• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Teague's value has spiked; time to sell?

ATL_BALLER

Teague's value has increased but I don't believe in trading guys whom you are not able to guage there true value. We don't even know how good Teague can be, just like we did not know how good JC2 could be. That's why I say its going to be hard to get value for Josh or Al because we don't know how good they can be. Joe, Marvin, Kirk, and Zaza are the guys we know who they are. They should be the pieces moved.

• Like 1

Can you imagine Joe the ball stopper on the same team as CP3...? I can't imagine they'd get along very well, considering CP3 obviously needs to control the ball to do what he does and Joe... well, we all know how he likes to piss the entire shot clock away jab stepping and head faking until he throws up a fadeaway.

• Premium Member

Can you imagine Joe the ball stopper on the same team as CP3...? I can't imagine they'd get along very well, considering CP3 obviously needs to control the ball to do what he does and Joe... well, we all know how he likes to piss the entire shot clock away jab stepping and head faking until he throws up a fadeaway.

Give him a point guard he trusts and he'll be fine with someone else handling the lead guard duties as long he gets his 15-18 FGAs per game (which he can get just fine off the ball). The problem is that he doesn't trust easily. The last PG he trusted like that was in the midst of winning two consecutive MVP awards.

Edited by niremetal

• Premium Member

I won't knee Jerk here.

Knee Jerk is to look at what Jefferson did and say he's untouchable now.

But rather, i would love to have CP3. Period.

Here's what I think would work:

Horf, Teague, Zaza, and Marvin for Okafor/CP3.

We lose value, they lose CP3. I would hate to lose Zaza in this.

Okafor, Smoove, __________, Joe, CP3.

There's a cascade of other moves that follows. BUt this is the start.

I wouldn't sell on Teague right now, I would hold. To further the stock market analogy, I would regard him as being like an aggressive small cap company with great potential and just primed for growth, and possibly explosive growth. I wouldn't sell a stock like that, so I wouldn't sell on Teague either.

I couldn't be any more impressed by how well he played in that series, I mean he was awesome. I loved his demeanor out there, because you never know how a young guy is going to react in that type of pressure-packed circumstance, and Teague looked just as confident and comfortable as could be out there. There was not one time in which he looked to be overwhelmed by the moment, and not one time in which he didn't look like he absolutely belonged out there. They say the true measure of a player is by how he performs in the playoffs, and if that's the case, then wow. Totally impressed. He's got some serious speed, which is a threat in and of itself because it allows him to break down the defense and drive the hoop almost at will sometimes. He reminded me of Robert Pack with that type of speed and ability to drive it on the D. Teague looked really athletic too, and he's got some hops. He is very skinny, so I'd like to see him add 10-15 more pounds of muscle and then see what the kid can do. He'd be about Derrick Rose size at that point. He also obviously needs to work on his outside shot and develop confidence in shooting a jumper, because as of right now he's just hesitant to take that shot and will often pass up a wide open J. I thought he did well running the show too. The team seemed much more settled and much calmer with Teague bringing the ball up the court and setting the offense as opposed to Joe or Jamal trying to do that, and to me the offense just seemed to flow much better under Teague, and with much better passing and ball movement involved.

I think he's a heck of a prospect. I feel very proud of him for stepping up like that, and very excited for what his future might hold for this team. Maybe we got lucky for once, eh? :biggrin:

• Like 1

Teague's brother will be in the league 2012-13. I would be willing to bet you Teague will be a borderline all-star by then. I say 13 pts 5 assists next year in 35 mpg. He will settle in to a 17 pt 7 assist guy in 2012-13 and that will be basically what he is as long as he plays for a playoff team. Chris Paul gave you 16 pts and 10 assists this year, he brings a all-nba type respect which would help but believe it or not he only got to the line about 5 times a game this year. I think Teague can get there 6 or 7 and boy do we need someone who gets to the line. Now, if you wanna know who I would really move someone for that would be Westbrook and if they somehow lose to Memphis on Sunday they will blame it all on him and might even send him shipping. His overly aggressive mentality would be great for the Hawks.

Teague's brother will be in the league 2012-13. I would be willing to bet you Teague will be a borderline all-star by then. I say 13 pts 5 assists next year in 35 mpg. He will settle in to a 17 pt 7 assist guy in 2012-13 and that will be basically what he is as long as he plays for a playoff team. Chris Paul gave you 16 pts and 10 assists this year, he brings a all-nba type respect which would help but believe it or not he only got to the line about 5 times a game this year. I think Teague can get there 6 or 7 and boy do we need someone who gets to the line. Now, if you wanna know who I would really move someone for that would be Westbrook and if they somehow lose to Memphis on Sunday they will blame it all on him and might even send him shipping. His overly aggressive mentality would be great for the Hawks.

Teague stats will probably be close this year to the range you mentioned. I'll say 13 ppg, 4.2 ast, 3 rpg, .8 bpg.

Chris Paul on a completely different level than Teague potentially could even reach. His usage rate, correlation to wins, and playmaking rates for everyone on his team makes him on the top 3 most dominate players in the NBA with Lebron and Dwight Howard. What Dwight does for a team's defense is what CP3 does for a team's offensive production. His rates and numbers are better than the best PG's to EVER play the game. Teague rates could be much better next year as far as assists but Joe will run the team since they are trying to win.

Edited by nbasuperstar40
  • Like 1

Will Cris Paul sign an extension with us b4 trade....if not is that a chance you're willing to take...giving up your future PG in Teague for Paul for 1 year.

LOL @ this even being a debate.

Forget being a very good PG, Chris Paul is damn near a HALL OF FAME caliber PG. And some of you wouldn't trade for him, just because Teague played good in 5 playoff games?

What's next? Not wanting to give up Josh Smith in exchange for Blake Griffin? Not wanting to give up Zaza in exchange for Dwight Howard? No wanting to give up Joe Johnson for Kobe Bryant?

Paul would be here a week, and after people saw him play about 3 games, Jeff Teague's name would never be mentioned agaim.

• Like 1

First off NO

and honestly i think only his value has spiked to us, he still isn't proven enough for any other team to give up something good

You never know RonM...other teams likely have an understanding that we (the Hawks) are notorious for our lack of talent evaluation and player development.

(which is pretty much true)

Plus ++...Jeff Teague didn't just have a nice little run in the regular season...he did it in the playoffs against major competition. (the MVP)

And....he did it without consistent playing time in the regular season and was basically shut out of PT early in the playoffs.

Now don't get me wrong :rolleyes: ...I think JT is a keeper...but I would bet many other teams would be fairly in the mix if we offered him up.

It goes without saying, but all of this would be contingent upon New Orleans knowing for a FACT that there is no way CP3 would re-sign with them (a la the 'Melo saga with the Nuggets). To lose a franchise player of that caliber would deal a big blow to the Hornets relationship with their fans. It would have to take Paul to publicly state that he's not coming back to New Orleans, or at least privately telling Hornets management that was the case.

• Premium Member

Buy-low-sell-high is a good strategy in any endeavor. If we can use Teague as part of a package to get a star, I say go for it. If all we're getting for him is someone like Trevor Ariza (which is all the Hornets got back for Darren Collison after his value spiked), then no. I do think, however, that we can package him with Josh to get a legit star if we shop around enough. My guess is that Kevin Love (who I'm grudgingly forced to admit is a good basketball player) or Pau Gasol might be available in a multi-team deal.

Edited by niremetal