIQ

2009-Lakers High BBIQ

2008-Celtics High BBIQ

2007-Spurs High BBIQ

2006-Heat- Average BBIQ

2005-Spurs High BBIQ

2004-Pistons Excellent BBIQ

2003-Spurs High BBIQ

2002-Lakers...ehh I can't remember..

But you get the point. Teams with overall High BBIQ win. Simple as that. I was watching the freaking Grizzlies last night. They were down double digits most of the game. In the 4th, they made a run. They didn't jack threes. They played defense, and took smart shots. Thats why they are now legit title contenders. In that situation we're jacking threes I guarantee. I've been watching basketball for almost a decade, and I've never seen a team play as stupidly as this one, high school, college, D League, rec league, street ball or NBA. This is why I say we need to blow this up. One or two low BBIQ guys is fine, you can get by. When 5 out of the 8 guys that see the floor have low BBIQ, you're going nowhere.

Our problem isn't simply just low BBIQ on the court. Look who coached those teams as well

Phil Jackson

Pat Riley

Larry Brown

Greg Popovich

Doc Rivers

And the main players on those teams

Shaq and Kobe

Shaq and Wade

Kobe and Gasol

Billups, Hamilton and Big Ben ( with Prince and Rasheed playing significant roles as well )

Duncan, Parker, and Ginobli

Pierce, Garnett, Rondo, Allen

The fact is that championship teams not only have smart coaches, they have superstar talent, or at least multiple all-star talent playing on those teams. And every one of those teams, with the exception of the Pistons, also had the dual perimeter threat to go along with a dominant to very good inside presence.

When you look at the Memphis series, they have a borderline DOMINANT low post player in Z-Bo and a decent center in Marc Gasol. And while they're not necessarily a great defensive frontline, they're a very good offensive frontline. And most of the perimeter people on Memphis can play good to very good defense. It's the perimeter defensive prowess of Memphis, that makes them a DANGEROUS team in these playoffs. On the flip side, while the Thunder have two very good players, they don't have that inside-outside balance that most championship teams in the past has had.

The team to watch . . are the Dallas Mavericks

They have the superstar in Dirk . . they have a damn good #2 off the bench in Jason Terry . . and Tyson Chandler anchors the middle on defense, making it difficult for the opponent to score in the lane. And they can put four legit 3 point shooters on the floor if they want to. If it's Dallas vs OKC, look for the games to be a track meet. If it's Dallas vs Memphis, the Grizzlies will make Dallas grind it out and may get Chandler in foul trouble.

So it's not only that the Griz have a higher BBIQ, it's just that they're constructed much better than we are.

- JJ is very good, but not a superstar player

- Jamal is very good, but hella streaky

- Smith is very good, but way too erratic

- Horford is very good, but doesn't play like a legit big

Those 4, if they did at least one thing very well, would make us a threat to get to the next level. The problem is that they don't consistently do anything very well. They only do it pretty good. And sometimes they do it bad. And most of the other players on this squad are average to horrible, so it's not like we can get production out of those guys either. That's why Teague is such a big surprise, because he's at least producing.

So you not only need BBIQ . . you need

- the star players

- the great head coach

- the competent front office that knows how to construct a winner

- decent complimentary players

- and once you have all of that, the BBIQ to make everything work on the court.

• Like 1

Right now . . the Lakers are down 24 points to the Mavericks at halftime. And it's not because the Lakers have horrible BBIQ. It's just that the Lakers players, other than Kobe, aren't getting it done, especially on the defensive end. On the flip side, people will say that the Mavs are playing excellent basketball, because they're moving the ball. And that's true. But it's easy to play great when you have guys like JT, Peja, and Dirk constantly knocking down jumpshots. When that happens, they have no problem in moving the ball to the open guy, because he's likely to make the shot.

It's not like that for us.

If JJ is doubled, and he passes to a wide open Marvin for a 21 foot jumper, does he make the shot? How about if the pass goes to Smith for a wide open 19 footer? And while Horford made the jumpshot outside of the paint better than anyone else in the league, he's only shooting 32% from that range in the playoffs. Even in shots in the paint that are not at the rim, he's shooting a dismal 27% in the playoffs. That's from our guy who has led the Hawks in FG% the past 3 years. No way we can win if he's playing like that. He'll have to quit shooting altogether, and allocate some of those shots to JJ and Jamal or even Teague, if we want to win tonight.

That's why Drew's motion offense is somewhat ineffective with this team. Even when we get open shots, we're liable to miss them. And we don't have a great 3 point shooter on the team, especially with Hinrich hurt. And as much as people hate the ISO that JJ and Jamal do, what other options do we have, when we have guys that can't make open jumpers, or guys that can't effectively score in the post?

We need a big that plays like a big. And to get that, we may have to part with one of our talented players to get him. As much as a loose cannon as a guy like Demarcus Cousins is, he'd make the Hawks a much better team if he were our center. If it took giving up Horford or Smith to get him, I'd do that in a heartbeat, just to balance out this team.

Until that point . . it's JJ and Jamal . . or bust.

Edited by northcyde

• Premium Member

You're being generous if you give the '06 Heat an "average" in basketball IQ, unless you're doing Harvard-style grade inflation. They won because they drew favorable matchups with undersized teams that freaked out about Shaq, underestimated Wade, and settled for jumpers instead of attacking the rim. Then again, that was probably the weakest (relative to the rest of the league at the time) championship team of the past 3 decades. It would be somewhat like the Thunder, Grizz, or Hawks breaking through to win the title this year - favorable matchups + lightning in a bottle at the right time. You can't really argue with the Larry O'Brien trophy, but you also feel like they won more because other teams fell short than because they actually were a championship-caliber team.

To draw one of my favored analogies with my other favorite sport, the '06 Heat were kind of like one-slam wonders in tennis, which seem to happen only when hits his stride and happens to play the best tennis of his life during the 2 weeks of a Grand Slam tournament, while miraculously getting into a section of the draw where he doesn't have to play his toughest potential opponents in-form. You don't see that happen as much in team sports, but you do occasionally. The '06 Heat are the recent example in basketball.

Edited by niremetal

Who came to this conclusion that as a team we have a low BBIQ? I think that is a huge lie. Joe, Jamal, Al, Teague (cuts and takes what they are giving him) Jason Collins. None of those guys are low BBIQ guys. We are not a low BBIQ club, we are a stubborn club who has been allowed to do things too often our way because we have won. Woody really deserved more respect for his winning ways, but also deserves a lot of blame for his "I don't care about offense stance".

Who came to this conclusion that as a team we have a low BBIQ? I think that is a huge lie. Joe, Jamal, Al, Teague (cuts and takes what they are giving him) Jason Collins. None of those guys are low BBIQ guys. We are not a low BBIQ club, we are a stubborn club who has been allowed to do things too often our way because we have won. Woody really deserved more respect for his winning ways, but also deserves a lot of blame for his "I don't care about offense stance".

LOL?

• Premium Member

Dallas should have won it the year the Heat won. They were easily the best team that season (well, them and the Spurs), and they messed up that season in those last few games of that series. To me they were the real championship team that season, and they were a very intelligent club for most of that season. And so, to answer your question, no, it is extremely unlikely for a team that makes as many dumb mistakes as we do to win in the playoffs. Every possession takes up more and more importance as the games go on, and having guys like Marvin who can't convert on 1 on 1 fastbreaks, and guys like Smoove who take the same terrible shot countless times at crucial times, it is just too much to overcome.

And yes, yes... it doesn't help that Horford has been sucking tremendously all playoffs.. (don't want the Josh Smith fan club to pop a vein)

To draw one of my favored analogies with my other favorite sport, the '06 Heat were kind of like one-slam wonders in tennis, which seem to happen only when hits his stride and happens to play the best tennis of his life during the 2 weeks of a Grand Slam tournament, while miraculously getting into a section of the draw where he doesn't have to play his toughest potential opponents in-form. You don't see that happen as much in team sports, but you do occasionally. The '06 Heat are the recent example in basketball.

Oh what I would give for the Hawks to be that team just once in my lifetime. :Praying: