• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Looking forward to the 2011/2012 season

• Moderators

Thankyou. Why the heck would you compare a 30 yr old seasoned vet to a 20yr old Rookie who only played half a season? The fact that you can even make that comparison shows the promise Jordan had.

First, I didn't compare them. The OP on Jordan said he was Jamal Crawford with a smaller contract. I was saying he isn't. That should be obvious yet many Jordan fans make statements about how he is Jamal's equivalent like the one above. As you sanely point out, that is a ridiculous comparison.

Dude, he had some REALLY impressive stretches with Washington. We get excited over 4 good games by Teague, but Crawford had 4-5 game stretches of 25 points and 5 assists on good shooting. Obviously not a sure thing but I guarantee you Washington fans are ecstatic about the move.

Jordan's best stretch with Washington was from March 8, 2011 through April 8, 2011. During that time, he played 17 games where he scored between 12 and 39 points and many of them were games in the 20's.

His highest % shooting day in that stretch was 9 for 17. Barely over .500.

Notably, it was the ONLY game in that stretch where he shot over .500 and that was his best stretch.

In his 42 games, he had a grand total of 3 where he took at least 3 shots and shot over .500.

He has a long way to go.

• Premium Member

JC2 put up some nice VOLUME STATS in Washington.

The problem? Volume stats don't tell the whole story. You also need to know about per possession and efficiency stats.

Among rookie guards who got decent minutes (500+), Jordan is one of only five players to use 25% or more of his team's possessions while shooting below 42.5 in eFG%. Granted, there are some good players on that list - Larry Hughes, Darrell Walker, Russell Westbrook, and Jim Jackson. He has proven to be worth a first round pick and should be able to find a home in the NBA for a while. He has a LONG way to go to proving he's going to help a winning team, though.

He reminds me a bit of Flip Murray, actually:

http://bkref.com/tiny/BNEdb

JC2 put up some nice VOLUME STATS in Washington.

The problem? Volume stats don't tell the whole story. You also need to know about per possession and efficiency stats.

Among rookie guards who got decent minutes (500+), Jordan is one of only five players to use 25% or more of his team's possessions while shooting below 42.5 in eFG%. Granted, there are some good players on that list - Larry Hughes, Darrell Walker, Russell Westbrook, and Jim Jackson. He has proven to be worth a first round pick and should be able to find a home in the NBA for a while. He has a LONG way to go to proving he's going to help a winning team, though.

He reminds me a bit of Flip Murray, actually:

http://bkref.com/tiny/BNEdb

More like Lou Williams to me.

He whom we can't spake of wasn't that much of a big piece, really. Without trading him we would've been out in the 1st round. Sure it would have been nice to have a player like him to develop (lol), but he's not good enough to wait on.

• Premium Member

First, I didn't compare them. The OP on Jordan said he was Jamal Crawford with a smaller contract. I was saying he isn't. That should be obvious yet many Jordan fans make statements about how he is Jamal's equivalent like the one above. As you sanely point out, that is a ridiculous comparison.

Jordan's best stretch with Washington was from March 8, 2011 through April 8, 2011. During that time, he played 17 games where he scored between 12 and 39 points and many of them were games in the 20's.

His highest % shooting day in that stretch was 9 for 17. Barely over .500.

Notably, it was the ONLY game in that stretch where he shot over .500 and that was his best stretch.

In his 42 games, he had a grand total of 3 where he took at least 3 shots and shot over .500.

He has a long way to go.

well during that span he had three games of 50% or better and 10 games of 44% or better. He averaged overall 21.4 points on 41% shooting.

That's not bad at all for a rookie

Bottomline is that Jordan usually takes more shots than he scores points. That is not a valuable skill. A lot of guys can score 12 points on 13 FGA.

He needs to develop significantly from where he was this season to be an impact player.

Jamal in his rookie year

1050 minutes played

35% FG

35% 3FG

79% FT

44% TS

42% eFG

8.5 PER

Jordan in his rookie year

1027 minutes played

38% FG

26% 3FG

87% FT

46% TS

42% eFG

11.8 PER

Numbers Per-36 minutes

Jamal ( on 18% usage )

9.7 ppg

4.8 asst

3.1 rebs

1.5 stls

2.9 turnovers

Jordan ( on 27% usage )

17.2 ppg

4.1 asst

3.7 rebs

1.4 stls

2.9 turnovers

Jamal significantly improved the next season before getting hurt. Then he settled into becoming the explosive, but inefficient scorer that he was known for, before his one great year in ATL. But that explosiveness kept him in the league for 10 years going.

There is a certain "it factor" that surrounds Jordan and his game. I think the Wizards know this, which is why they basically let him shoot all the time in those meaningless games they were playing after the All-Star break. It's also the reason why they had him model the uniforms alongside John Wall, instead of some of their other young players like McGee or Blatche. The Wiz wanted Jordan to realize his potential, and how to score in the NBA.

19.4 ppg - 4.7 asst - 3.6 rebs as a starter in Washington

Shot 39% FG . . and a poor 27.5% from 3. But shot 87% FT.

A lot of his inefficiency came from him jacking up too many 3's. If he gets that in check and not take as many 3s, or if he becomes a better 3 point shooter, look out.

Personally, I think every Hawk fan is going to be sick to their stomachs by this time next year, when they see the progression of Jordan. It'll just be another example of how this organization failed to evaluate a player, and now we have to see him blossom somewhere else. Even if he couldn't replace Jamal's production, he may have came close. And over the course of an 82 game season, there would've been a few games in which he flat out took over the game ( if Drew or whomever the coach is, didn't restrict him ).

Oh well . . it is what it is. Hawks just need to add the right people, even if it means trading one or more of "the core". But it may have been one less player to add, had we kept "the player who shall remain nameless"

Edited by northcyde
  • Like 1